Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Friday AM 80 min gym work + 10x10m resistance sprints

Up early this morning and knew I wasn't gonna get back to sleep so before I had a chance to talk myself out of it I was in the gym clothes and down ready to go. I was expecting it to be pretty busy with the pre work 9-5'ers but I think monthly pay day probably had a few victims and the new years resolutionists start to fall by the waist side so was perfect and pretty much had access to all machines I wanted when I wanted without any waiting around.

Finished it up with some resistance sprints, first time I have had access to this bit of equipment in this gym but it was a great addition to the overall workout. Happy enough with that and the mental block which enveloped me the last two days seems to be behind me thankfully

Also PB on the Leg press today with 210kg (its the little things in life :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »
    Friday AM 80 min gym work + 10x10m resistance sprints

Are you gonna log that as 0.062 Mile on the 1000 Mile challenge?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you gonna log that as 0.062 Mile on the 100 Mile challenge?

Treadmill running and indoor gym work don't count ;) (funny enough never actually count my strides or short sprints as part of mileage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

it is sessions like this that I will use when the going gets tough so I'll take that :D

+1 they always feel better when you come out the other end of them. What are you targeting for Raheny?

+1 they always feel better when you come out the other end of them. What are you targeting for Raheny?

I dunno I am starting to suspect man flu with the way I have been feeling most of today since the gym so hopefully it wasn't a foolish move :( Time will tell.

All going well aim is low 27s (anything under 27.21 would be happy with)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I dunno I am starting to suspect man flu with the way I have been feeling most of today since the gym so hopefully it wasn't a foolish move :( Time will tell.

sweet jesus, when will the researchers find a cure for this affliction. It's a well known fact that manflu has claimed more lives than world wars 1&2 and the 1918 flu pandemic combined.

TRR wrote: »
    sweet jesus, when will the researchers find a cure for this affliction. It's a well known fact that manflu has claimed more lives than world wars 1&2 and the 1918 flu pandemic combined.

Probably because its too dangerous to be working with any strain of the virus even in a clinical enviroment its like playing with fire, just ask this guy

hqdefault.jpg

I am saying my novena's that I manage to not contrain full on man flu but if not my Rotterdam entry and modship will be issued to someone in due time when I get my affairs in order :(

1) Good night sleep - 10 hours -check
    2) Sweat more than a junkie going cold turkey - 2 duvets and a hoody to bed - check
    3) Hydration - effervescent tabs and lemon slices in hot water to beat the band - check
    4) Repeat step 2 - 40 min steam room - Check
    5) Increased fruit and veg intake - Super juice (carrot, apple, ginger and celery) - check

Still feeling like crap so I reckon the weekend is a write off but just looking to attack this aggressively and get back on my feet as soon as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

1) Good night sleep - 10 hours -check
    2) Sweat more than a junkie going cold turkey - 2 duvets and a hoody to bed - check
    3) Hydration - effervescent tabs and lemon slices in hot water to beat the band - check
    5) Increased fruit and veg intake - Super juice (carrot, apple, ginger and celery) - check

Still feeling like crap so I reckon the weekend is a write off but just looking to attack this aggressively and get back on my feet as soon as possible

I mentioned on T's log, plums, cinnamon, raw organic cocoa powder, and goji berries - the business with all this stuff. Hope you get well soon. xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

That seems like a strange thing to do when you're sick

• Advertisement

That seems like a strange thing to do when you're sick

Increased circulation is one reason behind it however the more influential factor would be..

Never underestimate the power of placebo, deep down I know this things won't be the miracle cure however I also know how much the mind can help with regards healing properties and as such having an "active" approach to sickness while remaining in the realms of sensibility (not trying to do a session to sweat it out or run through it) is something that will hopefully help me.

Saturday OFF

Sunday OFF

Sunday I felt a good bit of improvement (lymph nodes returning to normal and less aches) so I stuck with a repeated ecoli 5 point program to the point where I was half tempted to do a few easy miles however I thought better of it.

Monday AM 5.5 miles easy (7.27 min mile pace)

Was happy that the illness had only really been a minor set back and I think I got it before it got too bad. Though the mileage took a major hit I still managed an 18 miler, a tempo and a gym session so not a completely bust week. Legs felt great from the last few days off bar a little residual aches in the hamstrings (deadlifts plus illness had them in ribbons). I felt a little laboured in the breathing though and I am hoping that this was just down to an early run after not a great night sleep (drunken taxi requests from siblings at 3am :mad: )
    Ill hold off on making a call on session tomorrow though I could knock it on the head as its a long steady run and would play havoc on the immune system if I am not fully recovered I won't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Keep an eye on the HR over your next couple of runs and at rest. That should give you a good indication of how your body's doing. Savage training recently though, fair play.

Keep an eye on the HR over your next couple of runs and at rest. That should give you a good indication of how your body's doing. Savage training recently though, fair play.

I have been keeping an eye on it as an indicator and if I am honest it is something I probably should have paid a little more attention to last week as it was slightly elevated at rest the few days building up to illness but I put it down to tiredness.I suppose that is a good reason why having a coach to be able to look objectively can be better than not training yourself, sometimes as we are to involved and let our pride/ambition cloud our decisions. Very hard to admit when the right time to pull back is (kinda had a sense myself but it was a few days too late looking back given the week before I had 2x18 mile runs and 2 long sessions in 7 days I knew I had to pull back a bit but the damage had already been done)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Bag the session, run the light session w/ me on Thurs, nice, easy running the rest of the week and race your ass off on Sunday. Consolidate your fitness- hammer out a massive pb and use it as a big confidence boost going into your marathon specific phase.

Just my 2 cents….

drquirky wrote: »
    Bag the session, run the light session w/ me on Thurs, nice, easy running the rest of the week and race your ass off on Sunday. Consolidate your fitness- hammer out a massive pb and use it as a big confidence boost going into your marathon specific phase.

Just my 2 cents….

That's what logic is telling me to do alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

drquirky wrote: »

Just my 2 cents….

Great advice.

Monday PM 6.5 miles easy (7.29 min mile pace)

Felt good bit better on this one but was probably down to having company, neither of us looking at the watch so just going with it and caught up the ramblings of two TAC members (so fair amount of shíté :D). The two weeks off work means rare aul time I get to run with him despite him living across the road (mind you I probably wouldn't be in the same post code if I tried stay with him in sessions but the easy runs will do fine :D)

Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (7.16 min mile pace)
    Tuesday PM 8.5 miles easy (7.30 min mile pace)
    Tuesday Evening 1 hour gym session

Felt very relax and easy on the first run. Was wrapped up fairly well and think I sweat out what is hopefully the remnants of what has been at me. Got this one out of the way early with with a couple of treatments in the AM this morning I wanted to get in before so that I wouldn't be squashing training in.

PM another run with Tom and flew in, nice and handy and the company passed the time pretty quickly.

A little stuck for time after this as was down at the club coaching and till half eight and the gym closed at 10 but managed to fit everything in without too much trouble (well bar getting the stink eye on the resistance sprints as they were trying to wrap up :D)

Wednesday AM 10 miles easy (7.28 min mile pace)

Into PP for a handy one with quirky this morning. I don't think I have managed to run with people 3 days in a row since college great to have the freedom to be able to meet people this week. Small bit of DOMS from the gym last night but other than that just ran handy.

• Advertisement

Have you entered Rotterdam yet???????? You are reminding me of my sister's (not ososlo, the other one ;)) wedding this year. It was abroad and a month before it the only person who hadn't made any arrangements was my sister! At the time I was wondering was she having cold feet*. Just wondering the same about you young man ;):pac:

*she wasn't, was just being lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just wondering the same about you young man
    Wait.... ecoli is marrying your sister?:confused: You Tallaght lads certainly like to keep everything close to home.

Wait.... ecoli is marrying your sister?:confused: You Tallaght lads certainly like to keep everything close to home.

Selective breathing keeps the quality of athlete pure, any cross breeds are farmed out to our Loop the Loop neighbours :D

TRR would you believe I am an entrant as of 3.15 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Selective breathing keeps the quality of athlete pure, any cross breeds are farmed out to our Loop the Loop neighbours :D

TRR would you believe I am an entrant as of 3.15 today
    I doubt it. Might make your inspired air a bit cleaner but I'd say that's about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I doubt it. Might make your inspired air a bit cleaner but I'd say that's about it :D
    Spelling was bred out of them a couple of generations ago (that'd be around 20 years ago by my reckoning).

He's a graduate of UCD!!!! That's where the damage to his education was done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You are reminding me of my sister's (not ososlo, the other one ;)) [/SIZE]

Newbygirl?? ;)

Whoops :o

Really need to actually start looking at what I type half the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Newbygirl?? ;)

Nope - that's just his alter ego ;) a bit scary how one self posts about the other self

• Advertisement

Wednesday PM Hip mobility session
    Wednesday Evening 6.5 miles easy (7.15 min mile pace)

Down to the club for coaching tonight and jumped in on the hurdle work with the girls. Session itself was pretty light with a number of them running at the weekend so it was perfect for me as I had done gym work yesterday. When I first booked these two weeks off work I thought I would have loads of free time but as the week has gone on I have managed to find other stuff to fill the free time.

By the time I got finished up at the club I was home in time to see the season get even worse with another bad night as a Utd supporter (hopefully Mata will be a silver lining) then out for a handy run.

Advertisement