Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

In one way there was no pressure on me for this one, as long as I finished I would assure myself a PB given that it was my first foray at the distance. Thank god for that as the last few days haven't been great with training though I was still a little nervous for this one as last weeks performance made me put slightly more expectance on myself for this one.

Bad night sleep last night but didn't let that effect me (especially as sleep is one of the few variants I have been well trained to endure :D The usually pre race pleasantries with Tunguska, Quirky,Marthastew, CL, Digger, Smoore79 and met FerrisB.

Staying through to Irish weather just when we started to think that the day would be absolutely perfect the wind started to pick up slightly (though not too bad, at this stage we are used to it :D)

Short warm up and we were off. Said to myself start off at 5.50 pace and go from there, job done with a 5.47. Settled in with a group here and quirky in tow, then disaster as I looked down to see the chip on my shoe disappear (despite my laces not coming loose and it being tied into the laces :confused:) from here I just said to hell with it and pushed on.

Came across the familiar head of a runner who I had raced last week, it was a great scalp to get last week but two weeks in a row would be icing on the cake. For the next 2 miles I stuck to him like glue and there was a group of 4 of us (with quirky and a few other just metres behind). Coming down the hill and was working off Paul O C well feeling comfortable letting him do the work at this point we turned up the hill and I passed him and started pushing on. At this time I starting having a few secondary thoughts about the chip and team results. I wasn't sure whether it was 3 or 4 to score. If it was 3 then we had a chance of a medal given I was sitting in a top 10 position and Quirky was hot on my heels, and if we did I hoped to god I would still score without the chip as I know Precision Timing take the results from the chip results.

Turned back for the second lap along the straight where I had lost the chip and my eyes were glued to the ground. I got lucky and spotted it so I made an uncharacteristic stop to pick it up, normally I would have left it but I didn't wanna be the reason why the team lost out (plus I needed the time for the Big 10 thread:P)

I could say that the stop ruined my rhythm but the fact was I was struggling a bit after the move and the next mile was a little slow (had given up with Garmin at this stage though as the tree cover was playing havoc on thing so I was just racing. However once the group came back at me I sat in re composed myself. Coming off the main avenue and I was in control at the head of the group with 5-6 there but no one wanting to take it on so the pace was dictated by me and to be honest I was more worried about position than pace at this point. We were so far behind the next person that it was more a case of not being beaten here.

Hit the 5 mile mark in 28.37 which was pretty much bang on though if I was to go by Garmin I was way slower (as said the tree cover had caused major issues) I figured it is not like Raheny to be out by so much so kinda knew it was the Garmin. Came around by Mt. Prospect avenue and we were passed by one of the Athenry Kenyans who was motoring, What ever about being lapped in a track 10k on a 3 mile loop when your in top 10 position it is very rare so a fair few "Holy Sh!ts" where flying about the group (and a couple of "come on lads we tag on to him :D)

Came back into the park and I was in same position as I was on the last lap sitting in behind two runners down around the hill (though the faces had changed) This would remain for the next two miles around the park and coming out of the park I noticed the two lads were breathing very heavy in relation to my (despite hurting I was relatively comfortable). I went to the front and tested the two lads with a few mini surges, they seemed happy to just sit in and let me dictate the pace. At this stage I was formulating the best way to win, half of me thought a big 800m surge to break them and run my own race might be best and they would have to work harder just to catch me where I would have an advantage in a kick but I then would have roughly 2 miles on my own and catching me they might grow in confidence the surge could take the sting out of my kick.

Played it safe and decided just to relax the pace and have confidence in my ability to beat the two lads in a kick (one of the lads was in his 50s) so I lead but decelerated to outside 6 min just to ensure the legs were fresh (little bit of a stitch at this stage). Seemed to be working as the lads didn't have it in them to go by or push on.

Coming back into the park though and nearly got caught napping as a few of the other lads had caught back up and Paul O C was pushing on, responded immediately and followed suit and pushed on however coming around the corner I see another lad taking the corner a little shorter than me (damn me running the race line) and got a few metres on me. I was working through the congestion but I didn't have it in the legs to beat catch him.

Cross the line in 57.29 (Chip time 57.27) for 7th

Afterthoughts

- Time not great but was good to have a proper race rather than a time trial effort every once in a while

- 5th in Leinster (7th overall) and I think we bagged the team so good day in the office in terms of positions. Despite the time not being great I am happy where I finished in relation to others I have been racing the last while and a few of the scalps I took. The one downside was letting myself be beaten in a kick cost me a prize as only top 6 received prizes, didn't realize prizes went that far down until after the race

- Tactically probably not the greatest run race but I took a gamble and it didn't pay off. I think I am in a good place with my running where I am not afraid to take these sort of chances and I think for every time it doesn't pay off there will be 2/3 where it results in me overachieving (as was the case the last 2 races before this)

- 4th PB of the year (okay a cheap one but 1 more to hit the target for the year and it is only April.)

On another note great to see boardsie cleaning up on the podium with MS, CL, DrQ and FerrisB picking up individual Leinster medals.

Fair play folks some great running all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done today. I filled your recent race times into mcmillian and he is predicting you should go sub 3 in limerick. However I have paid up for the PRO version and included some additional details about you and he reckons you're fcuked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done today.
    Are you pacing or racing in Limerick?
    If pacing, when is your next target marathon to race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

yaboya1 wrote: »

Let me do the honours, he's pacing 3hrs in Limerick

Limerick :pac:

• Advertisement

Well done today.

Pacing Limerick though next up is 3k in the gradeds before that

Running shorter distances for the summer and then hitting Dublin.

blockic wrote: »
    Let me do the honours, he's pacing 3hrs in Limerick

Limerick :pac:

Sadly this is true to a point. The fear of ridicule has me on my toes for this one so I have break three one way or another :D

Tuesday AM 5 miles recovery (9.03 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 8 miles easy (8.01 min pace)

Despite the legs pretty relatively fine today the nutrition has been pretty poor since post race (no beer or takeaways mind you just generally not great) and was on a major crash running on a empty stomach for the later run with one of the lads from the club so this was taken nice an handy whether I wanted to or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

ecoli wrote: »
    Pacing Limerick though next up is 3k in the gradeds before that

Running shorter distances for the summer and then hitting Dublin.

Am thinking of doig that 3000m aswell(try and get low 9 or even dream os sub 9), but might opt for the RTE 5 miler. decisions, decisions!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Am thinking of doig that 3000m aswell(try and get low 9 or even dream os sub 9), but might opt for the RTE 5 miler. decisions, decisions!

3k is shaping up as basically a boards race with you, me Timmay, Sacksian and Kiely well worth a pop

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.18 min pace)
    Wednesday PM Gym

Felt sluggish and crap for first mile but after that body got going well and was sorry I had to keep it short.
    Was supposed to do an evening after gym session but had a bit of a scare in the gym. After weights I was half way through my functional movement routine doing depth jumps when I had a bit of a hiccup. I dunno whether it was fatigue or lapse in concentration but after clearing the height when the feet went to land on the platform they missed stepped and rather than landing on my feet I came down on my shins off the edge of the platform.
    Thankfully only few cuts and bruises but no major damage. Took the evening off as a precaution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

sounds nasty. gotta be careful with box/depth jumps!

sounds nasty. gotta be careful with box/depth jumps!

I normally am. Didn't feel tired doing them although in hindsight its only 2 days after race and the form wasn't great throughout. Lesson learned though and managed to get off very lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I normally am. Didn't feel tired doing them although in hindsight its only 2 days after race and the form wasn't great throughout. Lesson learned though and managed to get off very lightly

Yeah I've heard one or two horror stories of leg breaks and other horrible injuries from box jumps gone wrong.

It's something I keep in the back of my mind to help with concentration when I'm doing them!

Thursday 10 miles easy (7.24 min mile pace)

Out with an old training partner for this one who seems to be getting back in shape pretty quickly (will be watching my back come the track season) just a handy one felt pretty sluggish but I think that was just down to the fact that I am on early shifts for the first time in a long while and 7am starts are taking a little bit of getting used to:o

Friday 5 miles easy (7.55 min mile pace)

Just a handy one in the park with house mate and old training partner. Didn't have a watch so just went with it (was told stats by the house mate after we got back though)

Saturday AM

Session 2.5 miles easy, 3000, 2000, 6x400 (4 min between each w/ 1 min between 400s) 2.5 miles easy

Splits
    3k-10.17 (3.25 min/km)
    2k- 6.43 (3.21 min/km)
    400s- 72, 72, 72, 72, 73, 75 (3 min/km)

Alot of positives to take from this session

- Not a morning person for sessions so felt sluggish rather than hurting yet still pretty much hit paces (2k a little slow)

- Managed to hit pace without working too hard despite a strong wind

- 400s a little quicker than planned but didn't feel too bad (till the end)

I had optimistically added another set of 400s to this session and even started the next set with another 72 but knew that I was overeaching so bagged it half way through second rep but it was still nearly 5 miles worth of work at 10k or faster so ill certainly take that. Enough to scare the Sisters Pearse spies who were lurking around the track :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We were just talking about the team for the first league meet in a few weeks, and I mentioned that you'd be on the Tallaght team. Nobody believed me when I said you'd be running the steeplechase, sure those jumps are awfully big
    ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    We were just talking about the team for the first league meet in a few weeks, and I mentioned that you'd be on the Tallaght team. Nobody believed me when I said you'd be running the steeplechase, sure those jumps are awfully big
    ;)

3ft so only slightly higher than half my height :P.You think that's bad, I have been roped in for the 110h in previous years as well, now those are big :P. Ironically if you go by the IAAF tables my 2k/3k steeple times are my strongest PBs :D

Sunday 15 miles easy (7.12 min mile pace)

Just a handy one this morning with tRR. Nothing too hectic but good to get this one out of the way early morning before work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sunday 15 miles easy (7.12 min mile pace)

Just a handy one this morning with tRR. Nothing too hectic but good to get this one out of the way early morning before work

Is that your last LSR before the big one??

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Is that your last LSR before the big one??

Indeed this is my season defining race :D. In terms of pressure there is probably more here than I will have in DCM :D

Monday OFF

For the first time in I dunno how long I physically didn't have time to fit a run in. Left the house at 7am and did not get back in the door till after 11 and by time I had eaten I had wrote off the day

Tuesday approx 40 min easy

In to PP for a run with the running slut himself TbL. This was a handy one with an element of true fartlek throwing in mini surges every now and then though never really creeping further down that steady pace but all was done on feel as my watch was MIA. Great to put a face to the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Indeed this is my season defining race :D. In terms of pressure there is probably more here than I will have in DCM :D

I know it's bad but it would make my weekend if you didn't break 3 hours. I mean that in the nicest way. I really hope you hit all your other yearly targets but it would be fantastic if you fcuked up again :) I actually have a couple of posts already written and saved in a word document :)

First track race of the year and first one I have been fit for in 2 years. This was to act as a baseline for the Season to come with more specific track work starting next week.

Santry was buzzing and great crowds (even bigger than normal in terms of overall entries) with many boardsies in attendance. There was so many in the 3ks that there were 4 races in total with the B/C and the As getting split in two. In my heat had me, BeepBeep67, Maria McCambridge, an old college training partner and one of the sportsworld lads I have done the occasional session with, the rest were new faces to me.

Being drawn on the inside lane I knew I had to get a good start to jostle for a decent position. After 50m a Clonliffe guy took the lead with another joining him shortly after, I tucked in right behind. 200m was in 34 perfectly acceptable given the initial burst to get position. This settled down with a 72 opening lap with me sitting on the heels of the two lads.

The pace was ideal and felt reasonably good. I knew it was sub 9.15 pace as we came through a km in 3.03 which was a little hot but I figured there would be time lost in the second km as normally happens. At this point I was really up the back of the lads almost to the point where it was breaking up my stride. Thankfully someone had read my mind as the sportsworld lad assumed the lead and I followed suit sticking to him knowing he was a marathon runner so front running probably suited the two of us with regards not having the wheels in the latter stages.

Naturally lost a bit of time in the jostling hitting the 1500m mark in 4.41, Which I was still happy I had got to this point still feeling relatively good. Come 2k and I was still stuck to his ar$e in 6.11. At this stage in the race I knew there wasn't too long left and I was in unchartered waters. I was nearly clipping his heels so knew I still had a bit left and who knows could possibly have my first senior race win. We were both starting to hurt a little. My legs were not used to this sort of thing at the moment though his breathing seemed alot more laboured than mine. It was at this point I started to hear alarming shouts from the infield directed not too far behind me "thats it Maria they are not getting away from you" Oh Sh!te McCambridge was hot on my heels I was going to have to hold her off for second.

600 to go and I was thinking of putting in a surge but I was a little mindful about how far it was out. Hit the lap bell and knew that I was going to have to do someone to keep a bit of space between myself and her, I did, the stride lengthened and I started to accelerate. 350 to go and I took the lead. Was working hard now but not as hard as normally at this stage of a 3k (i.e ready to cough up a lung) was despite the acceleration it was not my usual kick, I didn't have that extra gear to sprint but I did manage to up the pace to my original race pace and this was enough to start putting a few metres between me and the chasers.

Crossed the line in 9.19, PB in the bag. Not only that but the win which I would have never expected.

Delighted with the race and some great positives to take from it. I ran well but I know there is more there I just couldn't tap into it as I haven't the quicker sessions but I did manage to PB just off pure strength.

Thats 3/3 in the last 3 weeks so in a good vein of form at the moment and enjoying every minute of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done. Super running.
    TbL must have rubbed some of his race winning experience off on you yesterday :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super time. We'll deserved Luke! Keep it up. Great times to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Short corse I reckon... ;);)

Fantastic running dude. Psyched you got the win as well-

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

That's fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done ecoli - cracking stuff

Advertisement