Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Renewal?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

DonalP wrote: »
    As I applied a month ago and i'm still waiting for a reply I phoned the local firearms officer, he told me that my application is now in the district office (a month to get it up 1 flight of stairs) and to phone them. I did, they have the application and the super might make a decision in the next week or two. Hows that for an improved system, what a way to treat the public.
    Six weeks (if it comes through in that time) is a pretty good turnaround and a major improvement on past performances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rrpc wrote: »
    Six weeks (if it comes through in that time) is a pretty good turnaround and a major improvement on past performances.

Speak for yourself. I've been spoilt over the years :D. Never waited anymore then 3 - 4 weeks for any licence. I once picked out a gun in a shop, left deposit, drove to local station, got licence stamped and signed, drove back to shop via ATM, and paid rest of the money on the gun. Out the door. Total time from picking gun to getting gun was 1 hour 42 minutes. So this whole months of waiting thing is killing me (like the rest of us). I know lads have waited months for a .22 so i count myself as one of the lucky ones. Not anymore though. I think those days are over.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. I've been spoilt over the years :D. Never waited anymore then 3 - 4 weeks for any licence. I once picked out a gun in a shop, left deposit, drove to local station, got licence stamped and signed, drove back to shop via ATM, and paid rest of the money on the gun. Out the door. Total time from picking gun to getting gun was 1 hour 42 minutes. So this whole months of waiting thing is killing me (like the rest of us). I know lads have waited months for a .22 so i count myself as one of the lucky ones. Not anymore though. I think those days are over.
    I can beat that :D

Picked out the rifle (my second) it was on Live Aid day if anyone can remember that, drove back to the Garda Station to be asked "do you want this today?" to which of course I said yes, was given a permit and told the licence will be along whenever but you can pick it up now if you want. Back to Watts and home with a new rifle.

Missed a fair bit of Live Aid though :D

Impressive! I thought my two day turnaround was quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Impressive! I thought my two day turnaround was quick!

I cant beat that but know a man that can!:D-The garda went with him on 3 different occasions to the gunshop and when he selected and paid for the firearm, the garda wrote out a letter and handed it to the dealer and yer man walked out with the firearm on the spot, the licence was issued later;)-The sergeant was a family friend:(-didnt work like that for the rest of us though-I was kept waiting on an single barrel shotgun for nearly a year at round about the same time:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Em, my Mum's obstetrician had my Austrian unmentionable wrapped in a towel for me, the licence had been issued at the first bout of morning sickness. :D:D:D

Edit: ok, ok I was born before the 80's, I made it all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

G17 wrote: »
    Em, my Mum's obstetrician had my Austrian unmentionable wrapped in a towel for me, the licence had been issued at the first bout of morning sickness. :D:D:D

Edit: ok, ok I was born before the 80's, I made it all up.

aW JEEZ!:( thought we had a winner there.:D

There's nothing actually stopping that happening now. You can still get a permit under the act and a Superintendent can still give out authorisations for unrestricted firearms.

So everything's changed and nothing has ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

had my Austrian piece of hardware licence within a week. That was December 2005. Oh how times they are changing :(

....... Back to Watts and home with a new rifle............

Is that Watts on the Quays. Bought my first O/U from them years and years ago. It was an Orbit (Spanish i believe) and cost £435. Had that gun for 14 years and still miss it. Also bought my first CZ .22 from them. Ah good times................Innocent times.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    Is that Watts on the Quays. Bought my first O/U from them years and years ago. It was an Orbit (Spanish i believe) and cost £435. Had that gun for 14 years and still miss it. Also bought my first CZ .22 from them. Ah good times................Innocent times.
    It was indeed. Great shop and nice staff, always enjoyed going in just for a browse and a chat.

Sadly missed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fact!! Used to love going to Watts Bros and Garrnetts& Keegan,anytime we infrequently went up to "de big city" :)in my youth.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It was indeed. Great shop and nice staff, always enjoyed going in just for a browse and a chat.

Sadly missed :(

+1.
    Originally Posted by Grizzly 45
    ..................anytime we infrequently went up to "de big city"

I'm originally from "de big city" so they were "The" shop to go to. My father first brought me in nearly 30 years ago. Getting all teary eyed, (sniff, sniff);)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Garnet & Keegan’s, now that takes me back. I remember that shop well, had the feel of a real gentleman’s shop. I was too young to remember exactly what firearms they sold but I remember the big wall of firearms all down the left side of the shop. I’ve only seen the like in a couple of shops in UK & US since but these were all real high brow shops, mega money for everything. I bought my first hunting knife across the road on Parliament
    Street in the cutlery shop (Read’s I think) a Schrader old timer, I bought my first firearm off Watts and changed it another three times afterwards with them ending up with a Marlin 39AS. Nice people but I always felt their prices a bit high and possibly would sell you anything if you didn’t know what you were looking for. As a young fellow I asked them for a shotgun to shoot rabbits with, they sent me off with a second hand fixed choke O/U skeet gun. Still have it mind you but it weighs a ton, good for clays but would pull the arm off you carrying it in the field. I still have fond memories of them and the shop though,
    I really fancied having the gun that went with the 10ga goose shells they had on display, never saw the gun just the shells they gave you the impression no fox would be walking away from a blast of that yoke!
    There were five dealers in Dublin city at the time as far as I remember:

Rory’s
    Cleers
    Watts
    Garnet & Keegans
    Watts (of Moby Road)

Was there more around the city at the time I didn’t know about?
    Is there any dealers left in Dublin at all?

I do miss going into the city buying a bit of shooting gear having a couple of pints and getting the bus home. Them were the days.
    3 months for my first License to arrive.

Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Rorys is still there I think in Temple Barf,but doesnt do guns anymore?
    Watts of Mobhi rd,that was Johnnie Watts? Gone as well.
    Garnetts and Heegans,I remember that display too,and intrestingly a Purdey that I was promised,ended up there as well....But thats another story...:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Ah lads, showing your ages now!:D

Rory's in Temple Bar is still there - but no firearms, worst luck. Stuck my head in the other day on the offchance I'd missed something - i.e. a secret RFD in the city centre - but no joy, fishing and angling only.

Well at least, we don't need a licence to tie our own flies! YET

In Dublin, there is still Crescent Sports - haven't bought from NMV yet, but a lovely man to have a good long chat with - and of course, some great kit in the gun room!

And let's not forget Tallaght Rod & Gun:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

dCorbus wrote: »
    Ah lads, showing your ages now!:D

Rory's in Temple Bar is still there - but no firearms, worst luck. Stuck my head in the other day on the offchance I'd missed something - i.e. a secret RFD in the city centre - but no joy, fishing and angling only.

Well at least, we don't need a licence to tie our own flies! YET

In Dublin, there is still Crescent Sports - haven't bought from NMV yet, but a lovely man to have a good long chat with - and of course, some great kit in the gun room!

And let's not forget Tallaght Rod & Gun:)

Phoned Crescent yesterday to see if they were open Mondays. Needed some cartridges. NMV is closed until 31 Oct, must be off shooting somewhere. :D
    AFAIK there are no gun shops left in town, Courtlough in Balbriggan has one and there is a good low-profile dealer in Bray. Didn't the smith from Garnett & Keegan move on to work for the shop in Drogheda?
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

there is a good low profile dealer in bray good prices aswell . i have his permission to give out his number if any one wants it send me a pm;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 geribabe

There's a gun shop in Celbridge, not exactly Dublin I know but still only a short trip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Where is the dealer in Celbridge ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 snowman6416

hi folk

some news to tell you all !!
    on how to get rig of you gun without the dealer

i went to the local garda station and met with the garda over the firearm,

which he told me to seriously thing about what i was doing before i do anything and was to get in contact with him again, before i started to do anything, when i had reached a decision on what i was going to do

here what he told me to do

told me to look for the numbers on the gun,
    before i stated to cut up in to small piece's and not to cut the parts of the gun that had the numbers on it,
    cut round the number and to leave them visual, when cutting in to small piece's (don't cut the parts with numbers on).
    the part with the numbers and the rest of the gun is to be shown to the garda that your where in contact with, so that he can take you of the pulse system,
    and finally the the firearm has to burried deep down under ground so the it can not be dough up again,

before you do anything get in contact with your local garda station and see what they has to say before cutting up your own firearm

when going through your local garda staion it did not cost anything

snowman6416

Advertisement