Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

ecoli wrote: »
    If only body is in pure craving mode have domino's number on stand by as I am prepping food trying to resist the temptation...... MUST RESIST:D

You're half way through a large domino's, soon to be followed by chocolate dough balls - you dirty little rat :p. I'm off to bed on an empty stomach: oh to be young again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Stazza wrote: »
    You're half way through a large domino's, soon to be followed by chocolate dough balls - you dirty little rat :p. I'm off to bed on an empty stomach: oh to be young again.

Managed to resist. Will save it for a day I can enjoy it and not have the risk of falling asleep face first in a pizza :D

Sunday AM 5.5 miles easy (7.53 min mile pace)
    Sunday PM 7 miles easy (7.06 min mile pace)

First run felt fairly crap but to be honest I was expecting that after the session last night but amazing how much the leg loosener and a few hours rest in between helps as the legs felt good after that. All in all a very solid week 92 miles for the calendar week (Mon- Sun) including three longish singles.

The last 10 days I have been very happy with how sessions have went. Up until that point I was just ticking along overwhelmingly which in one sense I preferred. I know I sound like a broken record with this next bit but I need to guard against complacency and just keep consistently ticking off the sessions and try not to get carried away as I don't want anything to get in the way of consistency (mainly my ego trying to bust a gut in every session :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You've mentioned complacency some many times now that if any of us spot any signs of complacency we'll be all over you like a rash!! I have my motivational speech written already in case I need it! :)

pconn062 wrote: »
    You've mentioned complacency some many times now that if any of us spot any signs of complacency we'll be all over you like a rash!! I have my motivational speech written already in case I need it! :)

I think I am mentioning it more to keep reminding myself, I think sometimes I forget other people are reading :o

You will have your work cut out for you regarding motivational speeches, tRR has proved his talent there :D
    TRR wrote: »
    How about a bit of motivation? Push out of that comfort zone or get a toe up the hole!

• Advertisement

Monday 18 miles easy (7.03 min mile pace)

Was not looking forward to this one. Was down at the club coaching to start after work and nothing worse than standing in the cold while everyone else training and staying warm. With the session out of the way it was time for my own training so back home and threw on the gear and out the door.

Normally it it takes a mile or two to get into my pace but for some reason I hit the ground running (no pun intended) and ran probably the most even paced run ever. Even stranger still the I seemed to make cruise up the hills actually running majority of them faster than I did the down hills (was a very undulating loop)

Came to about mile 16 and fatigue kicked in but wasn't affecting the pace however the cold air was getting into the lungs and was getting a sickening frozen feeling right across the chest (hard to explain properly)

Looking back this was certainly one of the heavier weeks with 2 long runs and 2 +10 mile sessions in the space of 7 days but thankfully the sessions this week are spread out a bit more and are on the shorter side (No long sessions till this day next week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Monday 18 miles easy (7.03 min mile pace)

Was not looking forward to this one. Was down at the club coaching to start after work and nothing worse than standing in the cold while everyone else training and staying warm. With the session out of the way it was time for my own training so back home and threw on the gear and out the door.

Normally it it takes a mile or two to get into my pace but for some reason I hit the ground running (no pun intended) and ran probably the most even paced run ever. Even stranger still the I seemed to make cruise up the hills actually running majority of them faster than I did the down hills (was a very undulating loop)

Came to about mile 16 and fatigue kicked in but wasn't affecting the pace however the cold air was getting into the lungs and was getting a sickening frozen feeling right across the chest (hard to explain properly)

Looking back this was certainly one of the heavier weeks with 2 long runs and 2 +10 mile sessions in the space of 7 days but thankfully the sessions this week are spread out a bit more and are on the shorter side (No long sessions till this day next week)

Great run Ecoli. No harm to get an undulating loop. I think downhill's are just as important to have in runs as uphills, to strengthen the legs against micro muscle tear in the latter stages of the marathon. Handy to have 1-2 of the steady runs with some undulations for that reason. Cruising the downhills (as long as they aren't too steep) gives an extra bit of leg turnover and variation to the run.

That said, at all costs keep doing what youre doing! getting excellent mileage, hitting your sessions with control and keeping things sustainable so you can continue to get the sessions right as they gain in importance closer to April.

You are right to be constantly vigilant of complacency. View any thoughts that stray you from the path with extreme suspicion! You have your races to let go. And with the training you are doing, once you pace the first mile-2k correctly you will ace those.

Tuesday AM Sports massage
    Tuesday PM 3.5 miles recovery (9 min mile pace)

Today was all about giving the body a break. Last week was a heavy one so today was just about getting the legs flushed out. Thankfully no niggles just general heaviness although it was a good chance to get a fresh set of eyes on things and definitely one or two minor changes will need to be made to my supplementary work to work on minor imbalances before they create an issue over the coming weeks and months.

Run was a very handy one on the lunch break from work, probably should have been a mile or so longer but happy to get the half hour in to flush out the legs even more and meant the evening was free to catch up on social aspect of life which tends to get ignored somewhat in heavy training mode :D

Also managed to book off the next two weeks in work which is ideal timing as the Christmas lull is over and with races coming up next week (Dungarvan, indoors and Raheny) the phone been busy looking for appointments for pre race massages and treatments so means I can incorporate the massages back into the general routine before trying to balance them, my normal full time and the heavy training

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.19 min mile pace)
    Wednesday PM 5 miles easy (7 min mile pace)

Morning run was a little sluggish to start off with but by the end I was feeling good. This was the first day since before Christmas I had a pretty busy day with clients (with the holidays was mainly dribs and drabs) so between that and coaching down the the club meant that by the time I could get out for my session it was well after closing on eleven and the motivation was at an all time low for a session so I decided to push it back. Not ideal but have to be sensible about fitting training in around life and knew that would be more benefit with pushing a day back. Despite this I managed to muster enough energy to get out the door to get something done atleast

Careful burning the candle at both ends - I know you're young and all that, but be careful not to overdo it. Good to see the business picking up - if you want, I'll have a chat with you some time about some ideas that might help lift the business; I know what it's like starting out in a competitive market when all you've got is a couch, bottle of oil, and sore thumbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Careful burning the candle at both ends - I know you're young and all that, but be careful not to overdo it. Good to see the business picking up - if you want, I'll have a chat with you some time about some ideas that might help lift the business; I know what it's like starting out in a competitive market when all you've got is a couch, bottle of oil, and sore thumbs.

He actually has a table and a few towels as well :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    He actually has a table and a few towels as well :D

Youngsters these days - they don't know how good they got it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.19 min mile pace)
    Wednesday PM 5 miles easy (7 min mile pace)

Morning run was a little sluggish to start off with but by the end I was feeling good. This was the first day since before Christmas I had a pretty busy day with clients (with the holidays was mainly dribs and drabs) so between that and coaching down the the club meant that by the time I could get out for my session it was well after closing on eleven and the motivation was at an all time low for a session so I decided to push it back. Not ideal but have to be sensible about fitting training in around life and knew that would be more benefit with pushing a day back. Despite this I managed to muster enough energy to get out the door to get something done atleast

Good good call putting the session back. Like I said- its all about the 6 pack bet on you at the moment…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

:D:D:D You make him sound like a rent boy :pac::pac::pac: This has brightened my day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

:D:D:D You make him sound like a rent boy :pac::pac::pac: This has brightened my day!

Sounds like you are in the market??:pac:

:D

belcarra wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in the market??:pac:

Was one of my first clients :D

Unfortunately can become a habit I am terrible for being idle, to the point where I tend to over stretch and builds up and comes to a head every once in a while and consistency of training suffers however it is something I am working on.

Would be interested in getting your opinion on things something certainly and bounce a few questions and idea's off of you. I am luck in the sense that I have a good support network around me regarding this but always good to get the opinions from a new perspective (the association with Peak Sporting Performance definitely rang a bell with me considering John Gibbons MET work played a significant role in my studies among other things)

drquirky wrote: »
    Good good call putting the session back. Like I said- its all about the 6 pack bet on you at the moment…

I have heard about the pressure a club can put on a runner but this brings it to a whole new level :p

Unfortunately can become a habit I am terrible for being idle, to the point where I tend to over stretch and builds up and comes to a head every once in a while and consistency of training suffers however it is something I am working on.

Would be interested in getting your opinion on things something certainly and bounce a few questions and idea's off of you. I am luck in the sense that I have a good support network around me regarding this but always good to get the opinions from a new perspective (the association with Peak Sporting Performance definitely rang a bell with me considering John Gibbons MET work played a significant role in my studies among other things)

I 'sold/gave' the Oxford clinic to John and he's done really well. You might want to check out The Complete Sports Massage Therapist:) Butterworth Heinemann commissioned us to write the book but Gibbo wouldn't do his bit - happy to be taken out to lunch by the Editors and drink the wine etc. If I were injured and lived in England, I'd head straight to John - he's brilliant. Taught me all about MET and how to manipulate necks when you're drunk - I wouldn't recommend you try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Any truth to the rumour that you were turning tricks for free in the Phoenix Park last summer? :)

By the way, how is your weekly mileage tracking against your original plan? You're doing some work at the moment, which means to peak three weeks out from Rotterdam, you'll have to do an incredible amount of training. Just looking at your training plan there and it's pretty mind-blowing. I'd say there are a lot of professional marathon runners wouldn't hit that kind of mileage, but no better man.

It's almost a pity you finished Dublin, as it would be great to answer some of the threads on this forum with 'well, my first marathon was 2:29'!

Any truth to the rumour that you were turning tricks for free in the Phoenix Park last summer? :)

If by turning tricks you mean doing events (just in case I have a cop knocking on my door :D) Then yes I did a number of event massage gigs at races last year in the park (and other races across the country from Craughwell to Morton Games) :D
    By the way, how is your weekly mileage tracking against your original plan? You're doing some work at the moment, which means to peak three weeks out from Rotterdam, you'll have to do an incredible amount of training. Just looking at your training plan there and it's pretty mind-blowing. I'd say there are a lot of professional marathon runners wouldn't hit that kind of mileage, but no better man.

To be honest I am happy with how the mileage has gone there has been a fairly natural progression over the last 5 months building from about 55-60 up to about 80 before Christmas and since then has built up to average around 90 hopefully for the next few weeks. The plan will probably top out at about 105-110 to be honest I am more focused on getting consistently decent mileage rather than over reaching so if I don't reach that I won't stress too much. Main change in the Marathon specific stuff won't be higher mileage but rather progression within sessions but there will be a number of 22-26 mile runs within that last 10 weeks but this will be balanced out with adequate recovery from the sessions.
    It's almost a pity you finished Dublin, as it would be great to answer some of the threads on this forum with 'well, my first marathon was 2:29'!

Looks better on the coaching CV better to be able to say I went from 3 hrs to sub 2.35 in 6 months off this training though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Does the coaching CV better to be able to say I went from 3 hrs to sub 2.35 in 6 months off this training though ;)
    You'll certainly be a good advert for high mileage anyway! By the time the marathon comes around, if you can continue to follow the bones of that plan, I'd hope you'll be running closer to sub 2:30 than sub 2:35 (if there's any justice in the world).

I 'sold/gave' the Oxford clinic to John and he's done really well. You might want to check out The Complete Sports Massage Therapist:)

Any idea where I could pick up a copy? Can't find any place that seems to have it in stock.

You'll certainly be a good advert for high mileage anyway! By the time the marathon comes around, if you can continue to follow the bones of that plan, I'd hope you'll be running closer to sub 2:30 than sub 2:35 (if there's any justice in the world).

In terms of shape hopefully however given this is my first time to do a marathon properly there will still be a lot of variables (fueling and the mental aspects) which will come into play and as such I won't be taking anything for granted.

Any idea where I could pick up a copy? Can't find any place that seems to have it in stock.

Sorry, I got pulled away mid-post and replied. It never happened. Gibbo was busy lecturing and finishing his osteopathy degree and I was all over the country setting up, managing, and selling clinics. This helped me avoid the Editors after we'd ate and drank like kings:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Really enjoying your log,you seem to much more consistant and showing in races.

Really enjoying your log,you seem to much more consistant and showing in races.

Cheers man I think this time round I am doing things a bit better and finally approaching my training a bit more objectively as I would anyone I coach (hardest people to coach are yourself and family IMO) as well as a few other factors:

1) Long runs have been regular
    2) I am not trying to knock every session out of the park but rather focus on doing things consistently decent
    3) Incorporating regular gym work and plyometrics which I feel is standing to me
    4) Long Tempos

Good to see you coming back nicely, look after yourself and take it handy and the fitness will come back in no time, just be patient.

Thursday PM 3 miles easy, 5 miles tempo, 3 miles easy

Tempo: 5 miles in 29.12 (5.50 min mile pace)

5.51, 5.48, 5.44, 5.56, 5.53

Welcome to the grind :)

Rather than feeling nice and refreshed after pushing the session back today I felt worse. Legs felt good but I was fried, was trying to put my finger on what it was so mind was running through every possibility - bad sleep, burning candle at both end's finally catching up on me, a dull toothache which had come on, even the suggestion of caffeine withdrawals (hadn't had a coffee yesterday:p). What ever it was the session was not happening this morning and as the day went on there was not a fibre in my body that felt like running so I had to try and establish a training mantra which would set in by the time I was finished work.

Must have been going crazy because started hearing little voices with every cheesey motivational slogan I could think of "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" was one which repeated itself a few times but ultimately asking myself one question did it "If you can't dig in and do a 5 mile tempo how are you gonna dig in when you are hurting in Rotterdam?". With that I was out the door on the warm up and no turning back now. Despite the legs feeling fine all day all of a sudden they were heavy and a little sore, the mind obviously throwing one last ditch effort in to stop me, wasn't gonna work.

I knew with how crap I was feeling this was not a session that I was gonna worry about splits for, it was simply the fact that it had been built up between the postponement yesterday and the way I was feeling all day so I uncharacteristically changed the display to distance only and decided just run off feel completely and I was just gonna go off feel. Normally I am ok for feel as long as I set a marker with odd glance at the watch so didn't know how this was gonna go.

Surprisingly despite never feeling great on this one I was still quite controlled. Finished the session to see decent splits (nothing earth shattering but a good session none the less) was also surprised looking back at the relatively even splits considering I had no idea of paces.

Can finally move on from this session and hopefully start feeling a bit better. The sessions you bust out great splits are all well and good but I know myself it is sessions like this that I will use when the going gets tough so I'll take that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Must have been going crazy because started hearing little voices with every cheesey motivational slogan I could think of "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

If you're starting to hear Fr Fehily in your head it's probably worse than caffeine withdrawl ;)

Advertisement