Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Renewal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Probably not ranger. Right now, just about everyone's waiting for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As the first month of the three month application period generously allocated to a great many firearm owners comes to a close, the Commissioner still hasn't produced his guidelines (or had them presented to him for rubberstamping, I suspect), there's talk of the Restricted Firearms SI being 'revised' (:rolleyes:), and the group representing the majority of firearms owners is only now apparently coming to the realisation that something has changed and their membership isn't happy with it.
    Going by the accounts here, local Gardai are reluctant to accept applications, and those that do are telling the applicant that it's going on file until they get some training and guidance from on high on how to deal with all this. Are there even hard copy versions of FCA1 available in Garda Stations yet, or are people still expected to bring in their own downloaded copies?

The word 'shambles' is looking more and more appropriate with every passing day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Rovi wrote: »
    As the first month of the three month application period generously allocated to a great many firearm owners comes to a close, the Commissioner still hasn't produced his guidelines (or had them presented to him for rubberstamping, I suspect), there's talk of the Restricted Firearms SI being 'revised' (:rolleyes:), and the group representing the majority of firearms owners is only now apparently coming to the realisation that something has changed and their membership isn't happy with it.
    Going by the accounts here, local Gardai are reluctant to accept applications, and those that do are telling the applicant that it's going on file until they get some training and guidance from on high on how to deal with all this. Are there even hard copy versions of FCA1 available in Garda Stations yet, or are people still expected to bring in their own downloaded copies?

The word 'shambles' is looking more and more appropriate with every passing day.

Just got off the phone with a station down here that are not accepting applications at the moment .
    They are saying they can't accept them because they havn't recieved the guidelines yet but if they don't get them by the weekend they will start to take applications next monday but they may be left on the desk till guidelines appear.
    Other stations in the area are taking applications no bother so what's goin on are we back to the old story that it's going to depend on the area you live in and what barracks you go to and how sound the fo is if you get a licence or not ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Rovi wrote: »

You're being generous there.

A project like this could have been done better by a bunch of transition year students as an assignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

I was on to the FPU again.
    Their unofficial advice is still to hold off until September when they hope to have the guidelines too.

It really is that bad when you have basically, every single person in the chain totally in the dark, waiting for a guideline booklet which may or may not clarify everyone's position.

I do get the impression though after talking to several Gardaí, that common sense will prevail when dealing with genuine sporting shooters. This is a complete redesign of the licensing procedure so it will require patience on all sides, even though I admit that mine is dwindling at the start of subsequent weeks..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cue another round of extended extensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Cue another round of extended extensions.

It would be the simplest way out of the mess. People waited for the forms to come out, they did, along with a mess of questions about them. The various publications followed and yet more questions, I get the feeling the guidelines will bring up yet more, so an extended extension for all would be absolutely a good idea IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

hi folks :)

dose any one no how to go about getting rid of the fire arm,
    what is the correct steps to be taken for to do this as is destroying it, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

I presume its a licenced firearm your dealing with?
    If it is, then take it to your nearest firearms dealer and hand it in.
    The dealer will give you a written form, declaring the firearm has been handed in.
    Bring this form to your local Garda station and hand it in.
    I presume its a licenced firearm your dealing with?

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If it is, then take it to your nearest firearms dealer and hand it in.
    I have tried that approach in the past and was refused. They are only interested if you are buying another firearm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

We had the same situation with one of our members wanting to dispose of his firearm, he brought it to a local firearms dealer and was told if stored it would cost 100 euro a month or 80m euro to have it destroyed.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I would complete the FAC2 form cancelling the cert and hand it into the Gardai at the same time and leave them worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The commissioners guidelines page 40 state that you can hand it in to the Gardai with a letter confirming the owners consent for disposal /distruction/sale.

I would draft the letter and then hand it in with a copy of the commissioners guidelines if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd just add one note to the hand-it-in-to-the-Gardai idea and that's to keep a record of the handover. Photocopies of the FCA2, the letter authorising destruction of the firearm, the receipt note from the Gardai, and so on.
    And keep that in your permanent records.
    A few years ago, someone handed in a firearm to the Gardai under McDowell's amnesty; it wasn't properly disposed of and was later used in a robbery. If that happened with your firearm, you'd want that permanent record to cover your posterior...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

thanks Keelan.

and to others for your reply,

thats what im worried about if i handed it in that it may be used in my name or sold on and it would all come back to,

so who is the best to hand it in to, would it be the garda or the firearm dearler, so that it is problerly disposed off,

and what is the cost of for deposing of it, if you were to hand it into a firearm dealer or garda,
    when handing in what is the proper paper work that i should be given, when handing it in,

thank you again
    snowman6416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DonalP

I applied about a month ago and still no contact, the local lads even came up to check out my locker. Has anybody out there got hold of their new licence yet. I have a sweet brand new 686 waiting to be picked up from the dealer and I can't get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

A month isn't that long. You're supposed to get a decision after three months at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BornToKill wrote: »
    A month isn't that long. You're supposed to get a decision after three months at the latest.
    These noobs and their impatience :rolleyes:

When I were a lad, a chap could wait years for a licence and not complain.

Young people today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

rrpc wrote: »
    These noobs and their impatience :rolleyes:

When I were a lad, a chap could wait years for a licence and not complain.

Young people today :D

are you after getting a job as PR officer for the gardai by any chance .

jwshooter wrote: »
    are you after getting a job as PR officer for the gardai by any chance .
    Why is there one going? :D

There's a recession on you know :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Sorry if this has already been posted but would anyone mind posting up what you put on your accompanying letter as the reasons for requiring a centrefire pistol?

Pretty key obviously seeing as this appears to be the hurdle everyone is falling at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

My licence has been extended until the end of May 2010. Should I apply for the new licence now?

Also, is losing your original licence a serious problem? I normally have them all together locked in the safe, but a family member has move them who is out of the country for quite a while. It's not missing long, but I am just a bit worried incase it doesn't show up. Cheers :)

Chipboard wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been posted but would anyone mind posting up what you put on your accompanying letter as the reasons for requiring a centrefire pistol?

Pretty key obviously seeing as this appears to be the hurdle everyone is falling at.

It doesn't seem to matter what you put down.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to matter what you put down.
    That is not good advice :mad:

You put down what you are using it for, why nothing else will suffice (the rules of the competition) and that you've been using it for this purpose - competition scores and a letter from your NGB attesting you've been shooting competitively with this firearm.

That would be a good starting point.

My licence has been extended until the end of May 2010. Should I apply for the new licence now?
    No. There's no point in clogging up an already overburdened system with an application that's not needed to be looked at for at least four months.
    Also, is losing your original licence a serious problem? I normally have them all together locked in the safe, but a family member has move them who is out of the country for quite a while. It's not missing long, but I am just a bit worried incase it doesn't show up. Cheers :)
    I thought I'd lost mine, but found them after a bit of a search. Your certificate number is on your extension letter and you don't have to submit your old licence with the new application: They kind of know you have one :D

That is not good advice :mad:

You put down what you are using it for, why nothing else will suffice (the rules of the competition) and that you've been using it for this purpose - competition scores and a letter from your NGB attesting you've been shooting competitively with this firearm.

That would be a good starting point.

Indeed, although looking at the way it is going now, it seems as if even that + more is not enough.

Chipboard should put down what he put down on the original application, surely that should be enough.... Or not.
    :rolleyes:

Just be prepared when you submit your application, 2 references, 2 photos, club membership details, REASON FOR HOLDING A FIREARM, your doctors address, and you will get a visit from the local station to check out your locker. Apply 3 months before the end of your extension. The ICPSA has a very good link to the Garda site. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No. There's no point in clogging up an already overburdened system with an application that's not needed to be looked at for at least four months.

I thought I'd lost mine, but found them after a bit of a search. Your certificate number is on your extension letter and you don't have to submit your old licence with the new application: They kind of know you have one :D

Great thanks for the info... I think I will pop the extension letter into the safe, just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

DonalP wrote: »
    Just be prepared when you submit your application, 2 references, 2 photos, club membership details, REASON FOR HOLDING A FIREARM, your doctors address, and you will get a visit from the local station to check out your locker. Apply 3 months before the end of your extension. The ICPSA has a very good link to the Garda site. Good luck

It's one photo per liscense.Copyrighting them isnt a bad idea either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

As I applied a month ago and i'm still waiting for a reply I phoned the local firearms officer, he told me that my application is now in the district office (a month to get it up 1 flight of stairs) and to phone them. I did, they have the application and the super might make a decision in the next week or two. Hows that for an improved system, what a way to treat the public.

Advertisement