Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Wednesday AM 6.5 miles easy (7.37 min mile pace)

Handy one with dublinrunner this morning, legs heavy and definitely feeling the effects of the last few days

Thursday AM 5 miles easy (7.21 min mile pace)
    Thursday PM 3 miles easy, 6x1 mile w/ 2 min jog rec, 3 miles easy

Splits 5.42, 5.37, 5.38, 5.39, 5.38, 5.39

Nearly let laziness get the better of me this morning as put the early run off until the last minute. Legs seem to have turned a bit of a corner though with the extra bit of recovery with no evening run the day before.

Evening session was best to date in this cycle. Legs were feeling terrible at the start of the first rep. I had 5.40 in min as target pace but I was soon considering revising that to 5.45 or even 5.50, thankfully the legs soon got going and felt pretty good. Recoveries a little generous but I was happy with the effort going in. Good consistency and by the last one I was really fighting hard to maintain it. Delighted with the splits given the last few days of heavy mileage and hopefully it can lead to start of a really good training block over the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Is there a Mod ban on Tallaght AC people posting any form of training or have all you guys formed a cabal?
    Or has TBB got you all spooked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The Leaving Cert results just came out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Too busy coaching lost causes :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Too busy coaching lost causes :)

TbL

Nah he doesn't coach me anymore ;)

Nah my self exile was separate to the mass exodus. To be honest just kinda not feeling the love too much these days so kinda taking a step back from posting

Regards coaching there no such thing as a lost cause:)

To sum up training- middling at best mileage been a little low sessions not been spectacular and the odd off day a little to frequent. Bit of time on West Coast US hopefully recharge batteries and just have me enjoying the scenery with a good few miles

After sporadic posting over the last while I am starting to come around. Got some miles in while on holidays but to be honest this was just a way of avoiding starting on the booze too early and actually seeing some of the sights (Leavensworth WA is probably one of the most scenic places I have seen between the Bavarian style architecture and the Riverside mountain town setting)

Came back and my mind was made up, Dublin is well and truly off the cards, too much d!cking about during the summer meant that I was playing catch up and would have ended up me ramping up too quickly, which would have resulted in spectacular blow up or injury.

To be honest making this decision probably lifted a weight off me as I am not chasing fitness anymore but just building it properly and slowly. Last week was just getting back to normal after what was roughly 36 hours worth of travelling between bus trips, lay overs, flights and time differences.

The Garmin was left dead as I slogged along around for a few 45 min runs with TRR, both shadows of our formers selves :p. Jumped into Tymon parkrun as part of a bit of a tempo for some quality in the week. Bar Krusty the race wasn't top heavy and found myself in second surprisingly in 19.04. Despite the time being a good bit slower than normal tempo pace worryingly the effort was a bit higher than what it should have been for tempo effort (signifying I do have my work cut out for me) as the detox continued

Followed on to the start of proper training

Monday AM 5 miles easy (7.29 min mile pace)
    Monday PM 8 miles easy (7.33 min mile pace)

Kept these nice and handy, not feeling too bad

Tuesday AM 3 miles easy, 16*1 min hills w/90 sec rec, 3 mile easy

Had to improvise this one with the track being closed, ended up doing a gradual hill, happy enough with covering just short of 300m of these and ended up being a decent work out, was working by the last few which was exactly where I wanted to be so the effort was in the right range for sure

I have a few targets in mind now over the next few months but still pretty much up in the air until I fully think things through, won't be a marathon this side of Christmas however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see you back posting - you've been missed around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

19:04 is enough to finish second in the Tymon Parkrun?? Jaysus, even I'd be competitive in that!

• Advertisement

Good to see you back posting - you've been missed around here.

Have been lurking the last while so haven't been too far away :D
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    19:04 is enough to finish second in the Tymon Parkrun?? Jaysus, even I'd be competitive in that!

Depends on the week there have been weeks where 18 min wouldn't get you top 5. Looking at the stats from it that time ranks 31st from 12 parkruns to date so while not as competitive as some not a true reflection of the level week in week out. Served its purpose for me though that day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ecoli wrote: »
    Depends on the week there have been weeks where 18 min wouldn't get you top 5. Looking at the stats from it that time ranks 31st from 12 parkruns to date so while not as competitive as some not a true reflection of the level week in week out. Served its purpose for me though that day :D

Seems like the Marlay one is much stronger. I assume it's longer established?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Seems like the Marlay one is much stronger. I assume it's longer established?

Nearly 18 months, its also one of the biggest (in UK and Ireland) and also serves as training ground for alot more people so has a familiarity for alot of runners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Have been lurking the last while so haven't been too far away :D

19:04 would get you to maybe number 3 or 4 on Sisters Pearse all time best list.,,welcome back!!!

dukeraoul wrote: »
    19:04 would get you to maybe number 3 or 4 on Sisters Pearse all time best list.,,welcome back!!!

Talk about a motivational speech, better get the finger out before you hand me my transfer papers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

dukeraoul wrote: »

I cant believe youre still at this. I challenged you to a race, you accepted, I got too close to you and you over 10 miles and you ducked out. Didnt even conceed. Youre now racing a marathon the day before in germany

Your credibility is zero. Zilch. Keep slagging the club and ill keep pointing out how you totally panicked after the FD 10 and chickened out.

What do I have to do to get you to back your big talk up?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I cant believe youre still at this. I challenged you to a race, you accepted, I got too close to you and you over 10 miles and you ducked out. Didnt even conceed. Youre now racing a marathon the day before in germany

Your credibility is zero. Zilch. Keep slagging the club and ill keep pointing out how you totally panicked after the FD 10 and chickened out.

What do I have to do to get you to back your big talk up?.

This would have credibility if I'd lost but I beat every single Brothers Pearse runner. That includes the fastest distance runner you have. I've offered to spot you 4mins over the mara and you'll have the advantage of knowing my time. I think DCM is a **** course and I'm not gonna waste the hardest training I've probably ever done on a course that will lop mins off my time.

Any of your crowd running Athlone HM by any chance. - I'll beat them there and run a good time to boot ... Sorry for the thread jack - sisters be hatin !!!

Tuesday PM 4 miles recovery (8.59 min pace)

Just flushing out the legs after the session, plodded along nice and handy completely zoned out

Wednesday 11.5 miles easy (7.25 min pace)

Met up with TbL for this to pace through his session. To be honest at this stage it's not quite a pacing job but more a visual marker task of target pace chasing him. The more these sessions progress the steadier they are for me coming to the point where it won't be long before I am no longer pacing him on my easier days but rather running sessions with him.

Solid mid length run done for me so i'll take that as the legs are slowly but surely starting to remember what consistent running feels like

40 miles and 3/3 days running so far this month. Main aim for Sept is consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Only if you go on a drinking holiday every second week :)

TbL

Thursday AM 4 miles easy (7.33 min pace)
    Thursday PM 3 miles easy, 4 mile tempo, 3 miles easy

Tempo: 4 miles in 23.38 (5.55 min pace)
    Splits: 5.58, 5.56, 5.54, 5.50

This morning was flat out so I knew any sort of a run would be a bonus so a cheeky half hour between treatments and work. It was hot and humid so I was kinda glad it would be late by the time I got out for my session.

After work fueled by a Stew family Super Soup I set off. Cumulative fatigue has yet to kick in with regards actually being back full training so I was feeling good for this one. Aim was between 5.55-6 min and at first I was feeling this may have been a bit optimistic as took me a while to get into the swing of things but got easier as I went on. Was cruising the last two miles despite them being s tiny bit tougher in terms of loop profile (although admittedly it's a pretty flat loop overall). Finished the session feeling controlled with a bit left in the thank so it was exactly what the doctor ordered.

• Advertisement

What was in the soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

What was in the soup?

Sweet potato, carrots, lentils and chilli:) Yum

Marthastew wrote: »
    Sweet potato, carrots, lentils and chilli:) Yum

Seconded :)

Just hope it's WADA approved after how good I felt :P

Seconded :)

Just hope it's WADA approved after how good I felt :P

I was going to suggest that MS market it seeing as you could only manage 6:08 pace over 5k last Saturday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

If it's good enough to get Mr. S back racing, then it must be good!B-)

Friday OFF

Not a fan of days off but given that I had 70 miles as the target for the week and I was on for a +90 I said I would take it as precaution given the fact its first full training week back, took a fair bit of convincing though.

Saturday 13 miles w/ 11 steady + 45 min gym

Steady miles 11@ 6.45 min pace

Met up with DQ (given up trying to learn all his handles as he burns through them quicker than Krusty burns through training shoes) Handy enough the whole way around with the target being 6.40-6.50 for this, Majority was low 6.40s with only one outside (climbing up through Islandbridge gate around Wellington Monument. Didn't have the brekkie and I think it caught up with me as after 10 steady started to dry wretch a bit so I left it at 11 and just jogged in the last mile.

Home for food and then off to the gym. Delighted to have training done and dusted by midday and have the rest of the day to myself, if only there was a bit more sport on today to enjoy:rolleyes:

Sunday 6.5 miles easy (7.25 min pace)

Just a handy carefree run today. Legs were sore today as a result of a few factors (wine + 1st gym session in a while = DOMS for the ages). Met up with tRR for this one and just kept it handy

All in all a decent weeks training and all targets met, now if I can just string a number of these together it will make for a good winter

Monday 6 miles easy (7.14 min pace)

Bit of a manic start to the week. 10 hour work shift followed up with 3 hours of lectures in the evening for good measure meant I had a small window in between for a run.

Felt god awful starting out on this one and couldn't figure out why till I remembered that the nutrition hadn't been the greatest yesterday (forgot bank card at home for work shift) Just reiterates the effect your diet can have on recovery. After a half mile though was cruising and kept it nice and comfortable. Had intended on getting out again after lectures but was starving so sacrificed it for the dinner.

Another busy one today but should settle down the rest of the week so not too worried as long as I get out today

Tuesday 9 miles easy (7.17 min mile pace)

Today was all about getting a run of some description done. Was flat out from 8.30 this morning right through to 10pm between work and treatments and by the time I got out I was wrecked. Said to myself just head for my usual 8 mile loop, got two miles out and mentally gave up and turned back, on the way back however veered off saying to myself "just add one extra and make up the 5". 5 soon turned to six and by that stage I had made my way to another little loop that I have so I just said I would tag that on and before I knew it I had a decent 9 in the bag.

Happy with that as I knew today was gonna be the hardest day of the week in terms of actually getting anything productive done

• Advertisement

Wednesday 2 miles easy, 8 miles tempo, 2 miles easy

Tempo: 8 miles in 48.55 (6.07 mile pace)

Splits: 6.14, 6.14, 6.11, 6.08, 6.07, 6.03, 5.59, 5.54

Was supposed to do a session on the grass today and was trying to figure out how I was gonna manage it. Not a great one for morning sessions at the best of time before work and by the time work and treatments would be done for the night there wasn't enough daylight to safely do the session so I though I may have to find a different venue till I realised that my other session of the week was on Sat on the roads which also happened to be my only day off work so I just swapped them round. Amazing how common sense can very easily nearly escape you :rolleyes:

Aim for this one was 6.15ish pace and started off nice and handy feeling quite controlled, pace slowly dropped as the legs loosened out without too much effort was happy with how I was ticking on. Only when I came into the last mile did I feel I was really working but at this stage I was on a high given the effort of the pace up to that point so dug in and finished comfortably tired.

Advertisement