Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Renewal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is there not a surrender to the Gardaí option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is there not a surrender to the Gardaí option?
    Yes you can give firearms to the Gardai for destruction. I just had the impression the OP wasn't giving it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

hi folks

can you hand the gun in at the garda station?

when filling in the form dose it have to be done in at the station in front of the garda?

or can ia just hand it in to the garda with out having to fill any forms in?

thank you
    snowman6416

hi folks

can you hand the gun in at the garda station?

when filling in the form dose it have to be done in at the station in front of the garda?

or can ia just hand it in to the garda with out having to fill any forms in?

thank you
    snowman6416
    Ask at your Garda station. Each one has it's own peculiarities and are best placed to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

having talked to a bunch of dealers and also multiple gardai, the feeling that I get is that garda stations wil not take your firearms but will instruct you to go to a dealer. One prominent dealer (posted somewhere on this form) has aleady stated that he will require €200 for storage and €50 for disposal. Talk about getting blood from a stone, but not surprsing really.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement

There will be a lot of farmers that will be getting rid of their guns. I don't think the Gardaí can insist that you can only surrender to dealers.

having talked to a bunch of dealers and also multiple gardai, the feeling that I get is that garda stations wil not take your firearms but will instruct you to go to a dealer. One prominent dealer (posted somewhere on this form) has aleady stated that he will require €200 for storage and €50 for disposal. Talk about getting blood from a stone, but not surprsing really.
    I think we'll find that a lot of stations will take that view. To be fair many of them don't have any form of secure storage for firearms, so all they'd be doing is running from the station to the local dealer all day long.

Though I think the extra fiver on the licence for snowman is not really going to break the bank when getting rid of the thing is probably going to cost more.

There will be a lot of farmers that will be getting rid of their guns. I don't think the Gardaí can insist that you can only surrender to dealers.
    Section 6 of the firearms act seems to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JG Murphy

I have spoken to my local dealer who said he is not interested in accepting firearms for destruction. He has already had over 50 calls from farmers looking to get rid of firerarms they do not want to licence.

He is of the opinion that the Gardai will need to deal with the issue of people simply giving up the sport.

JG Murphy wrote: »
    I have spoken to my local dealer who said he is not interested in accepting firearms for destruction. He has already had over 50 calls from farmers looking to get rid of firerarms they do not want to licence.

He is of the opinion that the Gardai will need to deal with the issue of people simply giving up the sport.
    I can see the dealer's point. They don't want to be stuck with a load of junk that they won't be able to sell, will take enormous amounts of paperwork just to keep them, will take up a huge amount of room in their safe and which will prove incredibly difficult to get destroyed properly to the satisfaction of the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Surely if someone doesn't licence a firearm the Gardai would have to "seize" said firearm and then it would be up to them to store it etc?

Or does Section 6 cover this scenario?

Surely if someone doesn't licence a firearm the Gardai would have to "seize" said firearm and then it would be up to them to store it etc?

Or does Section 6 cover this scenario?
    It pretty much does, or at least where a licence is revoked (which is essentially the same thing).

"the person shall forthwith deliver the firearm and ammunition (if any) to the Superintendent of the district in which the person resides"

Superintendent acquires large collection of old single barrell shotguns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I see a business opertunity opening up for a guy with an angle grinder and or gas torch....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or a gun dealer with really good cop on and knowledge of antique and valueable SXS,etc being handed in because they are "old and not worth much".I shudder to think what lovely and historic pieces will be lost and destroyed by ignorance and greed or penny pinching.:(

If I was a gun dealer,I would be advertising "free apprasials of your gun" and making contact with international auction houses for a possible shipment of unique "Irish guns".[Anyone does this, my cut is 5% advisory fee of total sales..:D]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Or a gun dealer with really good cop on and knowledge of antique and valueable SXS,etc being handed in because they are "old and not worth much".I shudder to think what lovely and historic pieces will be lost and destroyed by ignorance and greed or penny pinching.:(

If I was a gun dealer,I would be advertising "free apprasials of your gun" and making contact with international auction houses for a possible shipment of unique "Irish guns".[Anyone does this, my cut is 5% advisory fee of total sales..:D]
    Dream on ;)

What you'll actually get is a bunch of single barrell Brownings with barrells nearly rusted through and pieces of string holding the fore end on, a mountain of paperwork, a permanently ignored call in to the proper authorities to confirm destruction and a bulging safe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

rrpc wrote: »
    Dream on ;)

What you'll actually get is a bunch of single barrell Brownings with barrells nearly rusted through and pieces of string holding the fore end on, a mountain of paperwork, a permanently ignored call in to the proper authorities to confirm destruction and a bulging safe :(

And then the law will complain that the RFD is holding too many firearms.

Jonty wrote: »
    And then the law will complain that the RFD is holding too many firearms.
    +1 :D

And I forgot to mention that none of the serial numbers will match the pulse records :eek:

But yeah, absolutely a great business proposition :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Oh ye of little faith. The same happened in the UK post Hungerford.If it hadn't been for Sir Geffory Bothryood deceased [sic],many fine examples of unique Engilsh SXS would have been scrapped.He wrote a few exellent articles on SXS that he had been asked to appraise in the now defunct GUNS REVIEW magazine.He started the "adopt a SXS " campain that saved many more
    A good few were tatty old yokes all right,but what made them valuable was their gunsmith names,their mechanisms,or their historical context.Please dont tell me that there isnt any of those types of guns knocking around??
    As a gun dealer,it doesnt mean that you have to buy up every piece of junk that shows up in your shop.You are supposed to know somthing about guns and that includes old ones as well and their value.Not just flogging off new stuff to every mug...er customer that darkens your doors.

It is a terrible thing with us Irish..We dont appreciate enough items and structures of our past.We always want to get rid of anything that might have a valuable historical past.Because it is old or out of date,or was somhow connected to "the Ascendeny or the British:rolleyes:".And then somone tells how valueable or unique it was.We lament for evermore the lost treasure.

EG ...How many of you know that the Irish army in "the Emergency" were issued Lugers as a secondary service weapon??That would make Ireland the fourth country in Europe to have had the Luger as a service pistol on WW2[Germany,Holland ,Switzerland,Ireland].
    Where could you see one of these in Ireland today? Nowhere! They were all flogged off to a collector in Texas,who became a multi millionare from this deal.
    Anyone intrested in where they came from?Personal souviners of 1916 when Irish regiments clashed with the German Marines at the 2nd battle of the Marne,majority of them were the so called Navy model.A lot of those were used in the birth our nation and the civil war.Yet there isnt one ASFIK on display in any of our museums because our govt flogged them of for scrap value.:(
    Years ago,poking around a "scrap pile" in a gun shop.I found two beauties that had I the cash I would have bought straightaway.One was a lovely little 20 GA Browning Semi auto with a straight English stock,which is very unique and quite a collectors piece,and a lovely little "Rook Rifle"made by Cogswell&Harrision,but had been converted to 410 from a .20 cal somthing.Thus destroying its value.

So this is all I am saying folks.Dont be in a tearing rush to dismiss every"aul farmers shotgun" as worthless.There might be a very unique name,action or historical item under there.We have lost too much here in Ireland in firearms over the years,we are about to lose more again,so lets be sure we check the muck pile for the odd diamond or two before we dump everything inthe smelter.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SIG

I received my licence extension form on the 4th Aug. The form states that you must apply for a new licence 3 months or more before the extended licence date. The extended date was 31/10/09. Therefore my application even made on the 5th Aug would be deemed outside the 3 month rule. Any ideas whats going on. I believe that the Minister is out to reduce the licenced forearms to less than half of heretofore. Ireland is a country of extremes, little regulation then crazy massive rules. This is what has destroyed our economy - stupid law makers. Common sense is very rare these days!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

SIG wrote: »
    I received my licence extension form on the 4th Aug. The form states that you must apply for a new licence 3 months or more before the extended licence date. The extended date was 31/10/09. Therefore my application even made on the 5th Aug would be deemed outside the 3 month rule. Any ideas whats going on. I believe that the Minister is out to reduce the licenced forearms to less than half of heretofore. Ireland is a country of extremes, little regulation then crazy massive rules. This is what has destroyed our economy - stupid law makers. Common sense is very rare these days!:mad:

It says up to three months before. As in, they don't want you to apply before then, so within three months is fine. Hopefully it'll all get processed nice and quickly without any silly hitches, but you're perfectly fine.

• Advertisement

It says up to three months before. As in, they don't want you to apply before then, so within three months is fine. Hopefully it'll all get processed nice and quickly without any silly hitches, but you're perfectly fine.
    +1 on what IWM said

Kind of a waste of a good rant there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Sparks wrote: »
    Not sure what section 32 that is Tony, but here's what I think you're talking about, from the current section 3 of the firearms act:

And if that's what you're talking about, then yes, it's possible you could have an overlap there.
    At which point, you either get a letter from the local super saying you're authorised to have the firearm, or you check it into the local RFD until the paperwork clears...

(you don't have to reapply every three years though, it's a renewal same as normal except for this year, if the bill passes as is and on time. But that won't help much with the example you're thinking of).
    (you don't have to reapply every three years though, it's a renewal same as normal except for this year.

renewing the license in 3 years, is the license waiting at the station then. has the new application form to be dropped.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SIG viewpost.gif
    I received my licence extension form on the 4th Aug. The form states that you must apply for a new licence 3 months or more before the extended licence date. The extended date was 31/10/09. Therefore my application even made on the 5th Aug would be deemed outside the 3 month rule. Any ideas whats going on. I believe that the Minister is out to reduce the licenced forearms to less than half of heretofore. Ireland is a country of extremes, little regulation then crazy massive rules. This is what has destroyed our economy - stupid law makers. Common sense is very rare these days!mad.gif

up to 3 month prior to the date it expires. looks like clerical error again:(

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    renewing the license in 3 years, is the license waiting at the station then. has the new application form to be dropped.
    As far as I can tell, the FCA1 form has to be filled in every three years.
    up to 3 month prior to the date it expires. looks like clerical error again:(
    I think he misread the letter. Everyone's says up to three months, not three months or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

For anyone that has got dates beyond the end of October 2009 it is simple enough but for those that have to renew by the end of October it is impossible for us, myself included to comply with what it Say's on the extension.

Up to three months prior to the expiry date, which means I would have had to put my documentation in on the first of August 2009, I did not receive the extensions until the 4th and the FCA1 form was not available on the first of August, impossible.

From what I have been told the FCA1 WILL have to be completed every three years, there will no longer be renewals.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »
    For anyone that has got dates beyond the end of October 2009 it is simple enough but for those that have to renew by the end of October it is impossible for us, myself included to comply with what it Say's on the extension.

Up to three months prior to the expiry date, which means I would have had to put my documentation in on the first of August 2009, I did not receive the extensions until the 4th and the FCA1 form was not available on the first of August, impossible.
    Only if you read 'up to' as meaning greater than or equal to three months as opposed to less than or equal to three months.

Personally I'd go with less than or equal to, as otherwise you could apply for your renewal three years before it ran out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

rrpc wrote: »
    Only if you read 'up to' as meaning greater than or equal to three months as opposed to less than or equal to three months.

Personally I'd go with less than or equal to, as otherwise you could apply for your renewal three years before it ran out. :D

all of the three months, includes up to last day?. its not clear for anyone who's not in a club:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Am i right in thinking many firearm owners who have oct extension are still waiting to hear more from garda with regards to details of new licencing before they submit their applications?

Indeed they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

ranger4 wrote: »
    Am i right in thinking many firearm owners who have oct extension are still waiting to hear more from garda with regards to details of new licencing before they submit their applications?

Indeed they are.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

G17 wrote: »
    +1

would most owners waiting for more info before they apply be holders of restricted firearms?

Advertisement