Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstalling windows xp problem

• 12-06-2009 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

After many months of a slow laptop pissing me off I decided to take action. I doubled its ram and bought an external hd to boost storage. However I was still not satisfied and thought about doing a clean install of windows xp. One problem though: I have no windows cd. I searched on google and found out that retailers, in an effort to save money, will just place an image of the installation cd on your hard drive.

After backing up my important data I went to the "i386" folder and opened "winnt32.exe" like I was shown but I was told my product key was invalid after i entered it. My copy of windows is genuine. I didnt procure it by naughty means or anything. Another quick google told me changing some line of numbers in the "setupp.ini" file in the i386 folder would fix it but I didnt want to go messing around in system files without knowing what i was doing.

I dont even care what I delete in windows cos ive all my important stuff backed up and Ive an ubuntu cd on the way (i just want to keep windows for games and some other stuff) with a view to setting up a dual boot system.

So, short of buying a new copy of winxp, what do you guys suggest i do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What type of laptop is it? Usually there is a hidden partition containing the install files. You usually access it pressing a key at startup. You should not have to manually run files in the i386 folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I'm using a kind of old iqon laptop. its about 3 years old now and I havent the money to replace it so this is why im reinstalling windows to clear the years of crap i cant get rid of manually.

No hidden partitions according to paragon hard disk manager.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the original copy of windows is still running on your PC magic jelly bean keyfinder will recover your existing key

alternatively if you have a complete backup then try restoring c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl it contains the activation of windows against your hardware

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

as its a big system builder its possible that they pumped a VL version of XP onto the HDD as a way of avoiding having to indivually install each system.
    your key may be invalid as its OEM but you are trying to use it on a VL version of the software.

you should hvae received a recovery cd, xp install cd or had a hidden partition.
    if you contact the manfucaturers they may supply a cd but it is unlikely.

your best bet is to get a cd from a friend and install using that (version should match your COA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

get a copy of xp sp3. that doesn't need the cd key to be entered until after the install. the cd key on the COA should let you activate it but you have 30 days grace period anyway.

Made a bit of a booboo when installing ubuntu. Tried to install it alongside windows and use the loader to choose which OS i wanted at startup but instead I ended up deleting windows outright. So I guess I'm stuck with ubuntu for a while until i can get my hands on a new windows cd. Could be worse though, I backed up all my data so no big loss. Just the loss of windows. Which isnt all that bad given that ubuntus a friggin dream to use. Just cant play any games :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

download the new windows 7 and install that ....... you will get a liscence key to get you by for a while .....that will give you time to save for a full key upon its release in october ..... and you can play games again !

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

what vesion of xp was it?

SP3

Windows 7? I didn't know you could download that yet. Is it like a beta or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

SP3

Windows 7? I didn't know you could download that yet. Is it like a beta or something?

yeah pretty much , its very stable though , have a look on the microsoft website for the download

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

no is it windows XP Home edition, Media center or Pro
    I had awful problems reinstalling my xp MC. Same problem. It was saying my product key was invalid. Found out i was using the wrong oem disc as media center was never a retail release. I had to track down an image for an acer specific insatlation disc in the end and it worked grand.
    Its just your prolem sounds very similar

Advertisement