Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Lionel bleedin' Richie.........would ya f£ck off.
    Yer ma must have told you about him.

welcome back btw.

They did a documentary about the influences on modern day music in school...... decided not to mitch that day, glad I didn't now :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah well, that was nice while it lasted :(

Ah well, that was nice while it lasted :(

Haha still confined to the realms of my training log for now, if I get brave I might dip my toe back the adult pool main forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Welcome home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

There have been a few bad days for this forum recently- today is a good one, welcome back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

All is right with the world once more. Welcome back. :)

sideswipe wrote: »
    There has been a few bad days for this forum recently- today is a good one, welcome back.

To be fair looking back you swear I had died (Even put up with that aul fecker TRR for a few runs just to make sure that I was seen in public in case people started to worry :P)......

Anyway enough about all that back down to training, racing and enjoying running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Happy days, great to see you back, and banging out the sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Great stuff, but couldn't you have put a bit more effort/thought into your reincarnated username, just look at that turd fella :)

TbL

Welcome back - have to agree with TBL though - thought his suggestion of Salmon Eile had a certain ring to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great to see you back man. What's the focus for the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's like Good Friday and Easter Sunday on the last few pages of this log.

Welcome back.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Great to see you back man. What's the focus for the winter?

The focus is on learning from my mistakes and trying to correct the things I haven't done well in the past.

Last year I spent a lot of time building up aerobically with marathon-centric training to the point where I got in great shape, raced like a lunatic and when it caught up with me I took a well needed break but never got going again.

This winter I sat down and asked myself how can I learn from this and improve so set out a plan to get in good race shape without realising it. As I think regular racing definitely brings you on and gives you a stimulus no training session can replicate I decided to throw in a few cross races. The focus has been on a bit more 5k effort stuff as I think this is probably one of my weaknesses. I have not problem banging out short 1500/3k reps all day and tempo's have always been a strong point but the in between always seems to be the bit missing (mainly because I never really do enough in the past)

Sessions have been thought out but aim to avoid doing too similar sessions so they aren't comparable. I have thrown in the odd track session also more as a way of reminding me every now and then the training is going in the right direction but have varied these.

If I get to mid December in good shape to be able to use as a platform to push on for some fast 5k/10k times in the spring/ early summer I will be a happy camper. Have a few ideal times in mind that I would like to hit but not worrying about setting targets until I get through the cross country races, one this morning and then Dublin Intermediates at the end of the month which I am hoping for a good team effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Good to see you back again ;)

Friday PM 4 miles very easy (8.09 min pace)

Just a handy pre race shake out, typical those days when you want nothing more than to get out of work on time you end up held up late.

Saturday

As if the wet weather wasn't bad enough this week the cross country gods threw in a bit of heavy rainfall for good measure this morning. I knew the soft footing was not going to suit the roadrunners and I knew it was gonna be a hard slog but was kinda relishing it.

Usual barometer for BHAA races for me is top 10 so I figured that might be a good target, that is till I lined up to see Maher, Hayes, Mansell, the Callaghan bro's and a few other of the "heavies" lining up so I knew this was gonna be a much higher standard than usual.

Started conservative enough but was quickly into my running after about 800m running. There was a group of about 5 runners that I tried to stick on the back of as this was top 10 position, pace was hot enough but figured better to go with them than to get isolated by the end of the 1st lap (1 mile loops) however I knew that I couldn't sustain the pace and got separated.

Start of the second lap and I was in no mans land with 10-15m either side of me to the next competitor. Even more distressing was the fact that behind me was the leading lady, a girl I was in college with and has a similar enough 1500m PB to me. The fact that races were combined with the women only doing 2 mile I knew I was gonna have to be at my best to stay ahead of her. With each passing lap also the ground was getting more cut up so was starting to become a mudbath.

Lap 3 and I had held on as the lead lady crossed the line about 4-5 seconds behind me (thank Christ). It was this lap that between the footing worsening and the fear of getting chicked subsiding this is where I really started to hurt, it was also here where I lost my first position of the race (2 passed me including Sacksian however we had caught a Bandon AC lad so I was sitting in around 16th/17th)

Ground was tore up at this stage and I was struggling to get any sort of rhythm. By the end of the lap a small pack (3 runners) had caught me and pulled away a bit, with it being the last lap however I managed to tap into the well a bit to find I had a bit extra in the engine and I managed to start to close on the lads a little bit. coming around the last bend and was passed by a runner finishing strong as well as the familiar face of the Bandon AC athlete I had passed after the second lap. He tried to pass but found an extra gear and despite not having an all out kick finished strong

Results 22nd 23.53

Quite happy with the run and provided a great workout just in case the Intermediates ends up being a bit of a mudbath. Will have to wait till official results posted to see exactly how the performance went in relation to others in around my usual racing level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Welcome back, great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

Welcome Back Ecoli Mark 2. Even if I still cannot figure out exactly what caused you to leave in the first place :D. This is YOUR house! But its good to have you back. I've already enjoyed your posts since your return. Like you've never been away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you back. Good username too! You seem to have a thing for the Latin.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great stuff - welcome back

Sunday 12 miles easy (7.38 min pace)

Late night/ early morning combo and race had me a little fried so I kept this long run short and easy

Monday 5 miles recovery (9.27 min pace)

Very handy one and a bit of therapy work on the hamstrings just as maintenance tonight to try and get a bit of badly needed flexibility into them (shockingly bad for a runner)

Tuesday AM 6 miles easy (7.25 min pace)
    Tuesday Afternoon 1 hour flexibility and mobilzation work

Tuesday PM 2 miles easy, 6x1 mile progressive w/ 2.30 rec (jog 400), 1 miles easy

Splits: 6.04, 5.56, 5.44, 5.36, 5.25, 5.16

Down to the track this evening with the Doc for this one. To be honest I didn't know how this one was gonna go, Fog descending over the track highlighted by the floodlights gave this session a sense of grandeur, to be honest I was kinda worried about the early stages of this session as the aim was simple start at MP and work down 10 seconds a mile to culminate in one of the fastest miles I have done in training in recent memory.

First lap of first one was very slow but recovered well, perspiring a little heavier than I would have liked in first one, second one roled on and I was questioning effort levels, maybe it was just the cold but felt harder than it should have, 3rd one rolled in and I started hitting my stride, 5.36 next one was cruising nicely. At this stage I had been set up nicely and the good doc bowed out, this was where I was down to the business end of things. Next one was tough but controlled but I was feeling like this was the end of a good workout, sadly it was not and I was down to unchartered territory. The doc agreed to pace the first 400m and did so to perfection in 79, then I was on my own up on my toes and working but the pace wasn't increasing as I hit 40 and 40 for the next 200m splits, next lap and I was started to wretch as the another 40 rolled in as I decided to myself I was done at 1200.

Q must have sensed this as low and behold he came to my rescue as I hit the last lap however I was started to wretch a little more violently and more frequently at this stage with 300 to go I was nearly stepping off the track but got shouted at so I said I would make it to the 200 mark. From here he stepped off and I turned on the after burners, the last 100m the wretching had contagiously enveloped the whole body and each wretch came with a complete body spasm, crossed the line and had managed to salvage the target pace.

The two things I learned from this is 5.15 pace doesn't actually feel impossible for reps and sustaining yourself with tar like protein bars is not the best nutrition in build up to a session :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well that was graphic! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

pconn062 wrote: »

it reads like a scene from "Love Hate"

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

pconn062 wrote: »

Very homoerotic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ECOLII wrote: »
    Sunday 12 miles easy (7.38 min pace)

Late night/ early morning combo and race had me a little fried so I kept this long run short and easy

Monday 5 miles recovery (9.27 min pace)

Very handy one and a bit of therapy work on the hamstrings just as maintenance tonight to try and get a bit of badly needed flexibility into them (shockingly bad for a runner)

Tuesday AM 6 miles easy (7.25 min pace)
    Tuesday Afternoon 1 hour flexibility and mobilzation work

Tuesday PM 2 miles easy, 6x1 mile progressive w/ 2.30 rec (jog 400), 1 miles easy

Splits: 6.04, 5.56, 5.44, 5.36, 5.25, 5.16

Down to the track this evening with the Doc for this one. To be honest I didn't know how this one was gonna go, Fog descending over the track highlighted by the floodlights gave this session a sense of grandeur, to be honest I was kinda worried about the early stages of this session as the aim was simple start at MP and work down 10 seconds a mile to culminate in one of the fastest miles I have done in training in recent memory.

First lap of first one was very slow but recovered well, perspiring a little heavier than I would have liked in first one, second one roled on and I was questioning effort levels, maybe it was just the cold but felt harder than it should have, 3rd one rolled in and I started hitting my stride, 5.36 next one was cruising nicely. At this stage I had been set up nicely and the good doc bowed out, this was where I was down to the business end of things. Next one was tough but controlled but I was feeling like this was the end of a good workout, sadly it was not and I was down to unchartered territory. The doc agreed to pace the first 400m and did so to perfection in 79, then I was on my own up on my toes and working but the pace wasn't increasing as I hit 40 and 40 for the next 200m splits, next lap and I was started to wretch as the another 40 rolled in as I decided to myself I was done at 1200.

Q must have sensed this as low and behold he came to my rescue as I hit the last lap however I was started to wretch a little more violently and more frequently at this stage with 300 to go I was nearly stepping off the track but got shouted at so I said I would make it to the 200 mark. From here he stepped off and I turned on the after burners, the last 100m the wretching had contagiously enveloped the whole body and each wretch came with a complete body spasm, crossed the line and had managed to salvage the target pace.

The two things I learned from this is 5.15 pace doesn't actually feel impossible for reps and sustaining yourself with tar like protein bars is not the best nutrition in build up to a session :p

One of the reasons people say this place has gone to cr*p is because theres little running talk anymore. You know a load about running, so, purely in the interests of playing devils advocate (and not in the interests of being a d*ck), how would respond on a civilised forum like this one (now ;)) if I said*

6.04, not even tempo for you - 2:30 too generous.
    5.56, ditto but better
    5.44, about right maybe?
    5.36, okaaayyyy
    5.25, who are you kidding ;)
    5.16, high injury risk for not much more benefit.

What are you aiming for with progressive intervals like these? The stress you must have been under in the last one is so, so different to the first. Why not target one level of stress now and another the next time, instead of spending a small amount of time at different levels of effort?

* feel free to reciprocate on my log when I start doing sessions.

@TBB

You are right in the starting pace is slower than Tempo pace in fact the aim was closer to AeT (MP effort)

Over the last few months I have added a few multi paced sessions to try and be a bit more cross specific

With this session it was a case of trying to increase the intensity as the session went on through means of multi pace rather than multi distance The early reps aimed to supply a bit of fatigue in the legs before aiming for a harder than 5k effort on tired legs for the last, the incremental pace changes aimed to keep the efforts in some sort of controlled manner.

The other benefit was to get the body in touch with slightly quicker than 5k pace work to aim to transition into more 5k style stuff in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, is your user name ECOL II, or ECOLI I??? ;)

Wednesday - 6 miles easy (7.56 min pace)

Thursday AM - 4 miles easy (7.25 min pace)
    Thursday PM - 8 miles easy (7.32 min pace)

Friday - OFF

Saturday - OFF

Sunday - OFF

Monday - 4 mile recovery no watch

Tuesday - 7 miles Easy (7.41 min pace)

Wednesday - 11.5 miles easy (7.24 min pace)

Three days off were a result of lads weekend away breakfast bars, coffee haunts and a few fizzy drinks. In the short term sometimes these weekends hinder but in long term they can save a bit of sanity when we take life too serious :)

Despite this you really never can get away from the sport as one of the lads is living and training over there while we randomly bumped into a Clonliffe runner who I basically grew up racing (mind you its a long time since I got within an assess roar of him considering he is is nearly as far under 4 min for 1500 as I am over it :p)

First few days just getting back into it and recovering, was still struggling a bit with DR this morning who decided to throw in a sneaky extra mile and a half as punishment as he knew I was not firing on all cylinders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

ECOLII wrote: »
    First few days just getting back into it and recovering, was still struggling a bit with DR this morning who decided to throw in a sneaky extra mile and a half as punishment as he knew I was not firing on all cylinders

Just trying to tire you out before the XC Inters next week :). Pretty embarrassing on my part to get lost when within a mile of home though!

Thursday 11 miles easy approx (7.20ish pace)

Met up with tRR and the good doctor as we took a spin up to the waterworks for this one. Really enjoyable one, still suffering the affects of last weekend but I am coming round just haven't fully caught up on the sleep just yet.

Forgot to charge garmin so relying on the lads watches for rough paces

Friday OFF

Saturday 5 miles easy (7.39 min pace)

Sunday 2 mile warm up 4x400 w/ 75 rec, 2k@ Tempo, 4x400 w/75 rec 2 c/d

Splits:
    69, 72, 70, 71
    72, 72, 73, 73

Definitely going through the motions this week. This was supposed to be last big session before Intermediates however given last weekend and easy running all week recovering I knew it was gonna be optimistic. Going out too hard on the first few (opened up first in 33) further compounded this. Felt like death on the 2k and covinced myself that I was running too slow to be anywhere near pace however was glad to be proven wrong by the watch time after time as I came through 400m splits

Lots of negatives to take from this session but the one positive is that was getting close to 1500m pace without it feeling too bad so not all doom and gloom and may even have a decent indoor race or two :)

• Advertisement

Monday 5 miles easy (7.27 min pace)

Time constraints (10 hours work shift and 5 hours worth of college) meant that I kept this short and handy

Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (7.21 min pace)
    Tuesday PM approx 5.5 miles very easy (no watch)

Firs run was beautiful mild weather really enjoyed and then the evening run was with boards favourite 00 agent TbL back from a top secret mission for her majesty's secret service. Too impatient to wait for a satellite so just tipped along handy enough

Wednesday 1.5 miles easy,
    4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200 w/ 75 sec (200m jog) recovery,
    1.5 miles easy

Splits:
    74, 75,
    78, 77
    34, 34, 33, 34

Shortened recovery from the last time I did this session so was gonna be tough, cold air cut through the lungs pretty fierce especially on the 400s for some reason but very happy with the 800, not only was it the fastest in this session ever (could have just been because the 400s were a bit on the slow side) but the body felt relatively comfortable in terms of form throughout even coming down the last 100 which is usually more hanging on.

Though I am not the strongest in terms of endurance that I have ever been I am definitely alot sharper than I have been in a while so it will be interesting to see how race on Sunday goes and from then will start to focus on targetting a few PB's over the following 8 weeks hopefully

Advertisement