Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Just plugged your time into Mr McMillian and his predictions look about in line what you're running for other distances although I think that 3k is probably a marginally better race in relative terms compared to your recent 10k PB for example. Having said that, that was nearly 3 weeks ago so you've probably come along fitness wise since then as well so that can't be ignored.

It predicts a 2.39.XX marathon as well, good to know you should have 20+ minutes to play around with on Sunday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    Just plugged your time into Mr McMillian and his predictions look about in line what you're running for other distances although I think that 3k is probably a marginally better race in relative terms compared to your recent 10k PB for example. Having said that, that was nearly 3 weeks ago so you've probably come along fitness wise since then as well so that can't be ignored.

It predicts a 2.39.XX marathon as well, good to know you should have 20+ minutes to play around with on Sunday ;)

Is that the basic one though or does the additional info in the PRO still say I am screwed? :P

Looking at them calculators its funny as my times across the board seem to be coming in line. Maybe its not as bad as I used to think as a gauge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice running Ecoli, well done on the win.

Nice confidence booster ahead of Sunday :)

TbL

ecoli wrote: »
    Is that the basic one though or does the additional info in the PRO still say I am screwed :P

That's the basic one. They removed my PRO priveleges from me, said I was including too many variables and was crashing their server. They haven't moved to high performance cloud computing yet but when they do they will try and implement the will-ecoli-****-it-up-again-bayesian-model (TRR et al 2014).

Looking at them calculators its funny as my times across the board seem to be coming in line. Maybe its not as bad as I used to think as a gauge :)

I always find it to be very good for me. It's a crude tool and predicts in an unrealistic linear manner but it is usually in or around the mark for the vast majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

First track race of the year and first one I have been fit for in 2 years. This was to act as a baseline for the Season to come with more specific track work starting next week.

Crossed the line in 9.19, PB in the bag. Not only that but the win which I would have never expected.

. I ran well but I know there is more there I just couldn't tap into it as I haven't the quicker sessions but I did manage to PB just off pure strength.

With a bit more specific work done for track sessions, who low do you think you can go with the 3k??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Well done. Looks like you're going to have a decent summer - in all distance.

With a bit more specific work done for track sessions, who low do you think you can go with the 3k??

Ideally I would like to be in low 9 min shape by the end of July. Windy enough conditions last night so times were a little on the slower side so I reckon I was probably good for about 9.12-9.15 last night based on my shape. Over the years I have been pretty consistent with my Steeple time being roughly 1 min slower than my 3k time so off that logic I am hoping that means I will be in or around 10 min shape for the steeple. Looking at the last 3 years that has been the benchmark for not being out the back come National Seniors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Attention all Race Directors - McMillan has predicted ecoli is, after all, suitable for a 3 Hour Marathon Pacing Gig ;):D

Please note ; this is the opinion of McMillan and not boards.ie. McMillan calculations can go up as well as down and have been known to spew out the odd strange result - See meno London 2014 - See meno Boston 2014 :D

Stats|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr
    Days Ran| 28/31|20/28|25/31|26/30
    Miles ran| 336 (10.84 per day)|161.5 (5.77 per day)|244 (7.87 per day)|239 (7.97 per day)
    Sessions ran|7|3|5|5
    Long runs (+16 miles)| 3|0|2|1
    Ancillary workouts| 7|5|5|5
    Races Ran|1|1|2|3
    PB's|0|0|2 (Tralee was technically a PB :p)|3

Mileage a little lower than I would have liked but a pretty busy race schedule accounted for a bit of this

• Advertisement

Thursday 4 miles recovery (no watch) + 45 min GYM

Body not feeling too bad after the race the night before but sleep has certainly been a rare commodity the last few days so feeling pretty tired.

Kept the Gym nice and light, included leg work but was about 50-60% weights so was more just injury prevention moreso than proper strength work. Fairly lack lustred to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done - great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Pm me over the weekend for a few tips on achieving the sub 3.

An example of some of the gems on offer : They say to go out @ 2.50 pace just to bank some time.

Or maybe you could pace off one of the other runners targeting sub 3. That might be the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

You're flying at the moment!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pm me over the weekend for a few tips on achieving the sub 3.

An example of some of the gems on offer : They say to go out @ 2.50 pace just to bank some time.

Or maybe you could pace off one of the other runners targeting sub 3. That might be the way to go?

I think that's the best advice. He was up with me earlier and the bastard ate one of the kids easter eggs. Didn't want to tell him how to carbo load so let him at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on the win - other than breaking 3 hours ;), this is shaping up to be your year! (But I'm guessing you'll be breaking that 3 hours this weekend! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on finally getting that sub 3!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done on ginally getting that sub 3!!

Decker told me originally he took a wrong turn and ran two extra miles. I tinknim a right bollox as this greatly amused me. He text back to say he went sub 3. I was eating my lunch and that text turned me off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Great job again pacing. Going by the results it looks like you helped a fair few people out. Pacing 3hr is a seriously hard job, well done.

Heard the limerick Gardai initiated a lost child search last night when you didn't return to your room. Did you score, get abducted or get lost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

You never got back to the comfortable embrace of GOH?

TRR wrote: »
    Heard the limerick Gardai initiated a lost child search last night when you didn't return to your room. Did you score, get abducted or get lost?

What happened in Limerick stays in Limerick ;)

Bwaaahaaahaahaa

You aren't in the official results !!!! Sub 3 still hasn't happened - TRR load up and fire away

drquirky wrote: »
    Bwaaahaaahaahaa

You aren't in the official results !!!! Sub 3 still hasn't happened - TRR load up and fire away

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1566

Check again ;)

Already lost a second in the 3k when checked official results today didnt need to lose a second result :P

Check again ;)

Already lost a second in the 3k when checked official results today didnt need to lose a second result :P

Dislike

drquirky wrote: »
    Bwaaahaaahaahaa

Check again ;)

I won't believe it unless I see photographic evidence. And even then I'll have some questions ;)

Friday OFF

Saturday 8 miles recovery

Handy one with Quirky just to to loosen out the legs to be honest felt fairly crap the whole way around but knew the body would thank me for it Sunday morning. Long week with work and other commitments caught up on me and was a bit of a zombie for the day

Sunday Limerick Marathon 2.59.25 (6.49 min pace)

Have to say I am starting to enjoy these three hour gigs. Great workout and a good atmosphere, might not be as chatty as some of the other pacing groups but none the less its great to be able to run in a group of north of 15 for three hours and see people push on and go for it in the closing miles. In terms of splits aim was to keep things as even efforted as possible and check in every five mile with the target time 34 min. 5 mile splits were ; 34.00, 34.01, 34.06, 34.10, 34.23. Coming around Thomond Park the front of the pack were cruising so I let the folks push on and I started to settle in at the back with some of the folks who were struggling. To be fair the back marker tagged on to me and rallied well and before I knew it the lads stung out the back were being picked up and suddenly they were a pack of five tucked in behind me with renewed spirits.
    Had one minor scare around 23 miles where one of the lads was falling back gasping for water. I turned back to hand him, the bottle I had been carrying but once I got to him and made the sudden directional change to be back on course I got a twinge of cramp. Thankfully this was only a minor scare and I didn't feel it again.
    Fleeting temptations came and went through race with the sheer support I got from Mr Stew around the course that once or twice I came closer to forgetting I wasn't actually racing

Monday OFF

A little worse for wear probably more to do with the post race celebrations I say but took it off as precaution

Tuesday 5 miles easy (7.27 min mile pace)

One to exorcise the demons and break in new shoes. Felt better as the run went on

Wednesday OFF
    Thursday OFF
    Friday OFF
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF
    Monday 6 miles easy (7.28 min pace)

Probably the worst part of an injury........... trailing through here to find how far your log has fallen :p

After the run last week the hip was not in a great place. Rec Fem tendon was at me and piriformis very tender. Though it was not really affecting me yet running this was the niggle I had picked up last August so I decided to take the few days now to clear it up. Truth be told I was probably overcautious but given its the start of track season I felt it better not to jeopardize the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Better safe than sorry man. A few days off after an extended bout of running pretty much every day can only be a good thing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Wednesday OFF
    Thursday OFF
    Friday OFF
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF
    Monday 6 miles easy (7.28 min pace)

Probably the worst part of an injury........... trailing through here to find how far your log has fallen :p

After the run last week the hip was not in a great place.

Maybe doing the Twist and those 'Crystal Swing' moves just after a sub 3 wasn't the best idea. :cool:

Advertisement