Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »

Ya's miss me?;)

I hate to admit it but I actually did. I've had no one to verbally abuse. Have been taking it out on the neighbours kids and pets. I also need a feckin' (non-sexual*) sports massage. Text me when you're free

*needs to be highlighted, I still haven't got over the shock that time you basically had my feet in a stirrups position, still don't know what you were trying to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    I hate to admit it but I actually did. I've had no one to verbally abuse. Have been taking it out on the neighbours kids and pets. I also need a feckin' (non-sexual*) sports massage. Text me when you're free

*needs to be highlighted, I still haven't got over the shock that time you basically had my feet in a stirrups position, still don't know what you were trying to do

Nothing like abuse practically straight off the plane.

For clarification before I have a lawsuit on my hands its a muscle test for piriformis tightness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nothing like abuse practically straight off the plane.

For clarification before I have a lawsuit on my hands its a muscle test for piriformis tightness

So what did the results show?? Is TRR a tight @ss?? ;)

Friday 4 miles easy

No watch and just trying to get the legs back into routine before normal training resumes next week. Still trying to catch up on sleep given I was straight back to work as a result of delays and missed connecting flights

Saturday 5 miles progressive (7.06 min pace)

Legs are starting to remember what running feels like so I let them loose so to speak on this one. A bit of DOMS that I usually get the first week is still there and breathing felt a bit laboured but by the end I was starting to feel a bit like my old self which I was happy with given the watch was reading 6.4x-6.5x s come the last two mile I know its not indicative of my true comfortable pace given I am under 20mpw this week and legs are as fresh as a daisy but I am in a good starting place compared to the horrid shape I was in starting my last full training block late last year.

• Advertisement

Sunday OFF

Took it off to start a new Monday with the beginning of Marathon Training

Monday 9 mile easy (7.21 min mile pace)

I don't wanna alarm anyone but....

140 days (20 weeks) till DCM

Felt good on this one seem to be back to my old self more so than ever with this one as felt very comfortable (little bit spritelier than 7.20 pace should feel but still quite controlled) DOMS was still there though and is just something I will have to suck up for a few days until I get fully back in the swing of things. Back to what I know best, late night running, clocking the miles in the legs, having minimal company save for my army of friendly foxes who make appearances sporadically through my runs. Weirdly enough I am more excited now than I was during my recent racing block for some reason (putting it down to mental freshness, I will probably be singing a different tune in a few weeks :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

20 WEEKS??!

Thanks for that :) When does the marathon specific training really begin? Not going to lie, not looking forward to the 20 mile runs at the moment. That'll come though! Hopefully proper training begins on the 23rd.

20 WEEKS??!

Thanks for that :) When does the marathon specific training really begin? Not going to lie, not looking forward to the 20 mile runs at the moment. That'll come though! Hopefully proper training begins on the 23rd.

For me its 10 weeks general phase and 10 weeks specific (including taper) however my general phase is relatively high mileage anyway so its more the sessions that will change (Long runs kicking in pretty much straight away)

More than welcome to join on any sessions or runs that fit in with your plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

For me its 10 weeks general phase and 10 weeks specific (including taper) however my general phase is relatively high mileage anyway so its more the sessions that will change (Long runs kicking in pretty much straight away)

Are you going to be using a variation on Hadley? I've been following Alana's progress for the last few years and she seems like she's in good condition for Grandma's.

Stazza wrote: »
    Are you going to be using a variation on Hadley? I've been following Alana's progress for the last few years and she seems like she's in good condition for Grandma's.

Yep that's the plan. Went through a fundamental cycle of it previously and I found what things worked for me and what tweaks I need to tailor it to my own needs which I am hoping will be the right recipe. I have paced 3 marathons since October but it is still uncharted territory for me so will have to see how it goes.

She definitely is in good form and will be following that race with particular interest (I have followed a few of his previous athletes with interest and it seems as though the women seem to perform better however I do feel that his philosophies for the most part are a solid foundation)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 5 miles v.easy (7.58 min pace)

First hiccup of the cycle already. Had session planned for this even and things were going to plan got out of work on time for once home a quick change and was out the door. A nice 2.5 mile warm up to the track only to get there and find that the locks had been changed while I was on holiday's so my key didn't work. Knocked it on the head and hit easy pace on the way home.

Ah well tomorrow is another day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Cool, that'd be great. Not many from the club doing a autumn marathon so looking for people to help drag me around!

Going to try finally nail some decent tempos this time around. I'd be good to get some of us together and do some of the longer stuff in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A nice 2.5 mile warm up to the track only to get there and find that the locks had been changed while I was on holiday's so my key didn't work.

Wow, that's cold. Maybe you didn't have the greatest race in the steeplechase, but surely you deserve a second chance? :(

Previous week - 55 miles 0 sessions

Probably a blessing in disguise that I didn't get sessions in to let the body get back into just running. Previous easy efforts were a little more laboured but that will come back in time

Last week-

Monday AM 7.5 miles easy (7.26 min pace)
    Monday PM 5 miles easy (7.31 min pace)

Tuesday 10 miles easy (7.22 min pace)

Wednesday AM 7.5 miles (farlek between steady and very easy)
    Wednesday PM 4 miles easy (7.25 min pace)

Thursday 6 miles easy (7.27 min pace)

Friday 7 miles easy (7.20 min pace)

Saturday 5 miles very easy + strides (7.39 min pace)

Sunday Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A nice 2.5 mile warm up to the track only to get there and find that the locks had been changed while I was on holiday's so my key didn't work. :

You should have just grabbed a randomer walking by and they'd have gotten you through the lock in 5 seconds ;)

Given that I had 2 weeks off and two weeks of just easy running since the last round I was not expecting much from this one, it was simply about getting points. Days like Sunday are hardest for steeple because the water pit looks so enticing that there is a small voice inside you that thinks to hell with the race I am going for a dip.

Gun went and I slotted in at a conservative pace. Mid pack. It was soon apparent that the other lads in premier meant business as they tore off (leader opened in a 2.51 first k I found out talking to him later) by the time I came around the 400m mark I was kinda alarmed at how quickly I had already cleared 3 barriers (the fact that they felt like they came one on top of another was an early indication that I probably shouldn't be racing at this stage of training but I was here now)

Sat in the back of a group with Timmaay, a few others, and most importantly the lad who was in 4th in premier. This race was a huge contrast to the last round. I felt comfortable over the hurdles and technique was decent and I was making ground on the lads around me with every jump (and even more on the water pit as the two foot splashes echoed all around me (and a few expletives from certain boardsies ;) )

Timmaay and the 2 others from the 1st division pushed on and I let them go, I was aiming to just solidify 4th spot and get the points while expending as little energy as possible. Pace was I wasn't hurting that much so I didn't think I was going that fast but I had no idea as I wasn't wearing a watch (for fear of the psychological effect given shape not being where it should be)

Last 400 and the North Down lad (I think as was blue and yellow singlet and I think they were in our group) was still with me but I felt in control. Coming to the last water jump pit I started winding it up came off the jump well and started cranking it up and was clear coming over the last barrier, at this stage Timmaay was in catching distance and I was eating up the distance between us but he wasn't in our division and I shut down the last 10m as I had the points sown up and needed all the extra energy I could muster later on

Got the finishing time

This was only 5 seconds slower than the last round and given training and how comfortable I felt it was definitely a good result and a nice confidence booster.

....The reason I was in energy conservation in the closing stages of the Steeple was because it was not my only race of the day. Due to injuries, family commitments, exams, and every other reason under the sun the list of runners from the club had been exhausted to the point where we didn't have anyone to run the 5k. Normally I have offered to double when stuck though it usually gets a firm no for being too much, this round however we were struggling for points so I got a "See how you feel" response which meant that as long as I was willing I was in.

The turn around between the races was just under an hour so I just kept walking/ jogging and getting fluids on board between the races to keep the legs ticking over.

It was just about getting around so when the gun went off I settled in and let majority go. I knew that if I went with them it would not be pretty, there was however one incident which triggered the aul competitive spirit, a Brothers Pearse singlet :D. Though they were not in our division it was enough to get me going. Race split into a series of mini races with a group of about 5 of us running together (albeit a good bit back from the next). Bro's Pearse took the lead and I sat on his shoulder with Menapians lad on me (in my division so direct competition)

2 laps in and Bro Pearse had slipped off and I was in the lead of the group, not where I wanted to be because after the Steeple I knew I didn't have it in me for a really hard race. Noticed that in the lead everyone was afraid to take it on so I knew I could control things tactically and I probably was a little sly about it. The Menapians lad tried to take me on a few times but just matched his pace and when we came to the bends I tended to veer to the mid or outside of lane one to push him out and make him run a little bit longer line in trying to pass me.

The race itself flew in and hit the 2 mile point in about 11.16 so I knew it was slow but I was not worried about pace. At this point I knew the Sli Chuilann guy was tracking me, I had been talking to him previous to the race and he had seen me in the Steeple so I guess he figured that he would have the legs to take me but I was feeling relatively good and the pace was comfortable.

Started winding it slowly with about 600m to go with Sli Chuilann still on my shoulder (I was later told giving team mates the thumbs up to signal he had it in the bag). 300m to go and I upped it another gear and was moving nicely. At 200m to go I expected him to try and pass me and so upped it another gear, still not all out but was moving well, there was another gear needed just in case he came at me, 100m to go and I went for it, for a second all out but I was losing form so immediately corrected it and kept loose and finished strong.

No time as of yet but I would imagine that it was about 17.20, nothing special but I got a few points and acted as a good tempo after the Steeple so a more Rupp inspired type post race session :D.

Very happy with how the day went all things considered it kinda gave me a good confidence boost for training

Monday 8 miles easy (7.10 pace)

Legs woke up after race and was tired so I held off for a late night run and thankful that I did because they had freshened up a good bit. The races seemed to have kick started the legs again as the easy pace is coming back down to more normal paces

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (7.42 min pace)

Just a handy leg loosener before work, Running on empty was a bit harder than it should have been

Tuesday PM 5 miles steady, 4 mile tempo, 3 miles steady

Splits: (6.48 min pace) 6.04, 6.14, 5.43, 5.41 (6.42 min pace)

Had a tempo planned and it coincided with our club summer league who were holding a four mile race up in the bornabreena waterworks so I thought it would be a good hilly tempo effort. Started out with a five mile loop that ended up at a progressive pace working down to tempo effort, quick change into club singlet and got going Was an out and back loop with some nasty hills in the first half. Effort was controlled and after about 3/4 of a mile it was a two horse race with me and another lad, I was just focused on effort and the other guy made a bit of ground on me on the second big hill which I never got back, legs were a little heavy so racing was thankfully taking out of my hands and just kept it a solid effort, started to reel him in a little after 3 miles but I had let him get wayy too much of a gap to reel in.

Crossed the line and a sup of water and headed off to get a few more miles in. This was important as I wanted to try and maintain a steady pace despite having tired legs and managed to hit it.

Good 1st session to kick off the marathon cycle

Wednesday AM 45 min Gym work
    Wednesday PM 5 miles easy (7.35 min pace)

First time back in the gym in about 6 weeks or so, a short routine with no plyo's just weights to get me back in the swing of things

The run was supposed to be more in the evening but for some reason I bonked, was either poor hydration or effects of the effort put into the gym work but was hard so cut it short.

Thursday AM 8 miles easy (7.26 min pace)

Met up with Dublinrunner for this one just a handy one around the Clonskeagh area, weather made the effort a little higher than should have been for this one. Also learned a valuable lesson about gym work, your glutes are alot like women, you can't ignore them for a few weeks and expect there to be no consequences :P major case of DOMS in glutes and Hamstrings today

Thursday PM 6 miles easy (7.12 min pace)

Friday 8 miles easy (7.22 min pace)

Saturaday OFF

Sunday 5 miles easy (7.32 min pace)

Monday 8 easy (7.27 min pace)

Tuesday OFF

Wednesday 2 easy, 4 mile tempo (6.11 min pace), 2 easy

Thursday AM 5 miles w/ stuff
    Thursday PM 9 miles easy (6.58 min pace)

Taking me a bit of time to settle into marathon training but despite the consistency not being there the fitness is improving. Need to get the head down fairly soon though. Wednesday was a disaster, pace felt comfortable but I dunno whether it was dehydration or what ever but legs felt like crap and quads cramped up something fierce after pulling the plug on the session, could have just been the day off previous coupled with not easing into the pace given I was pacing a few of the younger 800 guys from the club for their tempo straight into 6.05 min pace.

Met up with TbL Thursday morning for his session and seemed to wake the legs up as actually felt better after than I did before and seemed to have an effect on the evening run as I was ticking away without too much effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

So TBL been categorised as 'with stuff'.
    Sounds appropriate.

So TBL been categorised as 'with stuff'.
    Sounds appropriate.

Describing the session not the man. There has been enough offence dished out for one day around here :D

Friday 5 miles easy (7.18 min pace)

Saturday AM 6 miles easy (7.01 min pace)
    Saturday PM 5 miles easy (7.08 min pace)

Sunday AM Gym Session
    Sunday PM 5 miles easy (7.15 min pace)

Monday AM 6 miles easy (7.10 min pace)
    Monday PM 8 miles easy (7.11 min pace)

Despite finally getting a bit of consistency of training the content has not been spectacular with no sessions or long run, plan to finally get into full flow this week with no more excuses.

you're a joke.

I just realised I don't have to be nice to you anymore seen as you are no longer a mod!

you're a joke.

I just realised I don't have to be nice to you anymore seen as you are no longer a mod!

Because you were so nice previously:p however in this incidence I will agree with you, I am like a boulder at the top of a mountain, the initial effort is a struggle but once I get past the initial push I will gain momentum.

First session back tonight however :D

Because you were so nice previously:p however in this incidence I will agree with you, I am like a boulder at the top of a mountain, the initial effort is a struggle but once I get past the initial push I will gain momentum.

First session back tonight however :D

you doing club race?

you doing club race?

Afraid not, Working late so won't make the club again this week (I think it's the no watches race?)

Afraid not, Working late so won't make the club again this week (I think it's the no watches race?)

pusssssssssssssyyyyyyyyy

Yeah it is the prediction one. You've just reminded me I gave a mental fast prediction. Better go and change that!

pusssssssssssssyyyyyyyyy

Yeah it is the prediction one. You've just reminded me I gave a mental fast prediction. Better go and change that!

Ha sandbagging already, hope you aren't like that come October ;)

• Advertisement

Ha sandbagging already, hope you aren't like that come October ;)

pffft. How did you get on in your 2014 Spring marathon?

Advertisement