Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC in straffan wood Maynooth

• 12-06-2009 6:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ordered my NTL broadband last week. It was due to be installed Wednesday but no one arrived. I emailed customer care and they replied this morning saying that NTL broadband is not available in the estate. I am sure i have seen UPC vans in the estate before. Does anyone on boards have NTL in this estate?

M5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Maybe cable TV is available, but not broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

JDxtra wrote: »
    Maybe cable TV is available, but not broadband?

I'm only interested in the broadband. Would be very surprised if its not available in a 3 year old estate TBH. The UPC contact was in India hence my doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

M5 wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if its not available in a 3 year old estate TBH. The UPC contact was in India hence my doubt

UPC broadband is not available in a lot of areas that have UPC cable TV. The age of the estate is irrelevant as is the location of the customer service contact.

jor el wrote: »
    UPC broadband is not available in a lot of areas that have UPC cable TV. The age of the estate is irrelevant as is the location of the customer service contact.

They said no TV or broadband. Maynooth has NTL broadband in pretty much all of the estates AFIK that's why i am skeptical. May well be an exclusivity contract signed by the developer with that Envi crew that is stopping NTL though

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

I have same problem --> no internet access

as to NTL I have called them yesterday and I was told that only TV is available, digiweb not available as the node can't be seen from our estate.

I was really sure that smart will be the one we can get as they bought out the old provider in this area that was E-NVI but they told me they can't connect us even tho we are 'smart ready'

my friends got internet from 3 mobile but they told me that internet gaming is not possible just browsing web pages.

This is really anoying, if anyone has any form of internet access in this area that is fair in speed and ping please let me know.

• Advertisement

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    I have same problem --> no internet access

as to NTL I have called them yesterday and I was told that only TV is available, digiweb not available as the node can't be seen from our estate.

I was really sure that smart will be the one we can get as they bought out the old provider in this area that was E-NVI but they told me they can't connect us even tho we are 'smart ready'

my friends got internet from 3 mobile but they told me that internet gaming is not possible just browsing web pages.

This is really anoying, if anyone has any form of internet access in this area that is fair in speed and ping please let me know.

The estate has been left in limbo after the envi takeover. Bit of a shambles really. I rang smart as well and they are having "equipment issues" in the estate and have no idea when it will be fixed.... I ordered BT option 3 ADSL, not as good as the NTL by any means but fingers crossed the exchange will be upgraded to 24meg soon, although Maynooth was quite late getting broadband in the first place so i wont hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

but for BT ADSL you need line from eircom right? so what is the total cost?

€56 pm all in, 122 for the first time line connection with eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

Apologies for dragging up this 6 month old thread.

Same situation, just moved into Straffan Wood, called NTL, engineer came out tested line and informed me no NTL.

Does anyone have any further info on this? Will there ever be cable service in the area? Called Smart and they do not believe they will be offering service any time soon.

Also, wireless any recommendation IrishBroadband vs. DigiWeb, what is signal like?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 deletebert

in summary it appears:
    Perhaps the next step is that Digiweb will take control of things and deliver services over the cable which is installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kasza

I have the IrishBroadband but would not recommend it to anybody. During the evening times everything slows down and sometimes it is nearly impossible to open a website. As far as I know there is no good broadband provider in the estate.

It looks like somebody has been working on the TV cable connection in the estate as all the analog TV channels are gone. I just to have ~15 channels on the existing cable connection but now all them are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 in_the_dark

I've heard that there's a new company offering a television package on this estate, can anyone remember the contact details as I missed the representative's call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I've heard that there's a new company offering a television package on this estate, can anyone remember the contact details as I missed the representative's call?

This thread is over a year old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement