Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (7.28 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 8 miles easy (7.24 min pace)

Still a good bit of heaviness today in the legs yet for some reason the legs wanted to go faster, kept them on a short leash though and kept both of these runs nice and handy. Had planned to do a session tomorrow however I may end up pushing it a day, will make a call in the morning based on how the legs are feeling, not a heavy one but at the same time I don't wanna rush back before legs are fully back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

How many sub 3 marathons are you running this spring? :)

blockic wrote: »
    How many sub 3 marathons are you running this spring? :)

Has this info been published somewhere without my knowing? :confused:

If May doesn't count as spring then only one ;)

Edit: Just seen its on FB :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ecoli wrote: »
    Has this info been published somewhere without my knowing? :confused:

If May doesn't count as spring then only one ;)

Edit: Just seen its been on FB since the day after Raheny :o

Heading down west...will be far from a walk in the park on that course from what I hear! Good leg strengthening right there! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Heading down west...will be far from a walk in the park on that course from what I hear! Good leg strengthening right there! ;)

My thoughts exactly. Initially it was part of the Rotterdam plan as a good steady effort but all the same will be a good one and with no quirky to hold my hand this time I won't be taking a break at mile 24 this time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man Luke, fine running. I must race that half one day

Abhainn wrote: »
    Good man Luke, fine running. I must race that half one day

Definitely a good one, fast but honest course with long stretches so you always have a good idea of where people are in relation to you. Definitely one I would recommend (I even got lucky enough with regards the traffic complaints a few had :D)

Wednesday AM 2.5 miles easy, 20x400 w/100m jog (45 sec) rec, 2.5 miles easy

Splits
    82, 81, 82, 80
    81, 82, 80, 83
    83, 82, 82, 83
    83, 82, 83, 82
    82, 83, 82, 80

Back to business today. This is probably the slowest splits I have ever ran on this session and yet still happy with it. After the first few it was apparent the legs were still heavy from the weekend so I thought to myself the first time I see a 84 on the watch I will pull the plug however it never came. Despite the splits being slow the effort was there so happy to get this one done. Also its the fastest bit of running I have done since the week before Raheny so that was going to have an impact to.

Wednesday PM 70 min gym

Decent session tonight though I dropped the weight on a few of the exercises and worked on range of motion and biomechanics more so that strength development given the legs were on the tired side I thought would be pointless aiming to stress the CNS

Training and treatments for the day done so evening to myself. So rare it happens I am not quite sure what to do :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wednesday PM 70 min gym

Decent session tonight though I dropped the weight on a few of the exercises and worked on range of motion and biomechanics more so that strength development given the legs were on the tired side I thought would be pointless aiming to stress the CNS

Training and treatments for the day done so evening to myself. So rare it happens I am not quite sure what to do :P

Go for a run:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »

getalife.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Gavlor wrote: »
    getalife.com

bogoff.co.uk

Ososlo wrote: »

Managed to resist, Nando's was a calling:D

Thursday AM 4 miles very easy (8.03 min pace)
    Thursday PM flexibility and foam rolling

Body let me know in no uncertain terms yesterday was too soon for a session as major case of DOMS so rather than force it the evening was spent with a little TLC after the handy run in the morning.

Friday AM 5 miles easy (7.13 min pace)

Planned on getting up early before start of World indoors to get this one out of the way but head was in the books longer than originally planned last night and woke up moments before the kick off. At first I was nearly resigning myself to missing the morning run however had a brain storm that I could pause it during a lull period, get my run in, come back watch the races skip through the down time in between races and make work on time without missing anything. Chalk one up to time management:D

With Rotterdam firmly put to rest it was time to change the log name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Really like the new training log name. Best of luck with all your training and targets. You have the ability and potential so just have the confidence and inner belief to smash out the great times you are definitely capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

What are your long term goals Ecoli?

Really like the new training log name. Best of luck with all your training and targets. You have the ability and potential so just have the confidence and inner belief to smash out the great times you are definitely capable of.

This is going to be the key word over the next few months. Anyone following my log the last while will know the two most frequent words were probably "consistency" and "complacency" so they will be glad to know that this is what is going to replace them :D
    What are your long term goals Ecoli?

How long are we talking? :D

The plan for this year is Dublin. I will make my marathon debut without a doubt but before I do I want to gain a bit of confidence by bagging a few pb's over the shorter stuff before going into marathon training. The aim will therefore to be make real gains at 3k-5k over the summer while still keeping the mileage relatively high

Working back from this the plan will look like this over the next few months

Next 8 weeks - Transitioning back to 10k style work (slowly introducing sessions quicker than HMP stuff I had been doing the last whie). The aim is 2 sessions a week and a long run - 5k paced shorter reps/hills, Cruise Intervals/Long Tempos.

From here I will go into a 12 week cycle of 1500/5k training consisting of 2 week cycles of 5 sessions and one long run (i.e 3 sessions one week, 2 sessions and Long run the following). After this a week or two easy running before a 10 week Marathon cycle in build to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

OT: how does one change one's log/thread name ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    OT: how does one change one's log/thread name ?

Contact a mod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

And how about long long term goals?

What is the main thing you would like to aim for in your running "career?"

And how about long long term goals?

What is the main thing you would like to aim for in your running "career?"

My running career has spanned 17 years so far so this has been an ever moving goalpost.

To put it simply the main thing is enjoying my running. There is no time that I could run that I would think "that's me done with running". No matter what level I get to I will always think to myself there is some aspect I can work on to continue improvement

In terms of ideal times I would like to run however I think I posted something along the lines of this previous

800m: Sub 2
    1500m: Sub 4
    3000m: Sub 8.40
    5000m : Sub 15
    10000m: Sub 32
    3000m S/C: Sub 9.45
    HM: Sub 70
    Marathon: Sub 2.28

Once I get to the stage where old age robs me of any chance of PBs then it will be time to become a running tourist with a number of races that I would like to do for the experience:

Comrades
    24 hour Championship
    Great Wall of China Marathon
    Niagra Falls Marathon
    Marathon de Medoc :D
    Marathon des Sables
    Empire States Run
    Athens Marathon

(Just a few off the top of my head)

The day I stop running I will probably be laying horizontal :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

With Rotterdam firmly put to rest it was time to change the log name.

"If I'm not out there training, TRR is."

TRR wrote: »
    "If I'm not out there training, TRR is."

As much as I hate to admit (and I do hate to give you any reason for a bigger ego :D) I think its going to take me hitting a whole new level to get within an a$$es roar of you in marathon for the next while. Even had I gone through marathon training with no interruptions and everything gone to plan I still wouldn't have got near you on April 13th.

Definitely motivation to train hard and try and bridge that gap between now and Dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Either one of you is typing on your phone, or neither of you is out training right now :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Either one of you is typing on your phone, or neither of you is out training right now :)

Probably should rename it "If I'm not out there training, you can be damn sure Sisters Pearse aren't either." :D

Friday PM 8 miles easy (7.30 min pace)

Late one for this, legs still not right so took this one very handy and help flush the legs out. Decided to go up around the Brothers Pearse stomping ground for this one. Rather than the usual quiet streets I had to endure with closing time at the kiddy disco around the corner so had to make my way around crowds of drunk teens :mad:

Saturday AM 5 miles easy (7.26 min pace) + Gym work

Bagged session today as a precation as I am still not happy with how the legs are feeling (probably a bit amibitious doing session wednesday. Just a handy run followed by gym work. Decided to drop the leg exercises to give them a chance to fully recovery

Sunday OFF

Working late Sat/early Sunday meant was on about 4 hours sleep. Came home for a quick nap, 3 hours later I woke up just in time to get a shower and ready for a treatment.

Monday 6 miles easy (7.32 min mile pace)

Legs thankful of the break over the weekend a lesson to myself not to rush back after a race into training.

Tuesday 8 miles easy (7.11 min pace)

Feeling very good on this one but made sure to curb it given it was a late night run and I had an early session the next morning

Wednesday AM 2.5 miles easy, 8x1 min hills (2.15 av. jog rec), 2.5 miles easy

Into Phoenix park for this one with quirky. Kybher was perfect for the reps as its not that steep which is exactly what I wanted as the aim of these hills was not leg strength and form but rather to slowly transition back to quicker sessions. Dunno how accurate the markings are but we were coming just past the 300 mark for each rep so they were a healthy pace but nothing killer. All in all a decent session and ticked all the boxes so happy out

Wednesday Afternoon 90 min gym work

Solid gym work. Over the last while technique suffered a little for the sake of weight (I think my ego took over) so today I pulled back the weight a bit on a few of the exercises and focused on technique. Effort was there mind you so shows that I had been cheating somewhat the last one or two gym sessions but was good to get back to technique. Bit of plyo to and happy to PB in terms of vertical jump for reps upping it my two inches from what I normally do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck with the goals ecoli. Youve a decent base to build on. A fast marathon has to be on the cards

However, on other matters......
    Probably should rename it "If I'm not out there training, you can be damn sure Sisters Pearse aren't either." :D

ye just cant drop it can you? Constant provocation :)We dont fight crime, but the brothers are training a lot. Together. Like, as one of those 'club' things do.

If you keep this up i'll ask you to change my log title to 'older sister: 13 years older and 11 minutes faster than ecoli over 26.2' ;)

ye just cant drop it can you? Constant provocation :)We dont fight crime, but the brothers are training a lot. Together. Like, as one of those 'club' things do.

If you keep this up i'll ask you to change my log title to 'older sister: 13 years older and 11 minutes faster than ecoli over 26.2' ;)

Drogheda District also run together a lot, look how well that is received :D

Training this morning with a club member so that I am free to coach in the club tonight, not clublike enough for you? ;)

Ha you already have your hands full trying to challenge another Tallaght athlete come DCM, don't bite off more than your can chew :p

Thursday 9 miles easy (7.10 min mile pace)

Dunno whether it was the hills or the correction of form in the gym session but major case of DOMS. My glutes were as tight as a prisoners first time entering the shower room. Kept this nice and handy and a bit of stretching to loosen out the legs when I got home (sorry to disappoint people but this was an AIS free zone, fairly bog standard stretching with just the bit of PIR for all you alphabet fanatics out there ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Nice imagery!

What's AIS and PIR?

Advertisement