Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of power

Options
  • 12-06-2009 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I'll keep this simple, I got banned from AH
    Hi Butterfly baby,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Constant trolling all bloody day.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 7 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

So I complained to said forum moderator because to be honest I've been getting trolled to **** myself for the last two days and half that trolling was by people who were bringing things from one thread onto another thread and I'll also freely admit my complaint was not in any way polite either but (and this is the important part) my complaint was over PM, even though I thought it was an unfair ban I respected that ban and did nothing further on AH but because said moderator didn't like my complaint I got this
    Hi Butterfly baby,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

2 Month(s)

for the following reason:

Personal abuse via PM. Get over it keyboard warrior.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 2 Month(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

Now it strikes me that as long as I followed the rules of the ban and didn't go near AH then the only reason I was banned for a further extended period was because he was making it personal. If he wanted to make it personal because of my PM then all he'd have to do is speak to an SMOD and get me site banned but he didn't, instead he chose the "I'll show her whos boss" route. How immature is that? like seriously WTF is the criteria to become a mod on here? to have the emotional maturity of a 2 year old? I thought we left all that **** back in the school yard?

I'm not contesting the ban here (although I do believe it had a lot to do with nepitism and friendships than anything I actually did), I don't really care because to be honest posting on AH is akin to being rectally probed because everything you say is dicceted (sp?) and thrown in your face and the slightest flaw becomes fodder so it's a pack of **** I'm not really interested in interacting with (actually do you ever notice they are always guys? all the trolls and pendants are guys? all the time....why is that? is it another form of "Penis extention" where there's social gratification from pointing out something so you can get thanked and thus feel somewhat emasculated?) but I digress....my point is I was banned, I complained but kept it to PM and respected the terms of the ban, said mod didn't like my complaint so banned me further even though my complaint was no longer a part of the forum I was banned from. What's up with that?

Oh feel free to troll, it's expected on Feedback at this point as are cat and picard facepalm pics and lots of "STFU" and "GTFO" and just incase I missed it "Yore ma"....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Butterfly baby

Wow...I just seen what earned me the original ban

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055588837&page=9

Now tell me how thats mature because it seems to me that it was an abitary abuse of power. "I can ban thus I will ban"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You sent an abusive PM to a moderator. This is not wise. Learn this lesson.

If you had instead sent them an apology and said you'll behave in future then they'd probably have reduced your ban rather than octupling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'll keep this simple, I got banned from AH

So I complained to said forum moderator because to be honest I've been getting trolled to **** myself for the last two days and half that trolling was by people who were bringing things from one thread onto another thread and I'll also freely admit my complaint was not in any way polite either but (and this is the important part) my complaint was over PM, even though I thought it was an unfair ban I respected that ban and did nothing further on AH but because said moderator didn't like my complaint I got this

Now it strikes me that as long as I followed the rules of the ban and didn't go near AH then the only reason I was banned for a further extended period was because he was making it personal. If he wanted to make it personal because of my PM then all he'd have to do is speak to an SMOD and get me site banned but he didn't, instead he chose the "I'll show her whos boss" route. How immature is that? like seriously WTF is the criteria to become a mod on here? to have the emotional maturity of a 2 year old? I thought we left all that **** back in the school yard?

I'm not contesting the ban here (although I do believe it had a lot to do with nepitism and friendships than anything I actually did), I don't really care because to be honest posting on AH is akin to being rectally probed because everything you say is dicceted (sp?) and thrown in your face and the slightest flaw becomes fodder so it's a pack of **** I'm not really interested in interacting with (actually do you ever notice they are always guys? all the trolls and pendants are guys? all the time....why is that? is it another form of "Penis extention" where there's social gratification from pointing out something so you can get thanked and thus feel somewhat emasculated?) but I digress....my point is I was banned, I complained but kept it to PM and respected the terms of the ban, said mod didn't like my complaint so banned me further even though my complaint was no longer a part of the forum I was banned from. What's up with that?

Oh feel free to troll, it's expected on Feedback at this point as are cat and picard facepalm pics and lots of "STFU" and "GTFO" and just incase I missed it "Yore ma"....

sorry, can you just clarify exactly what the issue is?

sorry, can you just clarify exactly what the issue is?

No prob, my issue is I got a ban, I complained about the ban (as I said in not a nice manner so I accept that, I could have been politer but I admit I wasn't) but my complaint was over PM and no longer had anything to do with the forum BUT because of my complaint my ban was extended so that's an abuse of power and actually if you look at the link I posted in my second post can you tell me why I got that ban in the first place? I mean honestly read the thread...what did I say to warrent a ban?

Zillah wrote: »
    You sent an abusive PM to a moderator. This is not wise. Learn this lesson.

Yes I did, as I've admitted, but since it's PM and not on the forum why should he extend the ban on the forum? I mean that's like saying "Well **** her, I show her what happens when you piss me off" and still the fact remains that I was banned for 7 days (Although I'd love to hear why since I did nothing to break rules) and then over PM contacted the mod that banned me and got the ban extended but why extended it? I was banned for 7 days therefor I could no longer post on AH but yet my ban from AH was extended because of something that had no relation AH at all therefore my extended ban is wrong. Ban me from the site for abusing a mod and I'll say fair enough but to abitarly ban me from forums like that is just being a power hungry ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Yes I did, as I've admitted, but since it's PM and not on the forum why should he extend the ban on the forum?

Because of this:

Seems clear enough, you should have read the entire ban PM in the 1st place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If you were abusive in response to the ban message, despite the explicit warning that your band would be extended, then I'm afraid the only recourse you've got is to put it down as experience and learn from your mistakes. Because you threw whatever recourse you've had from the initial ban straight out the window.

Because of this:

Seems clear enough, you should have read the entire ban PM in the 1st place.

Since you are so good at copy and paste show me why I was banned in the first place, tell me how I earned the ban.

If you were abusive in response to the ban message, despite the explicit warning that your band would be extended, then I'm afraid the only recourse you've got is to put it down as experience and learn from your mistakes. Because you threw whatever recourse you've had from the initial ban straight out the window.

So the rule is "I'm a moderator and I say 1 + 1 = 4"? My initial ban was wrong because I broke no rules so any subsequent actions in relation to it are moot since it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Still waiting, what did I do to earn the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Since you are so good at copy and paste show me why I was banned in the first place, tell me how I earned the ban.

I don't moderate AH, I haven't posted there in years, and I have no knowledge of the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm not contesting the ban here
    my point is I was banned, I complained but kept it to PM and respected the terms of the ban, said mod didn't like my complaint so banned me further even though my complaint was no longer a part of the forum I was banned from. What's up with that?

<people point out whats up with that>
    show me why I was banned in the first place, tell me how I earned the ban.
    My initial ban was wrong because <snip>

I thought you weren't contesting the ban, and that your query was regarding the extension thereof....a query which has been clearly answered by people pointing out the content of the ban-message that you (obviously) overlooked.

I don't moderate AH, I haven't posted there in years, and I have no knowledge of the charter.

Well then since this is a thread about AH how are you qualifed to reply? actually why did you reply since you have just admitted that you have no knowledge of the subject so, therefor, must have replied to a subject you freely admit to having no knowledge of just to troll my thread? feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You should post in Helpdesk. Though, in another way, you shouldnt.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

any subsequent actions in relation to it are moot

Any subsequent actions most certainly are not moot, and if you want to delude yourself into believing that, then I think you'll have a pretty hard time on boards.

Put it this way... If you've just been arrested under suspicion of a minor crime by the guards, and you turn around and punch the guard in the face, it becomes a very serious offense. Now, you may or may not have been guilty of the initial crime you were being arrested for, but once you've gone and assaulted the guard, you've just landed yourself in a world of ****.

Learn from your mistake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yes I did, as I've admitted, but since it's PM and not on the forum why should he extend the ban on the forum? I mean that's like saying "Well **** her, I show her what happens when you piss me off" and still the fact remains that I was banned for 7 days (Although I'd love to hear why since I did nothing to break rules) and then over PM contacted the mod that banned me and got the ban extended but why extended it? I was banned for 7 days therefor I could no longer post on AH but yet my ban from AH was extended because of something that had no relation AH at all therefore my extended ban is wrong. Ban me from the site for abusing a mod and I'll say fair enough but to abitarly ban me from forums like that is just being a power hungry ****!

Go back up to your first post and read what you posted again.
    In case it's not clear, let me quote the piece from the PM you received from the Mod informing you of your ban.

I think the above explains everything clearly.
    Every Mod on this site has the right to extend a ban if the receive an abusive PM. It is one of the rules on this site.

It has nothing to do with being power hungry and more to do with not having to put up with crap from people who do not know how to behave themselves in polite society.
    Respect others and treat them how you would like to be treated yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement