Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    pffft. How did you get on in your 2014 Spring marathon?

PB ;) Same with my Autumn and Summer ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    PB ;) Same with my Autumn and Summer ones :D

It's all relative! Just think about it this time next year they might let you lead the novices thread!

It's all relative! Just think about it this time next year they might let you lead the novices thread!

Think I ruled myself out by running 4 in a year :D

Think I ruled myself out by running 4 in a year :D

yeah but you only hit your time in one :D

I think we should set up a second spat thread!

yeah but you only hit your time in one :D

I think we should set up a second spat thread!

Your one to talk about hitting times losing the prediction race tonight:P

• Advertisement

Tuesday 2 miles easy, 4x2 mile @ HMP w/ 2 min rec, 2 miles easy

Splits
    11.49 (5.56, 5.53)
    11.47 (5.53, 5.54)
    11.55 (5.57, 5.58)
    12.04 (5.57, 6.07)

First proper session back and overall happy enough. First mile was a struggle as I felt I was working harder than I probably should have eto get into rough target paces but soon enough the legs settled down and residual DOMS started to subside.

Happy with the consistency right up to the last mile which was into a bit of a wind but to be honest I think this was more a lapse in concentration moreso than physical. Still was good to get it in and a nice start into full marathon training.

Your one to talk about hitting times losing the prediction race tonight:P

I will concede that I did not win the prediction race. However unlike most of you marathon pacing gigs I finished UNDER my predicted time (by 4 seconds) so that's a result in my book! :)

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.47 min pace)

Handy one to freshen up the legs mind you the body didn't feel too bad after the nights session though I am alot tighter and sorer than I should be but I think that is just down to getting the body back used to full training.

Thursday AM 8.5 hilly miles (8.19 min pace) + 45 min Gym work

Met up with dublinrunner and the athlete formally known as drquirky (:P) and headed up around ticknock for this one. Not gonna lie these runs usually break me and this was no different as I was reduced to walking once or twice as the billygoat (quirky) was leaving us for dead.

Back down to gym and decided after the hills to slightly alter my usual gym routine (especially given I was under time constraints) and used this to my advantage as I stripped back the weight and exercises to work on imbalances using single leg exercises such as with squats, calf extensions and leg press. Showed there is a good bit to work to do in this regard but the perfect opportunity to work on these to really crank up the overall weight and push past a bit of a plateau I had reached (240kg on the leg press was doable but had been for quite some time)

All in all a solid morning's work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Wednesday AM
    Met up with dublinrunner and the athlete formally known as drquirky (:P) and headed up around ticknock for this one. Not gonna lie these runs usually break me and this was no different as I was reduced to walking once or twice as the billygoat (quirky) was leaving us for dead.

Haha! I am sorry for suggesting that run now. The two of us walking whilst DrQ was flying up the mountain hill was classic. He's like a different man now :cool:

I think I looked at the watch and saw 10.20p/m pace. Just another 400m, c'mon just another 400m.....yeah right!!

The hill won the battle but i'll be back to win the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (7.47 min pace)

Handy one to freshen up the legs mind you the body didn't feel too bad after the nights session though I am alot tighter and sorer than I should be but I think that is just down to getting the body back used to full training.

Thursday AM 8.5 hilly miles (8.19 min pace) + 45 min Gym work

Back down to gym and decided after the hills to slightly alter my usual gym routine (especially given I was under time constraints) and used this to my advantage as I stripped back the weight and exercises to work on imbalances using single leg exercises such as with squats, calf extensions and leg press. Showed there is a good bit to work to do in this regard but the perfect opportunity to work on these to really crank up the overall weight and push past a bit of a plateau I had reached (240kg on the leg press was doable but had been for quite some time)

All in all a solid morning's work

Would you have a garmin link for that run around ticknock? Thanks.

• Advertisement

paddybarry wrote: »

Unfortunately I have never set up a Garmin account or synced my watch up to the computer, I simply use it as a tool to measure pace/distance and leave it at that.

With regards the route its from Marley park up to the back gate out under the M50 bridge and straight up by Columbus college, ended up taking a few dead ends on it as well by mistake

dublinrunner may have a link or if not I am sure there is one on theboyblunders log somewhere as he did that route a bit previously

Haha! I am sorry for suggesting that run now. The two of us walking whilst DrQ was flying up the mountain hill was classic. He's like a different man now :cool:

I think I looked at the watch and saw 10.20p/m pace. Just another 400m, c'mon just another 400m.....yeah right!!

The hill won the battle but i'll be back to win the war.

I'm soooooooooo happy I didn't do this! :D

paddybarry wrote: »

Hey, hope this works. I will caveat it's release by saying we got quite lost once or twice! I would also like the Garmin link if someone has the proper route/loop.

It'll give you an idea of the route.....hopefully :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/538404134#

The weather indicates rain but it was bloody humid.

Thursday PM 8 miles easy (7.12 min pace)

Despite this being an easy run it was still a workout of sorts as was on tired legs after this morning, strength is coming back slowly but surely and while I felt generally fine the heaviness was definitely there from the off

Friday 5 miles easy (7.33 min pace)

Just a handy one after the heavy day the previous one. Was expecting a bit worse from the legs

Saturday 10 miles easy (7.21 min pace)

Sunday 8 miles easy (7.24 min pace)

Busy weekend in work with the world cup so did what I could struggled for motivation for a session though

Monday 5 miles easy

Handy leg loosener for this one no couldn't find the watch so just based this on my knowledge of the local area (sadly I have got to the point where I no longer need a Garmin around my local running routes to know exactly how long each of my routes are)

Tuesday 10 miles easy

Found the watch, dead, grabbed house mates Garmin, dead. Just went up around Churchtown for a route a little over 10 miles, felt I was tipping along nicely

Wednesday 7 miles fartlek

Despite putting watch on charge the previous night for some reason it didn't pick up the charge so I just took a stop watch and decided to do 3.30 intervals so after warming up and 2 done I was hurting, I had probably overcooked them, jogged for a bit but on the way home I was frustrated with myself so I told myself I was not going to head home until I had covered atleast 7 miles and had got a bit of a workout from it so I did a true Fartlek with reps ranging from 30 secs @ quicker than mile effort to 3 min efforts ranging from 5k effort to HMP, recoveries were equally all over the place though aimed not to let the HR drop too much in between to ensure a good workout. By the end of it I felt I had been working so not quite a completely failed session.

Thursday 5 miles steady (6.42 min pace)

Stuck for time today so had a runmute home from work and equipped with a fully charged garmin I got a glimpse at paces which I hadn't seen in a few days, was shocked with how easy it was feeling, probably a sign that sometimes its no harm to forget the watch and reset the effort levels. Meant to get out again after treatments but made the fatal error of sitting down for 5 min after, woke up the next morning (luckily the alarm was set on the phone) still on the couch

Friday AM 1 hour Gym + 4 miles easy

Good solid gym session followed by a laboured few miles as the legs were pretty tired from the Strength stuff. Good to get it done though and aim to get out again tonight for a few miles after work hopefully full of enthusiasm after what is shaping up to be the track meet of the year tonight in Monaco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You're slacking off over here - no doubles or anything :eek:

th?id=HN.607991567732113541&pid=15.1

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Some good consistency there recently in your training ecoli, do you still plan on doing the marathon in October and if so have you decided on a target time yet?

You're slacking off over here - no doubles or anything :eek:

th?id=HN.607991567732113541&pid=15.1

:D

A timely update so

Friday PM 8 miles easy (7.24 min pace)

a double just to keep the critics happy :p but you are right it has been an underwhelming few weeks to be honest just trying to build back into the routine but there have been a few hiccups along the way
    pa4 wrote: »
    Some good consistency there recently in your training ecoli, do you still plan on doing the marathon in October and if so have you decided on a target time yet?

A bit of consistency but to be honest lacking a bit of quality and quantity that I am hoping will start to click sooner rather than later.

Have times in my head but nothing concrete as of yet until I manage to get a few solid weeks of training under my belt to judge where I am at.

Saturday 2 mile easy, 2x3 mile @ MP w/ 2 min rec, 2 easy

Splits:
    6.12, 6.05, 6.08 (6.08 min ave pace)
    6.08, 6.10, 6.10 (6.09 min ave pace)

Had a great plan of using park run for one of these. Only problem was that life got in the way meaning that it was late late night so not a fear of me making it up so did it this evening.
    Pace felt ok but to be honest I just didn't have it in me to push and start hurting.

Sunday 16 miles (7.26 min pace)

Another bad nights sleep but dragged my a$$ out of bed for an early morning run with quirky as I only had one shot at a run today with Nationals. Sluggish but didn't feel too bad and was glad to get it done, first long run in a while.

Monday 4 miles recovery (8.47 min pace)

Day's like today show me I am not a college student anymore, heavy night out followed by a 7am start in work (thankfully I conked in a friends house conveniently a 5 min walk from work). Had strategically left the car at the family home however so when finished work and a quick power nap and set off. Nothing like a run with a purpose to get you out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Another bad nights sleep but dragged my a$$ out of bed for an early morning run with quirky as I only had one shot at a run today with Nationals.

Who's this quirky fella? I thought he was Billy Mitchell now?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Who's this quirky fella? I thought he was Billy Mitchell now?

The new guy hasn't yet established a reputation for being a cantankerous aul fecker (though he is trying). Till then he will be quirky to me :D

How come you didn't sleep well Saturday night?

How come you didn't sleep well Saturday night?

Midnight mass and saying my novena's :p

Tuesday 5 miles easy (7.10 min pace)

Stilll slightly recoverying from the weekend so just a short single, don't plan on that again anytime soon

Wednesday AM 6 miles easy (7.10 min pace)

Just a handy one running in this weather the pace just feels very easy (pretty much convinced that lack of cloud cover is somehow skewing the Garmin reading's or maybe I am just paranoid)

Wednesday PM
    2.5 miles easy, 8x1k w/ 200 jog (1.45 ave) 2.5 miles easy

Splits: 3.19, 3.20, 3.20, 3.18, 3.21, 3.21, 3.24, 3.18

Happy with this session first time really getting out of my comfort zone in a while, recoveries were little bit on the long side but given the head it was fine. Delighted with the splits also a good bit faster than I was expecting

Thursday AM 4 miles easy (7.40 min mile pace)
    Thursday PM 7 miles easy (7.33 min mile pace)

Dunno if it was the heat or just fatigue from the previous day but I was tired and sleepy throughout the day.

Friday

Donadea 5k

Wanted to use this to push on from session on Wednesday to make it a decent week. Initially I was 50/50 about racing or not but the guilt of wasting such a nice night won me over and headed down with tRR, digger and claralara.

Arrived about a half hour before the race so my usual hour long warm up wasn't happening (probably a blessing in disguise given it was still scorching at that stage), disappeared off into forest for a warm up (and to give a few people a heart attack seeing two Tallaght heads luring a lady off into the forest :p)

Once got going I knew times were out the window, the nice soft woodchippings picture I had in my head when I heard trail run was soon replaced with the harsh reality of compact enough lose stones. Two decisions were made at this point; the garmin and racers were staying in the bag. At this stage I kinda said to myself maybe just aim for a schnakey podium spot based on last years results. This notion was firmly quashed soon enough when I saw 3 sub 15 guys along with a host of other lads who would be at my level (when I am in top shape) or better.

Settled into my racing early and I was trailing on the back of the lead group which got stretched into about 3 fairly quickly. I had a stop watch on the wrist but was just basing it off effort (though probably a bit to fast first km hitting 3.18)

For the next 2k I was on my own, conditions and underfoot were tough enough but I was giving a decent effort and didnt feel to bad. Despite running on my own it was definitely easier than a tempo having someone in the distance to chase. 3.32 for the 2nd km and continued to slow from here (roughly 3.45ish).

Just after 3k I heard the heavy breathing of someone hot on my tail who brushed by me however as we were coming up to a little rolling hill I decided to blaze up it and try and break him, got a few metres on him but he reeled it back and passed me. Hit the 4k mark in about 14.30 thinking to myself "balls I am gonna to have to bust something out here just to break 18" started reeling your man in now and as we came off the final turn I cranked it up crossing the line in 17.54.

Pretty sure this ranks as possibly my slowest ever 5k time but none the less wasn't too disappointed and happy with the effort on the night.

I was very close to running this myself. How did you find the ground conditions? Reckon it cost you much time?

I was very close to running this myself. How did you find the ground conditions? Reckon it cost you much time?

Reckon it cost me roughly 20-30 seconds as I was in the Saucony Fast twitch and got a few incidences where it felt like I was barefoot as the impact went through me (foot feeling a little bruised today). Reckon the dry weather had an impact on this.

Turned out to be a great race with Kenneally, few of the Donore lads and a host of others showing up. Not one for time but a good solid race effort.

Reckon it cost me roughly 20-30 seconds as I was in the Saucony Fast twitch and got a few incidences where it felt like I was barefoot as the impact went through me (foot feeling a little bruised today). Reckon the dry weather had an impact on this.

Turned out to be a great race with Kenneally, few of the Donore lads and a host of others showing up. Not one for time but a good solid race effort.

Most peoples time seem to be down a good bit. I had a quick look yesterday at last years results to see what type of field it attracts. Some difference this year! Is Kenneally fully back now? Interesting to see what he is targeting.

As you said, not one for time.

Saturday OFF

Took this off as the sole of my foot was still feeling bruised so decided to play it safe and not be a hero

Sunday 17 miles easy (7.24 min pace)

Met up with two of the lads from the club for an early one. Started off pretty slow for the first 5-6 miles clipping along outside 8 min pace but as we got into it the pace soon dropped and by the end the lads were pushing on a bit, was happy not to push it and just keep things handy

All in all a half decent week, 2 sessions and a long run but just a little low on the mileage around that but slowly but surely training is improving

• Advertisement

Monday AM 6 miles easy (7.17 min pace)
    Monday Lunch 1 hour Gym
    Monday Evening 6.5 miles easy (7.01 min pace)
    Monday PM 6 miles easy (7.27 min pace)

A bad mood provided the best pre workout supplement here as I ran to clear my head initially but got to a point where I was running as a distraction today so ended up getting out way more than planned today.

Day consisted of easy run, breakfast, gym, chilled (luxury of a day off), run which ended up being a little faster than I was going due to bumping into one of the lads from the club, quick rub during lectures and then out the door after, by time I got to the evening I was fairly wrecked but funny enough it was more sleep than legs feeling bad.

Not the smartest approach to training but training doesn't always have to be optimal and sometimes can serve a higher purpose.

Tuesday AM 2 easy, 6 tempo, 2 easy

6 miles @ 6.05 min mile pace

Met up with the poster formally known as Billy Mills, formally know as Dr Quirky for this one in the park. Aim was eight @ close to MP. First few tipped by grand and felt handy enough, the pre session fatigue and sore glutes as a result of yesterday's endeavors quickly dissipated, Was all going well and in the fifth mile despite DQ/BM gaining a few seconds gap I was still reasonable comfortable, turned into the wind tunnel on the acres and effort started to soar while the pace started to plummet. Dug in working hard to get close to quirky and kept saying to myself get past the wind and you will regain composure. Turned the corner and knew I was done, wheels had came off with a 6.22 mile after averaging 6.01 for the first five, I knew I was done at six so bowed out as the bulldozer took the wind in his stride and continued on.

Despite the session getting the better of me it was still a decent effort and happy with it one tired legs, training is moving in the right direction and just need to continue ploughing through and ticking it off, I don't expect to feel in super shape at this stage anyway (just hoping I do by the time October comes around :D)

Advertisement