Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Aimman wrote: »
    Maybe doing the Twist and those 'Crystal Swing' moves just after a sub 3 wasn't the best idea. :cool:

I blame you and the drink (pretty sure they are one in the same as you are the common denominator in all this between Tralee and Limerick :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    Wednesday OFF
    Thursday OFF
    Friday OFF
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF
    Monday 6 miles easy (7.28 min pace)

Probably the worst part of an injury........... trailing through here to find how far your log has fallen :p

After the run last week the hip was not in a great place. Rec Fem tendon was at me and piriformis very tender. Though it was not really affecting me yet running this was the niggle I had picked up last August so I decided to take the few days now to clear it up. Truth be told I was probably overcautious but given its the start of track season I felt it better not to jeopardize the season.

now I don't want to be the one who said I told you so BBBBBBBBUUUUUUTTTTTT I fooking told you so.

How is this going to effect your track season now?
    Are you still racing tomorrow?
    Will you listen to me in future?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

TRR wrote: »
    now I don't want to be the one who said I told you so BBBBBBBBUUUUUUTTTTTT I fooking told you so.

Will you listen to me in future?;)

He's still probably the only person in history to run a 3000 pb within 4 days of a marathon one! :)

Can't remember you saying it explictly (though I do recall a few mutterings of sub 3 pacing being a biatch on the body but I thought that was just one of your usual old man grumblings :p)
    Back on my feet now so doesn't change too much (though I may try to get a few easy runs in while in NY

Yup back on my feet and no ill effects. Probably not a PB but ill see how it goes when I get running. If nothing else its a solid workout for Steeple on Sunday :p
    Will you listen to me in future?;

Never!!!! :D (though last pacing gig of the year so will be more sensible after this week)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

marathon pacing gig (PB :pac:), beer, run, 6 days off, feel fine, race tomorrow, and then another race (at miles below LT pace, with jumping) on sunday.

I wish I was 14 :D

Is that summary right? I think that qualifies as self-harm if it is. You are in great form recently, it might be worth protecting your gains

(im aware of the possible hypocrisy charge here)

• Advertisement

Are you running the 1500 or 10k tonight?

Are you running the 1500 or 10k tonight?

The 10k. Had considered dropping down but this had been a target race of mine to cap off a busy race period (before I knew the Leagues were this weekend). Given last week sub 34 prob not on the cards but ill see how I feel when I line up
    marathon pacing gig (PB :pac:), beer, run, 6 days off, feel fine, race tomorrow, and then another race (at miles below LT pace, with jumping) on sunday.

Is that summary right? I think that qualifies as self-harm if it is. You are in great form recently, it might be worth protecting your gains

Ha noted and to be fair you are not too far wrong. I have been racing alot of the last while and the niggle was probably a result of that (although I am pretty sure the drink didn't help)

The 10 miler and the Marathon have been used as sessions however moreso than races and once this week is over I have about 5-6 weeks before next block of heavy racing to get the head back down. I also have a week holiday where the most I will be doing is easy runs so I am using that as a natural break to the season.

The niggle was indeed just that and to be honest I think there was a little element of laziness/ mental lethargy that made me take an extra couple of days as precaution last week. When I ran on the Tuesday it didn't aggravate the niggle at all which kinda solidifies that fact.

It is two races in a week but the rest is very easy low mileage running around them

The 10k. Had considered dropping down but this had been a target race of mine to cap off a busy race period (before I knew the Leagues were this weekend). Given last week sub 34 prob not on the cards but ill see how I feel when I line up

Will probably miss that (although if you have a bad one I may catch the end of it ;)). See you later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nothing to do with racing, driniking or pacing marathons, I'd he caught pneumonia after walking the streets of limerick all night with no coat or Jumper ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nothing to do with racing, driniking or pacing marathons, I'd he caught pneumonia after walking the streets of limerick all night with no coat or Jumper ;)

Ha managed to get in out of the cold so avoided any sort of illness don't worry ;)

• Advertisement

Didn't know how this one was gonna go after last week but figured I would know soon enough. When I was signing I overheard that the entry was poor, I was tempted to just opt for the 1500m and take the easy way out but I kept reminding myself that this was the target for the last 6 weeks as a transition into the track season

By the time we lined up I saw that there were 7 in the race, coupled with the fact that I knew 4 of these lads would be 31-32k runners and the other two were unknown I knew this was gonna be a tough race. Got talking to a guy who mentioned he was looking to go under 34 same as me so talked to him about working off each other.

Gun went off and we settled in quickly enough. Opening pace was a little hot at first but not feeling too bad. First lap was 79. Breathing was a little heavy but I was still moving nicely. True to your mans word we started working together ticking off fairly steady. First km was hit in 3.20. I figured this was probably a little unsustainable but I figured I would lose time in the second half. Second km was hit in 6.43.

Me and the other 34 min guy were alternating laps every 800m. For me I knew he was breathing heavy and probably wouldn't last but I didn't wanna lose him until as late as possible as I figured if I had any hope of a fast time I would need to have someone to work off for as long as possible.

Next few splits and I was moving well. 10.10, 13.40, 16.55 for the next three km. Hitting 5km in sub 17 had me delighted as I wasn't expecting it but the other guy was laboured at this stage meaning I was having to take it on more frequent which was not ideal with the wind.

6km and I was still well on pace hitting 20.20. Here is where I started to struggle though. I was hurting and thoughts of a DNF were creeping in (mind trying to play tricks telling me that a good 8k is a perfect session the week of a 3k steeple race :rolleyes:)

I was haemorrhaging time at this stage and the sub 34 was starting to fall out of reach. I was working a bit on my own and even the bits that the other lad was taking on were slowing the pace. The wind was also picking up a little which didn't help. Come 7k and now a PB was not looking likely and I was hurting.

At 8km though something strange happened. The hurt didn't feel as bad as soon as I heard the words "five laps to go" and I dug in to try and hold on to the low 34 to keep the time credible. With a km to go I was at 30.50 so if I could manage a 3.25 at the end it would still be a decent time.

I was strong the last km though but what happened next surprised even me. I was pushing strong from 600 and coming around the last bend I went for it, the early signs of wanting to vomit, the calves screaming due to first time running a 10k in spikes. I gave it everything but to my dismay the finish line clock had stopped after the 4th (I was sitting in fifth) crossed the line stopped the watch to read my time

Will have to wait till the official results come out but I know in my heart they will round that up to 34.10 to equal my PB. All in all though I am pretty happy though given last week and at the start line I would have chopped your hand off for that time. Yes I went for sub 34 and came up short but in all honesty I couldn't have ran the any better so I can hold my head high

(If nothing else its a track PB though given its only second one :D)

Tuesday 5 miles very easy + strides (8.11 min mile pace)

Handy one with the house mate and the old training partner just to get the legs ticking over for the race

Thursday AM 1 hour GYM

Calves still sore enough so I listened to the body and kept those exercised that I knew the DOMS would feel relatively light in comparison to usual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice 10k, well done, what would the target be if fully rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cruel, just 3 hundreths off :mad:
    http://www.dublinathletics.com/

menoscemo wrote: »
    Cruel, just 3 hundreths off :mad:
    http://www.dublinathletics.com/

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (deep down I knew it was but didn't realise it was that close)
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice 10k, well done, what would the target be if fully rested.

Said to myself if I could achieve 33.50 by end of season I would be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

34 10, very solid race. Low 33 or even sub 33 this time next year with continual training!! I see Brian Leahy and Bernard Roe ran 31 47 and 32 20. Id usually be in and around those boys. Can I claim a pb on a race I didnt do(I'll take Bernards time just to be prudent) ?!?!? :D

smmoore79 wrote: »
    34 10, very solid race. Low 33 or even sub 33 this time next year with continual training!! I see Brian Leahy and Bernard Roe ran 31 47 and 32 20. Id usually be in and around those boys. Can I claim a pb on a race I didnt do(I'll take Bernards time just to be prudent) ?!?!? :D

If you did you may as well take a few seconds off for the wind also :D

Thursday PM 1.5 miles recovery (9.20 min pace)

Calves in agony decided that even though it was 1 am I had to hit the grass in the park (normally never really feel a difference running on the roads but the calves felt a good bit better on the grass). Spent 15 min running up and down the perimeter of the park where there was enough light from the near by street lights to make sure that I didn't break my neck.

Probably the hardest run I have done in a long while

The decision to wear spikes in the gradeds during the week was coming back to bit me in the ass big time for this one as the calves had been in ribbons since, not injured just an unprecedented level of DOMS. This led to me taking the two days off in the build up to the race.

I thought I might be alright once I warmed up but calves were screaming at me constantly. Despite this I tried to convince myself "yes they will be sore but its not an injury so just suck it up and run through"

Lined up beside Timmaay who was as enthusiastic as myself at the prospect of this race (although running on a blue track offered a little bit of novelty for me.

Reacted well to the gun and slotted into second right behind a Raheny guy. He had run 10.20 last year and was in my pool so figured I would track him and see how it went. The pace is always pedestrian in the first 200m given there are no barriers and people know what to expect in terms of pain later on in the race so are happy to save energy where possible. Timmaay then took it on with me on his heels on the rail.

I was well positioned for a normal race but steeple isn't a normal race and tracking Timmaay wasn't ideal as he blocked a line of sight to the first barrier so I muscled my way through on the inside. Up and over technique was decent (given that I hadn't jumped a barrier for practice in 12 months :o)

I was working ok having slotted back in behind Timmay and the Raheny lad and was going ok until about 1k (water jump was leaving a bit to be desired but I was still making ground on the people around me) Here is where things started to unravel though. I was cooked, form went out the window and barrier technique was leaving alot to be desired. Also nearly broke my neck twice as the inner rail is about 6 inches in from the track edge and yours truly stumbled over it twice and another time put my foot right on it and foot slid from under me.

After 2k and I was feeling like death. This time last year I was horribly unfit doing this race, and here I am 12 months later, in the shape of my life and I was feeling worse. Truly was a humbling race to bring me back down to earth after the last few weeks. Hit the bell in 9.10, miraculously I was still close to PB pace. If I could manage an 80 second last lap it would still be a half decent race all things considered.

I dug in for dear life as I was passed again moving me back into 6th (though 3rd in Premier) and I was barely making it over the hurdles (water jump had me nearly going waist deep at this stage.

Crossed the line but was so tired I didn stop the watch properly (one of the club mates clocked me at 10.38. What made matters worse was the fact that I felt I was in 10.20 shape and the winner ran 10.19

Good points
    - 10.38 is best season opener in steeple by 20 seconds (time set last year, and that is with the legs being in ribbons
    - 3rd in Premier which was decent scoring for the club

Bad points
    - 20 seconds slower than I felt I should have been
    - Technique was god awful
    -Top 2 was there for the taking

I think this race showed that it was probably one race to many over the last while and I was trying to ride the good form a little too long.

Plan now to let the body recharge a bit over the next two weeks and get the head back down in training and forget about racing for a few weeks. It was a hell of a run (no pun intended) but the string of good races had to come to an end eventually.

Its are low points which make us stronger both as runners and as human beings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Well done on a steeplechase in Waterford ecoli.

I first knew you as a steeplechaser. I remember you going past me to nab 3rd in the West Leinsters in the 2k steeple. I remember feeling utterly drained and feeling half disappointed I got caught and didn't get a medal but also happy I didn't have to do another steeple at the Leinster Schools! Think we were just outside 7 minutes or thereabouts would that be about right. Haven't gone back to the event since.

Keep it going, you're in great nick

• Advertisement

Lock wrote: »
    Well done on a steeplechase in Waterford ecoli.

I first knew you as a steeplechaser. I remember you going past me to nab 3rd in the West Leinsters in the 2k steeple. I remember feeling utterly drained and feeling half disappointed I got caught and didn't get a medal but also happy I didn't have to do another steeple at the Leinster Schools! Think we were just outside 7 minutes or thereabouts would that be about right. Haven't gone back to the event since.

Keep it going, you're in great nick

Wow talk about a blast from the past. Yeah I think that was probably Intermediate or first year senior alright.

I don't blame you its an event that no matter how good shape you are in it's always a sufferfest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A steeplechase no less... If Career Move hears about it I'm sure she'll want to get up on you :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    A steeplechase no less... If Career Move hears about it I'm sure she'll want to get up on you :D;)

It wouldn't be a digger comment without some sort of innuendo (some less subtle than others :P )

Monday OFF

Tuesday OFF

Wednesday OFF

After weekend I made a call to give the body a bit of time to freshen up. Got treatment on the calves that was badly needed (even if I was in agony throughout but I knew it needed to be done)

Legs coming around so now will have to get the head back down shortly enough for another heavy training block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    This is news to me ..... you must have me confused with someone else digger.

Probably the old age dementia creeping in. Won't be long now till you start having problems with incontinence and lack of libido......

Don't worry though I'm sure your doctor will be able to prescribe something :D

Batteries recharged and that little voice that tells you that there is no real difference in how quick you get home if you just tag on a sneaky extra half mile or mile at the end, is back (had been slightly missing during my racing block).

After the steeple the legs needed a bit of a rest coupled with a holiday meant that this was an extended break which last 2 and a half weeks, first time taking such a break that I have not been ridden with guilt. I had worked hard the first half of the year and got decent results from it however now is the time to get the head down and just get back into good old fashioned hard training and take a step back from racing for a while, rather than try and rush back to fitness for the track races.

Thursday 5 miles easy

First run back and I said I would run without the garmin to keep me from worrying about things. The only problem with this was that I did a 5 mile loop where I know by heart where the mile markers all are. Pace surprisingly was around 7.15-7.20 but did feel a little sluggish as I exorcised the demons of overindulgence of NYC food and drink (you can't beat a truffle burger from Umami Burger :D)

Ya's miss me?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ya's miss me?;)

I did. ;):) Welcome back. !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

We thought you were gone to that kenyan training camp with quirky!
    Just interested in your opinion on taking a break like that from running like you just did.
    Do you think everyone would benefit from taking a full week or more completely off running every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Just interested in your opinion on taking a break like that from running like you just did.
    Do you think everyone would benefit from taking a full week or more completely off running every year?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »

I think it depends on where you are coming from running wise. If you have a low aerobic base you will probably take longer to come back to fitness. In my case this is the first year where I actually feel I "earned" the break as I had been training pretty consistently since last November coupled with the fact that in that time I had ran 3 5ks,2 x 3k (1 steeple) 1 6k (XC), 1 5 mile, 2 10ks, 1 HM and paced 3 3(ish) hour Marathons most of which has been in the last 6 weeks I felt that the body did need the break.

Most of the time you do not need to schedule this in however with illness, life, holidays, injury dictate the enforced rest.

However it is not uncommon for people to take such breaks especially after big target races or if mentally or physically struggling

Advertisement