Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

do I need to say anything here?:D

Oh don't worry the two girls would have been doing well to score on the team anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Friday 5 miles easy (7.38 mile pace)

Just a handy one to get back into the swing after the food poisoning. Dehydration still an issue. Few niggles in the first mile or two but loosened out when I got going

Saturday 8 miles easy (no watch)
    Sunday 8 miles easy (7.41 mile pace)

2 day workshop this weekend so had a group of sports therapists to run with so needless to say each one of us got multiple running form tips as every little detail was noted by atleast someone on the course of the run (guess we never truly shut off :D). Was ideal way to easy myself back into the normal training routine after illness

Monday AM 2.5 miles easy, 12x600 w/1 min rec, 2.5 miles

2.04, 2.01, 2.02, 2.00, 2.01, 1.58,
    1.59, 1.58, 2.01, 1.58, 1.58, 1.59

Solid session in windy conditions. Legs felt fresh and good going into this session so the first few were handy enough and target time was 2 min so happy enough. Last few I was beginning to work as the short recoveries were starting to take their toll but I was never straining so job done

Monday PM 90 min Gym Session

Followed this up with a rub from student therapists. Initially I thought would be okay but being a lecture setting and an introduction to massage techniques for a number of the class the legs were overworked from massage and generally heavy as hell as a result (and a touch of folliculitis as a result).

Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (7.29 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 7 miles easy (7.30 min pace)

Handy runs with the second one having a bit of company. An old training partner who I was convinced had packed in running had been flying under the radar building back a base over the last few months so was great to see him back and in decent shape. Legs still heavy from day before

Wednesday AM 1.5 miles easy, 4 miles tempo, 5x100m strides, 1.5 miles easy

4 miles in 24.16 (6.04 mile pace)

Met up with quirky and tRR for this one with the plan being 8 miles @ tempo. Warm up done and we were off. First mile was handy enough though that was the last I saw of the lads. Legs never really got going and after four miles the stomach had given out. Guess not fully over the effects of last week just yet.

Did a few strides for turnover while the laps powered on (even had I been 100% I would have struggled to stay with either of the lads as they were flying).

Will draw a line under it and not dwell on one bad session

Wednesday PM 6 miles easy (7 min pace)

Handy one after work. Legs felt good despite this mornings sub par session.

Thursday AM 75 min GYM

Best Gym session in a while very happy with how it went. Not a huge amount of functional movement work in the second half of the session due to a few reason (some genius decided to tie a 20 kg weight to the resistance belt so tight basically couldn't take it off without cutting the strap :mad:)

Thursday Lunch 5 miles easy (7.25 min pace)

First runmute in a while but stuck for time so I made the best of it. Having the bag stuck on my back was not as bad as I was expecting

Thursday PM 7.5 miles easy (7.09 min mile pace)

Run home after work. Not the worst run but hunger kicked in half way as well as post Gym DOMs meant there was a good bit of heaviness in the early stages but actually loosened out as the run went on

Friday AM 4 miles recovery (9.13 imin pace)

Very handy. Hamstrings and glutes shredded from yesterday's gym session this was badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

This log is turning into a normal running log.

Where have all the crazy late night savage sessions gone :)

TbL

This log is turning into a normal running log.

Where have all the crazy late night savage sessions gone :)

TbL

Stopped logging them late night and just filling them in the day after :D. Funny you should mention it though as I have a session tomorrow that will most likely have to be done late night depending on how the lighting is around the hill I plan on using

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ecoli wrote: »
    Stopped logging them late night and just filling them in the day after :D. Funny you should mention it though as I have a session tomorrow that will most likely have to be done late night depending on how the lighting is around the hill I plan on using

City feckin Slicker, do ya not have a head torch!

TbL

City feckin Slicker, do ya not have a head torch!

TbL

Simple country folk. Midnight in a park in Tallaght and he thinks its my footing I am worried about :D We all don't have 00 mortal combat training to fall back on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Simple country folk. Midnight in a park in Tallaght and he thinks its my footing I am worried about :D We all don't have 00 mortal combat training to fall back on :p

Your hoping for darkness so the ninjas can't see you, right?

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Your hoping for darkness so the ninjas can't see you, right?

Yeah I have learned once to often that darkness is my friend especially when you are a moving target while running as I have found out previously with tRR (or most likely one of his many enemies finally caught up with him :D)

Saturday 2 mile easy, 5x1 mile w/1 min rec, 3 min, 5x200 w/200 jog rec, 2 mile easy

Splits:
    Miles: 5.43, 5,41, 5,38, 5.35, 5.28
    200s: 33, 34, 34, 34, 35

Sadly darkness won out and the hills were off the card by the time I got out tonight however swapped things around and decided I would hit the track and push the hill session back into next week instead.
    Still a bit of tightness in the glutes and hamstrings despite taking last night off (realised I was chasing miles for the sake of it so backed off and allowed body recovery properly). Once I got going though these felt very good. I was nice and controlled throughout the session and aimed to work down to 5 mile pace as the session went on. The last one I was working hard and probably a bit on the quick side but still nice and controlled.
    The 200s were just for turnover and the aim was to keep them nice and relaxed and just get used to mile race pace again (35s). A little on the quick side but felt nice and controlled again so it might just be a case of the gym work paying dividends in form over the past few months

Sunday 17 miles easy (7.21 min mile pace)

Alarm set to make sure I would wake up for breakfast before long run in morning as losing the hour it was gonna be a struggle. Woke with the alarm but turned over and woke again 45 min later, 5 min before I was supposed to meet dublinrunner and drquirky in the park. Grabbed two gels to bring with me and tide me over in case of emergency hunger pangs (in the end needed the two)
    Thankfully wasn't too late by time I got to the park (apologies again lads) and tipped away handy enough. Legs felt surprisingly good considering the short turn around and no major issues.

highest mileage week since January which is a good sign (or poor sign for the last two months depending on how you look at it :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sunday 17 miles easy (7.21 min mile pace)

Alarm set to make sure I would wake up for breakfast before long run in morning as losing the hour it was gonna be a struggle. Woke with the alarm but turned over and woke again 45 min later, 5 min before I was supposed to meet dublinrunner and drquirky in the park. Grabbed two gels to bring with me and tide me over in case of emergency hunger pangs (in the end needed the two)
    Thankfully wasn't too late by time I got to the park (apologies again lads) and tipped away handy enough. Legs felt surprisingly good considering the short turn around and no major issues.

highest mileage week since January which is a good sign (or poor sign for the last two months depending on how you look at it :D)

Im impressed that you can do 17 more or less on empty the day after that session.

Im impressed that you can do 17 more or less on empty the day after that session.

Surprised myself to but I had a protein shake after the session last night to keep me tided over as I knew I would have the short turn around so I think that helped.

Monday AM 10 miles easy (7.18 min pace)

Handy one today. Legs felt good but kept it nice and handy. Had only planned on doing 6 but as I was finishing up in the Park bumped into Tom and decided to do a loop with him now and shorten this evenings run which suits perfectly given I have lectures till 10 :D

Monday PM 5 miles east (7.31 min pace)

Legs a little heavy but to be expected. Just a handy one to clear the head after lectures

Stats|Jan|Feb|Mar
    Days Ran| 28/31|20/28|25/31
    Miles ran| 336 (10.84 per day)|161.5 (5.77 per day)|244 (7.87 per day)
    Sessions ran|7|3|5
    Long runs (+16 miles)| 3|0|2
    Ancillary workouts| 7|5|5
    Races Ran|1|1|2
    PB's|0|0|2 (Tralee was technically a PB :p)

An improvement on Feb but still a little off where I should be. All going according to plan April will be a solid month of getting the head down as despite a few races lined up, none of them are target ones

Tuesday AM 90 min Gym session

Probably overdid it a bit on the weights. CNS was working in overdrive by the time I came to plyo stuff (body basically constantly shaking) so decided to bag the depth jumps

Tuesday PM 8 miles easy (7.05 min pace)

Handy run in beautiful weather with one of the lads from the club. Ticked by quicker than expected with company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Handy run in beautiful weather with one of the lads from the club. Ticked by quicker than expected with company.

Myself and the kids were on the way to training, passed you around Tymon park.
    Me - Oh look, there's <ecoli>, he's a Tallaght runner
    the boy - is he a kid or a grown-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

RayCun wrote: »

What was your answer??:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

my daughter replied for me
    "he's from Tallaght - that mean's he's a $%^*"
    :pac:

we have issues with malnutrition in Tallaght, it's not funny ;)

Since when did gazelle become a curse word? :p

To be fair beside Tom I could well pass as a child given the height difference. I would grow back the beard but would be afraid it might be seen as an attempt to look more like a certain Knocklyon runner (i'll be nice this one time :p) who seems to be stalking my training runs the last few days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

TRR wrote: »
    we have issues with malnutrition in Tallaght, it's not funny ;)

Sounds like a bit of a weed alright

To be fair beside Tom I could well pass as a child given the height difference.

ha ha I didn't realise you were with Tom. Ray you should have pointed out to your daughter that Tom ran 18.55 the weekend, and unlike top Bros Pearse runners it wasn't for 5k :D

Sounds like a bit of a weed alright

A weed is competitive, adaptable and persistent. Been called worse (and thats just from tRR :D)

Wednesday AM 3 miles easy, 8x800 w/75 sec rec, 3 miles easy

Splits 2.41, 2.38, 2.41, 2.36, 2.41, 2.38, 2.40, 2.35

Down to the track to see they have decided that Radcliffe just couldn't pull off the majestic stride needed to imitate Coe in the upcoming film and needed a replacement. Sadly a major case of DOMS in the glutes meant no knee drive and as quick as it had started my silver screen career was over :p

On to the session and the aim for me was 2.40s yet for some reason these were all over the place and just couldn't settle into the rhythm. The ironic thing was that despite the splits being all over the place they were consistent in terms of symmetry to the session. Suppose once in a while no harm in this sort of pace fluctuation as you are never gonna have a perfectly paced race. Just don't wanna start making a habit of it :D

Wednesday PM 4 miles very easy (8.13 min pace)

Just a very light one this evening to loosen out the legs after session this morning. It's been a solid last few days but definitely need to give the legs a chance to breathe every once in a while so will keep it handy again in the morning

• Advertisement

Thursday 8 miles easy (7.11 mile pace)

Decided early on today to keep it a single and give the legs a bit of a chance to shake the DOMS from the gym the other day although to be honest the legs were feeling grand after yesterday but I was cautious as I knew I had logged some fairly decent miles over the five days previous.

Out after work and the miles ticked along nicely. Shoes were completely flat though and I think are well and truly dead (if you saw the wear patterns most would have a heart attack with the nice concave worn into the medial side of the shoes :o) will have to pop over to AK at some stage in the next few days and pick up another pair.

Advertisement