Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Saturday 2.5 miles shakeout (8.32 min mile pace)

Sunday 1st PB since Sept 2012 and an unexpected one at that given the month that been in it :D Report to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

ecoli wrote: »
    Saturday 2.5 miles shakeout (8.32 min mile pace)

Sunday 1st PB since Sept 2012 and an unexpected one at that given the month that been in it :D Report to follow

Meno was telling me the time, fantastic running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just spotted it in the results earlier...figured it was a PB alright. Savage time and especially so given your February. Well done.

Since knocking Rotterdam on the head this was a bit of a freebie race before I start transitioning back to more 10k style work. I had no expectations and no real time target - had mentioned sub 77.30 before the race kicked off to some people but to be honest this was more just a ball park figure.

The week had gone well and I was finally over the abysmal few weeks with regards the nose both mentally and physically was feeling a good bit better and a half decent session during the week helped.

Finding out we had 4 to score we weren't sure we had a team (one or two lads looking to do PMP paces) but we saw one of the lads show up and the team was looking pretty decent and there became a bit of pressure on me to up my game to ensure as 4th scorer I wouldn't let the team down.

Gun went off and I took it fairly handy at first. Plan was to head out around 5.55 pace for the first few and see how I felt. Settled in nice and relaxed for the first few miles taking it very handy but the splits were decent and even a bit on the quick side but I was feeling very comfortable. Mile 1: 5.49

I was up on the lad from the clubs shoulder after about 2 miles who I expected to be 3rd scorer who started conservatively so I just thought go with him till he picks it up so tipping along nice all going according to plan. Missed the split on the watch but I knew it was on target for what I had initially planned. Mile 2: 5.56

Mile 3 and I pushed on with the other Tallaght athlete. This is a guy who just races, no watch, no expectation of what paces he runs at just simply races the people around him. Coming past the three mile mark I was laughing to myself when I realised that I was running effectively the same pace that I had raced at the week before in the Parkrun. Passed dublinrunner around here who looked to be running well so thought he may come with us Mile 3: 5.44

Next two miles and we were cruising reeling people in. I was in a very good place and the initial target was looking well achieveable. Sub 77 was even looking good. I had a quick glance at the race map before the race and thought there was a hill here that I was expecting and going over the motorway I thought it was it and thinking to myself people were really bigging this up wayy to much Mile 4: 5.43

Bit of a downhill now and we were making ground on a group up ahead of us (still me and the other Tallaght AC guy working together) cruising along and I was just waiting for the wheels to start to come off though I was in a good place so just kept going and managed to recharge the batteries a bit on the downhill. Mile 5: 5.39

Came to a sharp turn and finally realised this was the hill I had been expecting. Not the worst (resembled the one in Kilcock Kilomathon yet not half as bad which was probably a bit of a mental boost). I took the foot off the pedal a little here going up the hill worrying that I could gas easily given the nose and the other Tallaght AC got about two metres on me but came off the hill unscathed Mile 6: 5.52

Once got past the hill I took control and pushed on moving fairly well. There was a bit of a long drag here into the wind but kept the head down and just kept working. bit of encouragement helped from the club captain and the supports as we moved onto the second lap Mile 7: 5.47

Next mile and there was a bit of tooing and frowing between me and the other TAC guy but I think it helped drive both of us on and we picked up a few more scalps that were dropping off a group which we had targetted early in the race Mile 8: 5.44

Mile nine and fatigue was starting to set in. I was starting to hurt but was really happy with the way I was going and refused to let your man get any bit of a gap as we stayed glued to each other. Still baffled by the other runner especially with a few comments like "what mile are we on?" or "so is this 77 min pace" (assumed it was because that's what I had mentioned before the race to him as target) and I am thinking to myself surely you must be fairly in tune with your body to know if you don't run with a watch but yet there was no stopping him. Mile 9: 5.52

Came over the flyover at the right time as it meant that pace was dropping back down despite me hurting. Hit the 10 mile mark and looking at the time I figured I was on for a high 76 roughly so I was very happy with how it was going especially as I knew the next 2 miles were fairly favourable Mile 10: 5.45

Pace - check, feeling- good, confidence - high. Thoughts started creeping into the head of taking the other Tallaght athlete and wondering just how strong he was. The marathon long runs would stand to me here and I reckoned I should be able to give him a good run for his money. Mile 11: 5.43

Another favourable mile and I knew that this was the last one that I had to maintain before the real race kicked in so opened up the stride and continued to push feeling strong. Other guy was reacting to every move I made and making a few of his own but there was no fear of us shaking each other. Took the hill this time round a bit harder thinking that my strength would stand to me more by taking that hill. Mile 12:5.44

Last mile and this was crunch time. We had be effectively joined at the hip since about mile 2 but I was in a good place and today was a day to bounce back from the mental demons that had been plaguing me for the last month. If he was going to beat me he was going to have to do it the hard way. Said to myself that with a mile to go I would only have roughly 5 min of hard work to go. Got to a mile though and the move I made was not that decisive. Upped the pace again trying to break him, he reacted, a third time and again he wasn't gonna be shook. Tried once more and he responded. I was out of extra gears so just kept driving hard into the wind. Mile 13: 5.47

Turned onto the track and saw the clock just tick over 76. There was still a PB there for the taking so I gave it one more go, the legs responded and then some. The sprint finished blitzed the other Tallaght athlete putting about 4 seconds on him in the space of 100m and crossed the line in a new PB of 76.12 (only 8 seconds but delighted)

This was the first time that I have every crossed the line and shouted "YES!" out of sheer delighted simply because I hadn't the slightest expectation of being anywhere near my PB and also great to get the first one in 18 months after the abysmal year last year.

Afterthought
    Given the fact that this month hasn't been great training the fact that I PB'ed bodes well as there is definitely more in the tank (not on the day but in general). Few people mentioned reconsidering Rotterdam but I know myself the training is not there for the full to do justice so I am going to keep the mileage up and turn to a few 10ks and keep the consistency going to have a proper attempt on Marathon in Autumn

blockic wrote: »
    Just spotted it in the results earlier...figured it was a PB alright. Savage time and especially so given your February. Well done.

8 seconds but ill take it haha:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Well done Luke. Nice PB birthday present for you.

Also, you beat my time from last year on the same course by 1 second too, ya bastid! :P

Maybe not Rotterdam, but would you consider a different marathon in May or that kind of timeframe? Then again, it might be a better idea to hold off until Autumn and push for the sub 2.30. Would look a strong possibility, progressing from the shape you are in now.

Well done Luke. Nice PB birthday present for you.

Also, you beat my time from last year on the same course by 1 second too, ya bastid! :P

Maybe not Rotterdam, but would you consider a different marathon in May or that kind of timeframe? Then again, it might be a better idea to hold off until Autumn and push for the sub 2.30. Would look a strong possibility, progressing from the shape you are in now.

The thought had crossed my mind alright but I think this the more sensible approach. Initially with Rotterdam the plan was to get a good solid 12 months training under my belt but due to my course/ laziness that became 6 so even though training was going well I was always somewhat chasing fitness so I think it might not be a bad idea just to try and get a consistent stint in going into marathon training in Autumn off 10 months of good solid training (despite Feb not being great wasn't a total disaster).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great race and time and a timely confidence booster.

Well done.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That must have felt great. Super performance all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I think pacing of someone you knew well worked for you.Id still love to see you race without a watch and see what you can do.
    Well done today,always nice to get a pb but even more when you least expect it.
    What is the next race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super racing, well done on a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Very strong run today. Brilliantly paced. Looking at your splits, I definitely set out to fast. I blame the cold, dying to get going at the start so I took off a bit....natural order was resumed when you overtook me at Mile 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running and great report....

Nose? What nose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done. Great result today. Horrible day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Well done on the pb, pity your not doing R'dam but its better to be patient when it comes to marathons. Ya only get 1-2 good shots in a year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Well done on the pb, pity your not doing R'dam but its better to be patient when it comes to marathons. Ya only get 1-2 good shots in a year..

Unless your name is Gary O'Hanlon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done - great result and well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Since knocking Rotterdam on the head this was a bit of a freebie race before I start transitioning back to more 10k style work. I had no expectations and no real time target - had mentioned sub 77.30 before the race kicked off to some people but to be honest this was more just a ball park figure..........

Turned onto the track and saw the clock just tick over 76. There was still a PB there for the taking so I gave it one more go, the legs responded and then some. The sprint finished blitzed the other Tallaght athlete putting about 4 seconds on him in the space of 100m and crossed the line in a new PB of 76.12 (only 8 seconds but delighted)

This was the first time that I have every crossed the line and shouted "YES!" out of sheer delighted simply because I hadn't the slightest expectation of being anywhere near my PB and also great to get the first one in 18 months after the abysmal year last year.

Afterthought
    Given the fact that this month hasn't been great training the fact that I PB'ed bodes well as there is definitely more in the tank (not on the day but in general). Few people mentioned reconsidering Rotterdam but I know myself the training is not there for the full to do justice so I am going to keep the mileage up and turn to a few 10ks and keep the consistency going to have a proper attempt on Marathon in Autumn

Well deserved PB! Its been a tough month but that run is a vindication of all the previous work. In fact, i think you made a breakthrough with your training and if you use this result to drive on your 10k phase, there are very serious times there for you this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

+1

Fcuk pacing Limerick and race the damn thing. You've 8 or 9 weeks. You don't have to flog yourself, run 6-7 80+ mile weeks with a couple of tempos and you'll get around to a 2.45. You could place top 5 with that and who knows could run faster or place higher. I know that time is not grabbing you by the balls but the vast majority of marathon runners have to do an apprenticeship of sorts. You have to run a marathon before realistically setting a goal time. I'm going to say it now, 2.30 was not a realistic marathon time for your first marathon. I've no doubt you can run it in a couple of years though. I've actually money on with 2 people in the club regards this matter. Nothing can really prepare you for a marathon, you need to suffer and in some cases explode before you truly get to learn how to run close to your optimum for 26 miles. 2.45 probably sounds easy to you, you should hit it but it won't be easy. It will also help you learn how to adapt and tweak your training.

I'm sayig this to your here as you never listen to anything I say to your face ;) And by the way, I don't want to hear about that nose anymore. It is an issue, but it is not significant enough to negatively impact your training from here on.

I may also repost this is the rant thread. I'm off to kick a puppy and pinch my kids until they wake up :cool:

PS great running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great to get a pay-off from the previous body of training (and affirms that your training strategy is bang on). Good decision on Rotterdam too. Much better to run a marathon to your potential, than settle for something that would be less than your ability (and your real target). I still have 8 seconds on ye though. :p

• Advertisement

I think pacing of someone you knew well worked for you.Id still love to see you race without a watch and see what you can do.
    Well done today,always nice to get a pb but even more when you least expect it.
    What is the next race?

Cheers man yeah it definitely helped alright. With regards the watch I have tried doing it a few times at shorter races but I think with the longer stuff I don't know if I would have the confidence to do it. Blowing up in short race there are always more opportunities to try again but for HMs or Marathons I think it would take a hell of alot to get me to risk it.

In terms of the short term plan a few more 10k style sessions, keep the mileage up and probably the GIR or K club 10 k

T runner wrote: »
    Well deserved PB! Its been a tough month but that run is a vindication of all the previous work. In fact, i think you made a breakthrough with your training and if you use this result to drive on your 10k phase, there are very serious times there for you this summer.

Cheers T. This is the sort of mind frame I am in also, hopefully just gotta keep going the way I was before my little set back.

TRR wrote: »
    +1

Fcuk pacing Limerick and race the damn thing. You've 8 or 9 weeks. You don't have to flog yourself, run 6-7 80+ mile weeks with a couple of tempos and you'll get around to a 2.45. You could place top 5 with that and who knows could run faster or place higher. I know that time is not grabbing you by the balls but the vast majority of marathon runners have to do an apprenticeship of sorts. You have to run a marathon before realistically setting a goal time. I'm going to say it now, 2.30 was not a realistic marathon time for your first marathon. I've no doubt you can run it in a couple of years though. I've actually money on with 2 people in the club regards this matter. Nothing can really prepare you for a marathon, you need to suffer and in some cases explode before you truly get to learn how to run close to your optimum for 26 miles. 2.45 probably sounds easy to you, you should hit it but it won't be easy. It will also help you learn how to adapt and tweak your training.

I'm sayig this to your here as you never listen to anything I say to your face ;) And by the way, I don't want to hear about that nose anymore. It is an issue, but it is not significant enough to negatively impact your training from here on.

I may also repost this is the rant thread. I'm off to kick a puppy and pinch my kids until they wake up :cool:

PS great running :)

A rant is one way to blow off steam after you absolute nail a race I suppose (congrats again man savage running)

To be honest you nearly did have me convinced when you mentioned this previously. With regards my original target I agree with you 2.30 was ambitious as hell, looking back I have always had that sort of mind set at the initial part of planning for target races but I listen to the body and times get revised to more realistic targets as I get closer to the races and the specific sessions provide a benchmark of fitness.

With regards the 2.45 thing, its not that I feel it will be easy but I think mentally I would be better served from building up a better aerobic base over the summer and targeting an Autumn one. I think a few solid shorter races will set me up mentally as I agree with you with regards the nose that today showed its well behind me and that the mental side that let me down and I am hoping that a summer of good training and racing will help. This exposed mental fragility is something I want to address somewhat if that makes any sense.

Great to get a pay-off from the previous body of training (and affirms that your training strategy is bang on). Good decision on Rotterdam too. Much better to run a marathon to your potential, than settle for something that would be less than your ability (and your real target). I still have 8 seconds on ye though. :p

Not so much settle but I do want to run through a full marathon cycle feeling I put in the consistent work and things went to plan before toeing the line. Will have to work hard now for those extra 9 seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A rant is one way to blow off steam after you absolute nail a race I suppose (congrats again man savage running)

To be honest you nearly did have me convinced when you mentioned this previously. With regards my original target I agree with you 2.30 was ambitious as hell, looking back I have always had that sort of mind set at the initial part of planning for target races but I listen to the body and times get revised to more realistic targets as I get closer to the races and the specific sessions provide a benchmark of fitness.

With regards the 2.45 thing, its not that I feel it will be easy but I think mentally I would be better served from building up a better aerobic base over the summer and targeting an Autumn one. I think a few solid shorter races will set me up mentally as I agree with you with regards the nose that today showed its well behind me and that the mental side that let me down and I am hoping that a summer of good training and racing will help. This exposed mental fragility is something I want to address somewhat if that makes any sense.

My two cents? If you have a mental fragility it certainly isn't on race day. You nailed it today and it was very impressive to see. Mental fragility when training is another thing and maybe that's where the issue is but over analyzing (not saying you!) maybe doesn't help. Going by today, the training done has done you the world of good. If I were advising you, I would recommend hitting a marathon in May/June. There is no better experience of marathon running/training than to actually run a marathon.

Waiting for the 'perfect' training cycle and preparation is just that, waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not so much settle but I do want to run through a full marathon cycle feeling I put in the consistent work and things went to plan before toeing the line. Will have to work hard now for those extra 9 seconds :D
    I do agree with TRR that if would be good to get a marathon under the belt at a decent clip for the experience (and adaptation), but if you're going to do a full cycle of training then it should be for an aggressive target, so the motivation's in the right place. I did something similar, in Kildare, after Boston went pear-shaped, and ran a comfortable 2:46, that exorcised my marathon demons. May see you in the K-Club (where you can take minutes off of me, instead of seconds!).

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Brilliant going Luke. That 3 mile HMP run you did last Saturday morning turned out to be perfect preparation! Oh, and Happy Birthday:)

Cleanman wrote: »
    Brilliant going Luke. That 3 mile HMP run you did last Saturday morning turned out to be perfect preparation! Oh, and Happy Birthday:)

Ha yeah if only they felt like HMP last week haha. Big thanks to Rashid Ramzi for sending me a pick me up during the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fantastically awesome!!! And so well deserved!! But I have to say, I agree 100% with TRR. Wise man, he is. ;)

• Advertisement

Monday 5 miles recovery (9.01 min pace)

Woke up today going "hey my legs don't feel as beat up as I thought after race yesterday" - Boy was a wrong, no usual DOMS but heavy as hell and this was a slog. Thankfully it was only run of the day and got it out of the way early so I could chill for the day before lectures tonight as I started a new course. Thankfully this time it is not as disruptive in terms of the time table (night classes so I am not losing days off from work)

Advertisement