Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Don't be blaming my paranoid psycho ranting to you for your off day :)

TbL

Sadly self inflicted. I blame the day full of *(close your ears)* meanies, chocolate and winegums poor nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I haven't out psyched you already have I?

What's the story with the young fellah? I can give him a lift if needed.

I haven't out psyched you already have I?

What's the story with the young fellah? I can give him a lift if needed.

Haha don't worry still on track to make you work for top team spot ;)

I text him there waiting to hear back. I'll grab him as I know you old lads need your sleep so wouldn't wanna deprive you of an extra 15 min and have you blame that on why I beat you :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Haha don't worry still on track to make you work for top team spot ;)

I text him there waiting to hear back. I'll grab him as I know you old lads need your sleep so wouldn't wanna deprive you of an extra 15 min and have you blame that on why I beat you :D

You have it all wrong. Us old lads are up at the crack of dawn so we get a good run of the day. Sure I'll be having my Sunday roast at 11 tomorrow morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Enjoy the muck and wet tomorrow Ecoli.

When you pass TRR be careful not to step on the_turd :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck tomorrow man.

Saturday OFF

Missed this run as by time work and treatments were finished decided it would be counter productive with the race so just did a bit of foam rolling

Sunday

First race in a while. By time I lined up for this one to see a number of regraded athletes and "1st timers" (if you can call mid 2.20 marathoners novice:p) I knew that my initial position target was probably a bit ambitious so I decided that I just wanted a good hard race and see where I end up.

Lap 1

Decent start and after the dust settled there was me and TRR sitting side beside just inside top 40. The rolling hills I took fairly comfortably with striding out on the down hill and working on the uphills. By the time we came down in the glen a lad from Clonliffe made a move on the outside and I followed suit breaking away from "the turd". Came around onto the flat and the wind was pretty bad so I just tucked in and let the bigger guys take on the wind.

Lap 2

Coming into the 2nd lap and true to his name the turd was firmly stuck to my spikes :D. Heard some heavy breathing from him and I thought that his effort level was slightly higher than mine so I was feeling in a good spot. We had moved up slowly but surely picking off a few straggler along the way but there was a group up about 40-50m ahead that I had my sights on and was trying to work up to. The rest of the lap followed a similar fashion to the last and I was taking the rolling hills pretty well although was feeling the pace changes. Worked back up around the forest and found myself again breaking free. By the time I got on to the flatter side of the course back into the head wind though I was caught in no mans land suffering in the wind.

Lap 3

By the start of this one the lads had caught me and I had worked much harder than I would have liked to. I dunno whether it was this or just a mental lapse but the 3rd lap was slightly disappointing and lost ground on the turd and a few other lads. I was not in a good place but I laboured on.

Lap 4
    Managed to snap myself out of the funk of the third lap. Started pushing out the hills and was feeling strong, better yet it looked like I was gaining on TRR (even if it was only marginally) came around the forest and I still had a bit left, Started a long drive to try and reel him in as much as possible I was managing to pull back a second or two but to I knew there was not enough time let, even worse I was hurting but I dug in, no major sprint but enough to up the effort.

Crossed the line and peeped a look at the finishing sheet to see I was between 30th-32nd and about 10 seconds off TRR. Very happy with that run and definitely felt strong, think lack of work on grass may have worked against me but only slightly as it was a good strong effort and happy with how I ran it (bar the third lap but it gives me something to work on)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lost to an old man...

Suprised to see results sheet up so quick for Novice, I managed to fair better on position but worse on time gap between myself and TRR based on them, still a mid 20s finish with certainly take that.

Monday AM 4 miles recovery (No watch)
    Monday PM Postural Analysis and Functional movement screening

Morning run was just a leg loosener and a method of transport to pick up the car, legs felt surprisingly DOMS free after the race.

The evening got an assessment done just to help me tinker with my gym work and S&C stuff to target area's which need attention. Do this every few months as a way of just ensuring I am getting most out of gym work and pre empting any issues which might occur, few major things came up so will have my work cut out

Tuesday AM 6 miles easy (7.26 min mile pace)
    Tuesday PM 8 miles easy (7.30 min mile pace)

Winter is finally kicking in, beautiful morning for running while the sun was out (though still a bit nippy) evening run on the other handy felt truly like a wintery night though in some ways I kinda enjoy this in a sick way, always find it easier to get the head down and put in the hard graft come winter knowing the the rewards will be reaped come the Spring/Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Where/who did the postural analysis and movement screening for you? What does it consist of?

• Advertisement

Where/who did the postural analysis and movement screening for you? What does it consist of?

Another therapist I know who has done the FSM course's as well as having a good eye for the postural analysis and a S&C background . It basically runs through your alignment in a static position as well as running through certain movements (walking, lunge, deep squat, OH squat, shoulder rotation etc) just to give an whether certain area's/ muscles are compensating for other etc.

Can be a bit of a minefield and you can completely overanalyze things (I know previously I have seen issues which should prevent me from any significant training or steeple chasing yet I laboured on :D) but it is a good tool to use to help specify some aspects of my gym work (as it currently stands I will be dropping single leg squats as a result until I correct a minor hip alignment issue)

Wednesday AM 2 miles easy, 8x1k w/ jog 200 (ave. 90 sec) recovery, 1 mile easy

Splits: 3.23, 3.21, 3.19, 3.20, 3.21, 3.21, 3.21, 3.17

Down to track with the Doc (5 years down the line wont have a clue who I was training with looking back on the logs and trying to match usernames) and dublinrunner.

First rep felt harder than should have but I just put that down to the conditions being fairly poor, stride felt uncomfortable (left orthotics at home so didn't wear usual training flats which could have contributed or just the fact that I have only had 2 training sessions on flat track surface in last few months)

Normally it would be a case of me and the doc working in alternation regards reps through a session but the Doc seems on a whole other level regards fitness at the moment and spent majority of the session on his coat tails keeping him honest from a couple of metres back.

Finished like three drowned rats but it didn't matter with how well session went. Don't plan on to many track workouts over next few months but every once in a while its great for a confidence boost

Thursday AM 50 min gym + 9.5 miles easy (7.21 min pace)

Few tweaks to the gym work meant that leg press and squats were replaced for the next few weeks meaning that I am not as wiped as normal although still felt a good workout, followed this up with a run in PP with TbL to pace through his session for the day

Fri Evening 4 miles easy (no watch)

Overlap in work shifts meant I could get away for a proper lunch break for once so took advantage of it with a sneaky loop around the UCD trails. Appreciated the surroundings a bit more than usual tonight as these sort of runs around Dublin could be coming to an end in the forseeable future with the offer of a possible long term warm weather training stint on the horizon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Fri Evening 4 miles easy (no watch)

Overlap in work shifts meant I could get away for a proper lunch break for once so took advantage of it with a sneaky loop around the UCD trails. Appreciated the surroundings a bit more than usual tonight as these sort of runs around Dublin could be coming to an end in the forseeable future with the offer of a possible long term warm weather training stint on the horizon. :)

Sounds great man, fair play.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Sounds great man, fair play.

Undecided as of yet to be honest as of yet with the therapy business just starting up I am a little reluctant however the more I think about it the more I am thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Undecided as of yet to be honest as of yet with the therapy business just starting up I am a little reluctant however the more I think about it the more I am thinking about it

Come over this direction and I'll be a regular customer! Ha.

blockic wrote: »
    Come over this direction and I'll be a regular customer! Ha.

Job offer is central Europe unfortunately, bright note would be that my degree from UCD might actually finally stand to me with my classical knowledge of Roman culture and history :D

(Anyone know the Italian for Piriformis? :D)

Most likely nothing will come from it but hey nice to feel wanted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Job offer is central Europe unfortunately, bright note would be that my degree from UCD might actually finally stand to me with my classical knowledge of Roman culture and history :D

(Anyone know the Italian for Piriformis? :D)

Most likely nothing will come from it but hey nice to feel wanted :)

Job offer, Central Europe, what the fock, what about me :)

TbL

TbL

You were looking for a spring marathon ;)

http://www.maratonadiroma.it/

Weighing things up I would probably miss the abuse from tRR, the reflex training of sudden evasion maneuvers on my runs through Tallaght (especially with the cover of night coming in meaning the scrots will be out in force with missiles over the coming months) and the training partners too much to move so I think your safe ;)

• Advertisement

On behalf of tallaght ac take the fooking job. Good riddance to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

TbL

He'll probably see more of you if he's based in Central Europe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You were looking for a spring marathon ;)

http://www.maratonadiroma.it/

That's very much Southern Europe not Central Europe ;))

Saturday AM 5 miles easy (7.34 min pace)
    Saturday PM 8 miles easy (7.21 min pace)

Handy runs, legs a little on the sore side last few days. Probably overeached on the 1k reps earlier in the week and not letting the body recover as much as I should so just kept it nice and handy

Sunday 19.7 mile progression (7.15 - 6.00 min pace)

Change of scenery today heading out to Krustyland for this one to meet up with the Clown Prince of Crime himself and Dublin runner. Nearly slept this out after being woken at 3 this morning and not getting back to sleep till 5 and then waking up again just in time to get out the door and across meant I was running on empty.

Despite Krusty's mantra of "its all down hill apart from the uphills) the course itself was fair. In terms of weather it was perfect and wouldn't have been out of place if it was mid July. Tipped along nice enough and was going grand till about 13 miles and the difference between marathon runners and myself started to show as I started to dig in to stay on the back.

Managed to hang on to the lads and rally until about 16 than came to a hill which I attacked before realising that it was significantly longer than first thought. At this point I fell off the back for the first time properly however coming into a stretch of trail with a sharp downhill. Let my momentum carry me and managed to reel the lads back in and even drive on. This was short lived however as I came to another hill and I was off the back this time for good. The lads upped it again however I didn't have any more gears so I just ended up trying to maintain.

17th mile and I was slowing but still a good effort however it was after this mile that the lack of marathon strength caught me and I bonked completely. The last two miles roughly were painful but I just digged in and aimed to keep them under 7 min pace (thankfully I managed to average around 6.50 here)

Despite the bonk actually really happy with how I managed this one to be honest and managed to average 6.42 min pace so I will certainly take that off lower mileage base than usual and more 10k specific fitness focus

(Stealing DR garmin update as reference for lap by lap split for atleast the first 13or so miles before we both went our separate ways; him pushing on and me slowly dying a death :P)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/610874768

Monday AM 10 miles easy (7.02 min pace)

Handy one in the park today. Felt a good bit better than thought I would on this one and was fairly handy effort wise

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (7.39 min pace)

A handy jaunt of a leg loosener this morning. Got a bit of work done last night during practical aspects of lectures last night which saved me trip to getting them flushed out, so the legs felt good on this one

After aiming to clarify my position last night regarding comments made and getting back on training talk were met with a poorly veiled popped through the use of a "novel" style post which has since been deleted I have come to the conclusion that there will be no meaningful discussion of training I have decided to call it a day.

I know this will be seen as some sort of solidarity stance given quirky's recent closure but the fact is that there has been a toxic atmosphere recently which has made for bad blood and frankly posters who I have known for years are being drawn into tit for tat exhanges which has made everyone involved come out worse off. It serves no purpose and rather than being dragged into that style of posting through constant goading, subtle condescension I will bow out. Life is to short.

In doing this I realize that given many people here contact me through PM for booking treatments and closing my account is counter productive in this regard but for those who do I will leave my email address as well as the likes of Meno, tRR, Marthastew among others who have my number if anyone wishes to get in contact with me.

lcolemansportstherapy@gmail.com

Likewise anyone with any forms of questions don't ever hesitate to contact me with any questions.

To those I coach I will be keeping an eye on logs but communications will be via other mediums.

To some of the guys I run with best of luck to DR in Dublin and likewise KC in Frankfurt.

To all members of the Novice thread best of luck on the big day and hope that this is just the beginning of your epic running journeys

To everyone I have ran with, learned from, treated, debated with, drank with, raced, its been a pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Feck sake. So many have learned so much off you here, you will be genuinely sadly missed. The very best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sad day- ecoli was the best poster ever here. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jaysus

Advertisement