Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Sunday

1 mile warm up,
    1 mile jog bend/stride straights
    3 x (500m,1 min jog rec, 300) 4 min rec between sets
    1 mile cooldown

Splits:

1.25, 49.7
    1.27, 51.2
    1.28, 52.4

1st Middle distance session in a long while, wasn't sure how it was gonna go especially with the cold air, target was 1.28,52 so happy to hit them. On paper I thought the session might have seemed a little easy and had considered adding another set but thankfully sense prevailed and I was only too glad as I came down the last 100m of the 500m rep on the last set.

1st set I felt good however I knew deep down I was not controlled as I should be on these in terms of form so probably a little bit on the fast side for the weather but all in all a good session and introduction back to 1500m stuff

Monday 8 miles easy (7.55 min pace)

Full morning of treatments to get out of the way then a handy one out with Meno. Was ideal the icy conditions with the sun gleaming actually made this one pretty enjoyable even if I was fairly sluggish this morning

Tuesday 5 miles easy

While not hungover a very late night/ early morning meant just getting out was the mission of the day.... job done. Left the watch at home (partially because it went missing for a couple of days and partly because I didn't really care about distance or pace just ended up doing a usual 5 mile loop

Wednesday approx 7 miles easy

Handy one, watch still MIA but but just took it nice and handy

Thursday 4 miles recovery

New year party at the parents culminated in about a 5am finish. Labored around for a few very very handy miles.

Finally thank god holiday is over :). In comparison to last year it was not the best one but to be honest I had kinda figured that would be the case given the family circumstances last year it was a case of trying to gain normality back into the holiday. Relatively worse for wear but I managed to get out regularly and about a month to get the head down before racing next

Looking back on the year in terms of my running despite some ups and downs overall was a pretty good year.

January started well with some very good training right up until the night before Raheny when I broke the nose. In hindsight a sub 28 that day was pretty good result considering my face looked like the stay puft marshmallow man.

February was abysmal in terms of training, running through the motions but definitely a month I was glad to put behind with the nose (whether it physically or just mentally) really scuppering any attempt at solid training. The month was capped off with one race in probably my slowest 5k in about 8 years with a 17.49.

March got off to a bang with a completely unexpected PB in Bohermeen (only 8 seconds) which was a huge confidence boost considering that only a week previously I had failed to hold that pace for a 5k. This was just what the doctor ordered as restored confidence that the fitness wasn't completely gone, this was coupled with the fact that the last of the internal swelling had cleared up from the nose so I was back on track. got head back down training and bar food poisoning two days after pacing Tralee marathon it was a pretty consistent month

April got me in race mode. PB in K Club, 7th in Brian Boru 10 miler (1st 10 miler so assured PB as well as team silver), PB and 1st track race win in 3000m at Gradeds meant it was a very busy race month and just one of those rare times when you can do no wrong with your running.

May started with pacing Limerick which was a great experience but ultimately probably ill advised less than a week after gradeds and ended up with a hip flexor issue that cost me a week training. Bounced back equalling 10k PB to the second on track unexpectedly after the niggle as well as a solid performance in the Gradeds steeple that week but at that stage body was in bad need of a break so took 2 weeks off to coincide with a holiday.

Jun was a return to training but had lost the mojo a bit and found it hard to get the head back down to get in serious training, ended up most of the month just plodding along. Only racing was the National Leagues second round where I was just running for the points as I was doubling up with the 5000m and steeple in less than hour so was happy enough with a 10.43/17.20 double

July again tipping away but not getting down to the serious training needed to be ready for marathon training. One race down in Donadea which combination of bad footing as well as bad shape meant I barely broke 18

August just the one race a local park run 2 days after a boozy trip to the US for 10 days. Said I would tempo it but to be honest was a bit harder than tempo and ran around 19.

September marked giving up on trying for Dublin and focused on getting in shape for Cross. Finally got the head down and some good training. Finished the month with Dublin Novice and my highest ever placing.

October was more of the same. Volume a little lacking but that quality was there and some very good cross sessions. Finished the month with the BHAA XC out in ALSAA. A bit lower down the field than I would have liked but the mud I think it was more my handling of the conditions rather than shape that was the factor here.

November was all about Dublin Intermediates. Focus was waning a bit and a few more rest days than I would have liked but ended up with a very good result at the race and one I was happy with

December was a freebie race in Waterford which resulted in a surprise PB, delighted with it and hopefully now push on into the new year and keep the results going

All in all I managed 2 HM PB's, 2 10k (1 and equalled it), 3k PB as well as a good batch of decent results and looking back raced every month so alot more consistency than there has been in the past. Still more to improve on next year but if I can manage that a year like I had this year I can hold my head high

Try to update this every year just to help give myself an indication of how I go year on year

Jan| Raheny 5 mile| 27.45|
    Feb| Marlay Park Run |17.49|
    Mar| Bohermeen HM| 1.16.12|PB
    Mar| Tralee Marathonl| 3.00.04| Pacer
    Apr| K Club 10k| 34.10|PB
    Apr| Brian Boru 10M| 57.27|PB
    Apr| 3000m Graded meet| 9.20.02|PB
    May| Limerick Marathon| 2.59.25|Pacer
    May| 10000m Graded Meet| 34.10.02|=PB
    May| National League Rd. 1 - 3000m S/C| 10.38|
    June| National Leagues 3000m S/C| 10.43|
    June|National Leagues 5000m| 17.20|
    July| Donadea 5k| 17.54|
    August| Tymon Park Run| 19.04|
    September| Dublin Novice XC||
    Oct| BHAA 4 mile XC | |
    Nov| Dublin Intermediate XC||
    Dec| Waterford HM |1.16.01|PB

27-Jan| Raheny 5 mile| 28.39|
    22-Feb| Malahide Park Run |17.17|
    17-Mar| Tubbercurry 10k| 37.03|
    20-Mar| Club 1500m time trial| 4.27|
    14-Apr| Great Ireland Run| 36.49|
    02-May| Graded Meet - 800m| 2.10.43|
    13-May| Tom Byrne 5k| 17.06|
    16-May| Graded meet - 1500m| 4.28.16|
    27-May| National Leagues 3000m S/C| 10.58|
    30-May| Graded Meet - 1 mile| 4.54.39|
    08-Aug| Dublin Rock and Roll Half| 1.25.11|
    06-Oct| Kilcock Kilomathon| 1.49.22|
    31-Oct| Dublin Marathon | 3.00.17|
    01-Dec| Dublin Intermediate XC||
    14-Dec| Marlay Parkrun |17.18|
    22-Dec| Clonliffe Cracker 5k| 16.46

Jan|Raheny 5|27.21| PB|
    Feb|Garda 4 mile XC| 23.51||
    Feb| Interclubs XC|41.07|Course best|
    Mar|DCC 4 mile|21.40|PB|
    Jun|National Leagues 3k S/C|11.12||
    Jun| Midsummer 5k|17.34||
    July|National Leagues|10.27|PB|
    Sept|National Half|82.46||
    Sept|Bhaa 10k|35.24||
    Sept|Dublin Half|76.20|PB|
    Sept|Liz McDonnell 5k XC|17.48||
    Oct|Tallaght 5 mile|28.05||

• Advertisement

2015 got off to a bit of a limp start for the simple fact that despite the festivities ceasing body needed a bit of time to catch up on sleep, and just get back to feeling normal, didn't help that I had on average 11 hour days Friday Saturday and Sunday.

Fri OFF

Had a session down to do but by time I finished work it dawned on me that it was too late to grab a key to the track off anyone and rather than just do an easy run laziness got best of me and took it off. At this stage figuredto scrap the week and have a do over next week

Saturday OFF

Work came and went, commitments after work came and went and around midnight when planned to run anyway went to get up and body was having none of it, just about made it to the bed

Sunday 5 miles easy

Despite 13 hour day of hell in work I was resolved to get this run done, gave the brother my car keys so I would have no other way to get home from work other than run. Was glad for it as it actually improved the mood

Monday AM 5 miles easy (6.58 min pace)
    Monday PM 6 miles easy (7.09 min pace)

AM run was back into the job to pick up the car pretty much all downhill so paces a little artificial coupled with the fact that after last week the body is fresh

Tuesday AM
    2 miles easy, 1 mile jog bends/stride straights,
    4x800m, 4x200m with 2 min walk/jog rec
    2 miles easy

Splits
    800s 2.31, 2.32, 2.31, 2.34
    200s 29.8, 30.6, 31.7, 31.4

Didn't know how this was gonna go, December wasn't a great month so was unsure as to how much fitness I had lost, answer was not too much. The first rep felt hard enough but managed to hit the pace, second one and I was sucking diesel, shorter recoveries than I am used to was taking it's toll as the legs started to feel like Jelly. 3rd rep and I regained composure and was running fairly relaxed, last rep and the legs were like mush, fatigue was setting in.
    200's started and felt I had a new lease of life, good knee drive from the start and ended up being a bit faster than planned on the first one, second one stayed at relaxed best effort focusing on staying controlled and was spot on, last two a little on the slow side (target was 31) but at this stage of the session was to be expected. All in all a good session, these types of sessions are ones that I would do too often especially back to back so next few weeks will be a different type of pain to what I have been accustomed to

Tuesday PM 2 easy, 4 tempo(ish), 2 easy

Splits: 6.06, 5.58, 5.50, 5.57

Went a bit off original plan here running with TRR, kinda said to myself it would be a good endurance test to run this on tired legs and if wasn't up to it I could pull the plug. First mile was a bit of a climb and thought was just not our night as we weren't getting pace down to target (6 flat) however next two miles were fairly favourable and made up for it. Legs were feeling pretty good despite the short turnaround and felt relatively controlled however last mile the session from earlier reared its head and the heaviness in the legs set in, despite this pace was fine and finished the session unscatted.

Tomorrow shall be EASY to say the least:D

Wednesday AM 4 miles recovery (9.25 min pace)

Slow and easy was the order of the day as the legs were feeling the effects of yesterday as each tender step started to improve. As people zipped by me in the park I was delighted just to keep things as slow as possible

Wednesday PM 25 min dynamic flexibility

Legs still heavy from yesterday and with the mileage well on track for the week figured I would spend a bit of time tending to the overlooked area's for a bit of TLC focusing on a few area's which need to be work on, not niggles per say but area's of interest which have become apparent over last few months

Thursday AM 8 miles (varying paces)

Met up with TBL for his session this morning, gone are the days where I am not working a bit on these sessions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ECOLII wrote: »

Legs still heavy from yesterday and with the mileage well on track for the week figured I would spend a bit of time tending to the overlooked area's for a bit of TLC focusing on a few area's which need to be work on, not niggles per say but area's of interest which have become apparent over last few months

;)

This is no place for that sort of filth!

This is no place for that sort of filth!

I blame the last three people I have ran with; Meno, tRR and TbL or as they are soon to be known as; The Village people :D

• Advertisement

I blame the last three people I have ran with; Meno, tRR and TbL or as they are soon to be known as; The Village people :D

The Pirate, The Mexican and The Spy. Quite the troupe.

Thursday PM 4.5 miles easy (6.49 min pace)

Miserable weather but managed to drag my ass around for this one, wind on my back for the first half kinda had me running a little quicker than normal and even on way back was feeling good and strong so kept it going

Friday AM 5.5 miles very easy (8.15 min pace)

Very handy one with "the exile" this morning not too worried about pace and just tipped a along handy as anything

Saturday AM 9.5 miles easy (7.22 min pace)

Another day, another training partner. Spoiled for company this week managing to get 5 different training partners on 5 different days definitely making the 1st week back in the full swing of things.

A bit of juggling around this week so session later tonight and hopefully the wind will give me a bit of a break

Saturday PM

2 mile easy,
    1 mile jog bends/stride straights
    3x600, 3x200, 3x500, 3x200 w/ 90 sec jog between reps and 4 min between sets
    2 mile easy

Splits:
    600s: 1.56, 1.57, 1.57
    200s: 34, 33, 34
    500s: 1.34, 1.32, 1.33
    200s: 30.5, 31.2, 30.4

Down to the track after work for session. Wind was a little better than this morning but still bad enough so I said I would just give it a go and knew that the target times would probably be a little off.

The 600s were to be in or around 1.55 however I had the wind for 2/3 of the rep so I knew they were going to be a little slow, felt pretty controlled however.

The next 200s were mile pace and felt very controlled the long recoveries helped but kept the jog between reps healthy enough given the cold temps and the wind the last thing I wanted was to get cold standing around.

Next were the 500s at around 3k pace. I knew these were gonna be tough as I had head on wind in the 1st and last 100m so I knew I would be working, was hitting the 400m mark bang on time but really having to work into that wind in last 100m (probably too hard but c'est la vie)

Last set and we were back to 800m paced 200's to bring this weeks 800m paced work to a higher volume than I did in the whole of 2014 :D. Felt fairly relaxed throughout this although working the arms a little too hard.

Overall not the toughest session but a good one for getting in touch with paces and very happy with how it went, could very well be a middle distance athlete after all (atleast for the spring :p)

Sunday 10 miles easy (7.40 min pace)

Very handy run with new boardsie Gleedog around Carton house, kept it very handy. Enoyable run between new route and a catch up with an old college training partner it flew by.

All in all a very good 1st week back with my highest mileage week since roughly September. Just about string a few more weeks like this in coming into Feb and should be in good position for racing indoors

Monday AM 3 miles recovery (9.19 min pace)
    Monday PM Treatment

A day to recharge the batteries and get a bit of work done. While hips not a niggle the adductors are chronically tight so wanted to get them loosened out a bit especially with the faster stuff to come over the next few weeks

Tuesday AM

2.5 miles easy,
    Drills + strides
    400, 300, 200 w/5 min rec
    2.5 miles easy

Splits: 61.5, 46.5, 30.9

Have had a bit of a mental block on this session for the past 10 days and after much change of mind/ swapping days etc I finally got around to doing this one.

I was kinda disappointed to see windy conditions for this one, while I was focusing on effort in the session I rarely get to do these sprinter style fast sessions so I kinda would have liked to see what I could do time wise but I didn't worry too much about it.

Sluggish on the 400 the legs just took a while to get going. Struggled to hold form into the wind on the last 100m. By the end I got that burning of the chest you only get from the shorter races (a pain which I need to get more familiar with over the next few weeks before I start racing)

Not quite as recovered as I thought I would be given the length of the recovery. 300 and the legs were rubbery enough and I felt that 1st rep had done me in as I felt I was only able to maintain around 1500 effort, the watch told me otherwise though so I guess it was just down to the fact that the lactate build up was beginning to hurt.

200 was nearly automatic, been doing a far few of these over the last week or so that even though it was same effort it almost seemed like I could manage this rep on autopilot

Kinda weird coming away from a session with less than 1km worth of volume but definitely a good session in its own right and good one to get me out of my comfort zone

Would you do these more sprinter style session from a standing start, running start or the three point start? How much of a difference do you think it would make depending on which one you choose?

This one's for you Chivito too ;)

Would you do these more sprinter style session from a standing start, running start or the three point start? How much of a difference do you think it would make depending on which one you choose?

This one's for you Chivito too ;)

Personally I think it depends on type of runner you are.

I did these off a three point start because I wanted to work on a bit of explosive power also simply because I haven't been do the gym work I did last year.

If it just in relation to lactate build up and tolerance I would say that jog in start is fine.

For sprinters I would say 3 point starts would be preferred most of the time simply as a result of having to deal with blocks for every race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

That's what I like to see! Nice session L. Come back to this session in 2 weeks and I bet you'd chop the best part of a second of each of those reps. Assuming you're fresh and the conditions are similar etc etc.

And FWIW, I generally do three point starts for everything, unless I'm doing block work or the ground is slippy and I'm not wearing spikes.

That's what I like to see! Nice session L. Come back to this session in 2 weeks and I bet you'd chop the best part of a second of each of those reps. Assuming you're fresh and the conditions are similar etc etc.

Think I have a similar session off slightly shorter recoveries in about a month's time so will be an interesting comparison. Back to gym next week should help as well as an 800 and 1500 race each in the mid term before that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

So I'm going to play Devil's advocate here!!!!!!

What was the thinking behind that session? Looking at prescribed reps and recoveries I'm guessing it's a bench mark session. Something to compare against in a few weeks time! If that was the case it's a bit odd that the pace for all reps was basically identical! Looks like a one gear session. Maybe that's where you are at the moment and the gears will come over the coming weeks but for them to come there will have to be a bigger emphasis on shorter explosive reps 150-300 metres in my opinion.

Getting back to the original question of the thinking behind this session! I had assumed you were targeting 3k! I wonder is this the best type of bench mark for a 3k runner? I know you said it was a sprinter type session. No two ways about it. This is a 400/800 type bench mark session in my opinion. More speed based that aerobic and speed required for 3k! Would you agree or disagree?

So I'm going to play Devil's advocate here!!!!!!

What was the thinking behind that session? Looking at prescribed reps and recoveries I'm guessing it's a bench mark session. Something to compare against in a few weeks time! If that was the case it's a bit odd that the pace for all reps was basically identical! Looks like a one gear session. Maybe that's where you are at the moment and the gears will come over the coming weeks but for them to come there will have to be a bigger emphasis on shorter explosive reps 150-300 metres in my opinion.

Getting back to the original question of the thinking behind this session! I had assumed you were targeting 3k! I wonder is this the best type of bench mark for a 3k runner? I know you said it was a sprinter type session. No two ways about it. This is a 400/800 type bench mark session in my opinion. More speed based that aerobic and speed required for 3k! Would you agree or disagree?

Devils advocate? You? Never :D

Good spot on the paces, yes they were one paced and that pace is roughly 800m effort (maybe a shade under) ideally this was supposed to be a little bit progressive but not hugely and I didn't have in the legs. The plan itself has quite a bit more 800 paced 2s than I would be used to. This session was about flooding the legs with lactic and holding form and pace (effectively building up lactic tolerance which is something I have very little experience in over the last few years due to the nature of my training)

With regards 3k being the target - yes and no :D Main target is just to work on speed a bit more over shorter distances (800-3k) the reason I chose 3k as target race for nationals was simple - its the only one I stood a hope of not being blown out the back of and effectively being left to time trial on my own. Before than I will be doing a 1500 and 800 and going well then nationals will be on the card (realistically feel I need to be in about sub 9.05 shape). Most of the training is however based around a 1500 plan.

Effectively these 2 months are simply working on area's of weakness and tackling improved fitness from a different angle before focusing on 5k/10k for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

What's your weekly mileage at the minute bud? I think I need a few explosive 100-200 sessions as my speed is zapped over all the slow running. Im going to hang around with 70 mpw for a few weeks and try a few sessions down on the TAC track after the 31st ;) Between the layers and the cravel track here I'm not able to get my bearrings.

Ok so maybe 3k isn't the sole focus. Maybe fair to say 1500/3000? I'm still think there is a bit of a disconnect between that session and your goals. No doubt it will have some benefits but in the grand scheme I think it has limitations. As an example one of seb coes benchmark sessions would have been reps of 200s but they be high in volume 8-10. Similarly I remember watching Niall Briton doing a session of 400s finishing off with 200s and 150s. I can't remeber the exact number of reps. In my mind that's what I thought you'd be at yourself.

I know there is more than one way to skin a cat and I'm not been argumentative for the sake of it. Myself and TBB made a pact a while ago to question people's training if we could in the hope we'd get constructive comments on our own.

I welcome the discussion that is what these logs is all about otherwise they just become about back slapping and ego stroking.

In terms of middle distance training obvious I wouldn't have the same background as yourself growing up so its definitely open to interpretation from you and others.

In terms of bench mark sessions these would not be the aim looking at the program there seems to be 3 particular 1500 specific sessions through the weeks

3x(500, 1 min jog, 300 at 1500 pace)
    3x(600, 1 min jog, 200 at 1500 pace)
    3x800 @ 1500 pace

The references you made regarding Coe and Bruton are interesting alright. There are a number of sessions would be of the same vein as the latter you described and in terms of Coe's high volume approach in the past when I have pursued this style of running I often found that I either recovered to quickly to make these race specific or I upped the pace or reduce the recoveries to the point where it was not sustainable for any duration without injury or niggle ensuing. Most likely it could have been a case that I was not being sensible about the training at the time but this is why this plan appealed to me. The session you mentioned is simply one of 2 under distance specific sessions and by no means the primary sessions of the plan.

With this session I found it longer sustained distances more useful for getting the body to maintain paces while lactate build up overloaded and caused fatigue (well Hydrogen ions but you know what I mean)

Overall my strength is definitely my aerobic base but I am interested to see where a little bit of focus on my weaknesses but I would be lying if I aid I had all the answers these 2 months are very much un chartered territory in that regard.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    What's your weekly mileage at the minute bud? I think I need a few explosive 100-200 sessions as my speed is zapped over all the slow running. Im going to hang around with 70 mpw for a few weeks and try a few sessions down on the TAC track after the 31st ;) Between the layers and the cravel track here I'm not able to get my bearrings.

Mileage last week was around 75, to be honest I am not really tracking it that closely I am just running frequently and letting the training excel do the counting for me and what ever comes out at the end of the week well and good.

Loss of speed? Didn't I see you bust out a 60 sec 400 after a 13 mile run? Would say the speed hasn't gone away and you will surprise yourself with how quickly turnover can be brushed up if you have a good base (and a few strides after easy running)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I agree with TRR in that I would see that session as a 400/800 session, however even though those events are not what you're aiming for, I think touching on those paces semi-regularly is important for all types of runners. AFAIK Alberto Salazar's group do sets of 100m regularly throughout the season to work on speed, for example.

On the point that you ended up running each of the reps at roughly the same pace, I would say is down to not having done this type of session in while, more than the design of the session itself. As I said already, if you repeated the session in a couple of weeks, I bet you'd find it much easier to pick up the speed on the 300m and 200m reps.

However, if you are interested in working on pure speed and/or acceleration, I would be more inclined to go shorter in the rep distance; 30-60m IMO. I realise Ecoli that you know all this stuff already but I'll leave it here anyway as a lot of people read your log and it might be of benefit to some of them.

I would completely agree with you guys with regards this being a 400/800 session there is no doubt about it. I do see the merit in doing the odd under and over distance session as well for certain.

In terms of pure speed I don't plan on doing much of this as I am trying to focus on sustaining speeds I already have (2.02-2.04 is about as fast as I am hoping to run with racing 800)

I will however be bringing back in the gym work as well as the 10m resistant sprints (similar to sleds style stuff) as a way to focus on explosive power

Tuesday PM 5.5 miles easy (7.23 min pace)

Legs felt a bit crap on this run just as a result of the session earlier but overall actually felt pretty good kept it nice and handy in the cold temps though. Think I got luck as by the time I got out for this run the snow was gone and there were very few icy patches

Wednesday AM 10 miles easy (7.33 min pace)

Continued my weekly tourist run, not quite to the Lemon levels but getting to run in new places atleast once a week. This time it was seanmoore park with quirky and dublinrunner. A nice handy one as the legs still fairly heavy from yesterdays session. Was enjoyable and a nice little hidden gem that I had never ventured near (bar the odd track race at Irishtown)

• Advertisement

In terms of bench mark sessions these would not be the aim looking at the program there seems to be 3 particular 1500 specific sessions through the weeks

3x(500, 1 min jog, 300 at 1500 pace)
    3x(600, 1 min jog, 200 at 1500 pace)
    3x800 @ 1500 pace

Is this from a Magness programme? I get they're not the main sessions but just haven't come across these type of sessions myself in the past so was interested.

I agree with TRR in that I would see that session as a 400/800 session, however even though those events are not what you're aiming for, I think touching on those paces semi-regularly is important for all types of runners. AFAIK Alberto Salazar's group do sets of 100m regularly throughout the season to work on speed, for example.

Wouldn't disagree with you but I'd be surprised if the length of recoveries for these sets of 100s were very more than a minute and I'd expect the volume of them to be quite high 10+. If you look at most marathon runners you will see they talk about throwing in "some strides", that's what road runners refer to sets of 100 metres as!

Advertisement