Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ecoli wrote: »
    By the time I got finished up at the club I was home in time to see the season get even worse with another bad night as a Utd supporter

So tempted to put this into the rave thread...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why do people keep talking about football? Doesn't everyone know that football took a year off to honour the retirement of the greatest manager ever? I can't wait for it to start again in August...

RayCun wrote: »
    Why do people keep talking about football? Doesn't everyone know that football took a year off to honour the retirement of the greatest manager ever? I can't wait for it to start again in August...

Oh all the talk will all be about the Europa League next year, huh??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

belcarra wrote: »
    Oh all the talk will all be about the Europa League next year, huh??:D

Talk about Mr. Cup half full :D The only thing that I can say is to all the Moyes out fanboys

You can't keep Utd down for too long

Talk about Mr. Cup half full :D The only thing that I can say is to all the Moyes out fanboys

You can't keep Utd down for too long

I'll be reposting this in a few months when 'The Chosen One' is getting his P45!:pac:

• Advertisement

Thursday AM
    2 mile easy, 4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200 w/200 jog rec, 2 miles easy

Splits:
    32, 33, 33, 33
    74, 74
    75, 73
    34, 34, 34, 32

Down to the track with quirky for the usual pre race mini session. I was a little tight around the hips and glutes from last night and a bit apprehensive but this was short lived. Forgot my training shorts but thankfully I was wearing a pair anyway (basketball length mind you but with compression on the inside so despite looking a bit strange lining up to do a session they were not an issue).
    First set of twos were into the wind so it accounted for them being that little bit fast, the 400s were night an controlled. Really went for it in the 800 and delighted to have my fastest ever split for this session on this one and then was pretty much smooth sailing from there

Very happy with this session, I felt strong, stride was smooth and form was good and times were good despite a small bit of wind. Was great to do a bit of quicker work for the first time in a week and good confidence booster for the weekend

belcarra wrote: »
    I'll be reposting this in a few months when 'The Chosen One' is getting his P45!:pac:

1st manager after Fergie was always gonna be a poison chalice. Prefer to see him given atleast another two seasons rather than turn into Chelsea post Mourinho (the first time he left)

Thursday PM 4 miles recovery (8.17 min mile pace)

Just a very handy one to loosen out the legs this evening. Standing around for two hours in the cold coaching kids is not conducive to overall body temperature :( I was freezing by the time I ran myself though I managed to resist the temptation to run any quicker in a vain attempt to warm up. Ran with the house mate for this one and reckon I frustrated him a little with the pace as he is generally one who aims to run his easy runs wayy too hard for current fitness levels (mind remembers the runner he was when he was younger much better than his body unfortunately)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

1st manager after Fergie was always gonna be a poison chalice. Prefer to see him given atleast another two seasons

Me too :D

Running wise, you are flying!

Friday 8 miles easy (7.18 min mile pace)

Very handy one for this one today, felt really easy thankfully and no major issues bar one scare of nearly going over on the ankle which is twice this week (typical of a race week to become clumsy :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

good luck Sunday! I'll be keeping a keen eye out for results Sunday evening ;)

TRR wrote: »
    good luck Sunday! I'll be keeping a keen eye out for results Sunday evening ;)

Ill text you after it if it helps quell the panic caused by the anticipation ;)

Ill text you after it if it helps quell the panic caused by the anticipation ;)

nah you're grand. I'll sit down with a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit Sunday evening and decide what needs to be done based on what happens during the course of Sunday afternoon

nah you're grand. I'll sit down with a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit Sunday evening and decide what needs to be done based on what happens during the course of Sunday afternoon

I would hold off on the biscuit till after results have been seen, you know, just in case ;)

I would hold off on the biscuit till after results have been seen, you know, just in case ;)

Or alternatively maybe I should have a big bar of chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Good luck tomorrow Ecoli, you look to be in great shape. Its a great course, give it sox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good luck tomorrow ecoli.

Or alternatively maybe I should have a big bar of chocolate.

Enjoy your chocolate.... for now;)

Enjoy your chocolate.... for now;)

I've just ordered a Chinese and an taking a week off training ;)

Didn't get out for a recovery run last night due to unforeseen circumstances and breathing difficulties going into the race today so didn't know how I was gonna fair in this one but was just gonna give it a lash.

Was hoping once I got going the breathing might clear itself up. Gun went and was a bit further back than I usually am but took the start nice and conservative. About 500m in and heard quirky on my shoulder, you could see the glint of Sam Adams Summer Ale in one eye and the thirst for my scalp in the other (thanks to the professional motivator that is tRR). I saw that there was a a group forming just up ahead of me that I thought would be perfect for working into the wind so I dropped a surge and took up on their shoulders, legs felt good but was already breathing heavy which was not a good omen.

Turned onto the howth road and was tucked into a nice group with KielyUnusual at the fore, they were slowing a little too much for my liking however and dropped another surge to which quirky and KU reacted well to and pushed on ahead of me. Turned out of the wind then to find myself side by side with the diminutive figure of Bro Pearse's heroine, I knew I would never live it down if I was taken so pushed on from here.

The third mile I was trying to reel in KU and quirky but not making much ground to be honest despite running well, legs felt really good at this pace and breathing despite not being great was not too laboured.

Down on the coast road and pace was ok but I was starting to breath heavy, thoughts of dropping out where not only floating into the head but seeming like they would win out. I just had to keep reminding myself that I have never DNF'ed a race in my life, a record which I plan on never relinquishing. I was gassed however at this stage despite the legs not feeling too bad. Last mile was pretty pitiful to be honest, didn't take the hill well at all and at first. Seeing quirky in the distance he was looking around for me and at the watch far too much which had me thinking there may possibly still be a chance of reeling him in, gained ground but not enough to mount any sort of decent challenge in the end finished strong but no major sprint to finish in

27.50 unofficial, 27.45 chip time

Am I happy with the result? In terms of the time, not particularly, I could say the breathing was an issue or the wind but I know myself that I was over 30 seconds off where I should be given my shape but had everything gone right would I have PB'ed? I honest don't know. I am happy with my finishing place with regards to some of the competitors in or around me

The result is what it is, onwards and upwards from here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

man-flu still in the system?
    don't under-estimate the effect

dna_leri wrote: »
    man-flu still in the system?
    don't under-estimate the effect

Nah its not manflu, breathing issues are of a non illness related issue, hopefully will clear up in a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That's great running today considering the circumstances:mad:. Your training up to this point would have you much further up the field without the breathing issues. I'm sure you won't even remember it come April in any case. I had a bad race here last year and if anything it spurred me on for London a few months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Nice beard btw;).

That's great running today considering the circumstances:mad:. Your training up to this point would have you much further up the field without the breathing issues. I'm sure you won't even remember it come April in any case. I had a bad race here last year and if anything it spurred me on for London a few months later.

Thanks man, great run yourself today ran smart and raced well

Nice beard btw;).

The idea was that it was going when I pb but that didnt exactly go to plan and another month till the next race so I dunno :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The idea was that it was going when I pb but that didnt exactly go to plan and another month till the next race so I dunno :D

Hopefully you'll pb much sooner than Tom Huddlestone took to score a goal :D

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll pb much sooner than Tom Huddlestone took to score a goal :D

If you don't count DCM (never ran the distance before) its 17 months and counting so I am certainly primed for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nice beard btw;).

Was just goons ask were you sporting a beard now. I said hello to you on the way into the hall after but wasn't 100% sure with the beard.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Was just goons ask were you sporting a beard now. I said hello to you on the way into the hall after but wasn't 100% sure with the beard.

Did I respond? Sorry was a little out of it for most of the day so apologies to you and anyone else if I came off a little rude (pretty sure there are one or two people I was talking to that looking back I probably wasn't all quite there :o)

Advertisement