Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

gimmick wrote: »
    Haha, the Sun is reporting today that Real want to buy Rooney for £90m with a 5 year deal amounting to €60m AND they also want Fabio Capello back as manager.

I shall be taking that with a huge lump of salt.

Even if it were true that Real were thinking of it, why would Capello go back after being sacked twice for just winning the league twice in his 2 seasons there.

Nutjob of a club.
    He wasn't sacked the first time, he just left because he didn't get on with then president Lorenzo Sanz, who tried to impose his son on the team despite being rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

kinaldo wrote: »
    He wasn't sacked the first time, he just left because he didn't get on with then president Lorenzo Sanz, who tried to impose his son on the team despite being rubbish.

How long have you had a penchant for Real Madrid may I ask?

eZe^ wrote: »
    How long have you had a penchant for Real Madrid may I ask?
    Since the first time I saw them play live, against Juventus in the first leg of the 1996 CL quarter final. Raúl scored in a 1-0 win that night and the commentator kept going on about 'Raúl Madrid'.

I knew practically nada about Spanish football the week before and had a fondness for Juve cos of their likeness to Newky and from seeing Roberto Baggio play for them following the '94 World Cup. I remember James Richardson previewing the game Bernabéu game in his Gazetta Football Italia newspaper round-up the previous Saturday, and was bowled by the atmosphere and size of Madrid's stadium when they lined out on my TV screen. (a world apart from the half empty Italian stadia and the little Old Traffords and St. James' Parks of the day)

Real totally outclassed them on the night and should have won comfortably. All the pundits felt that Real had missed their chance and that Juve would overcome them in Turin. which they did 2-0 en route to winning the trophy, but we had our revenge in the brilliant '98 final. :)

Good write up by Phil Ball on what to make of Madrid's season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=773647&sec=europe&root=europe&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Good write up by Phil Ball on what to make of Madrid's season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=773647&sec=europe&root=europe&cc=5739

As regards what Wenger said about Spanish football I am in complete agreement. I have said on here a couple of times over the past two seasons that the league is becoming akin to Scotland. 25pts ahead of third and 30pts ahead of fourth is crazy and a poor reflection on the league in general. The president of the RFEF has even said so himself.

Nice read.

redout wrote: »
    As regards what Wenger said about Spanish football I am in complete agreement. I have said on here a couple of times over the past two seasons that the league is becoming akin to Scotland. 25pts ahead of third and 30pts ahead of fourth is crazy and a poor reflection on the league in general. The president of the RFEF has even said so himself.

Nice read.
    I don't think the league is as bad as people are making out. Look at the quality of some of the players across the ranks of Sevilla, Valencia, Atlético Madrid, Bilbao, Villarreal etc. you don't and would never get that in Scotland.

The problem I believe is that Barca, through having an abundance of the best talent in the world, including one who might soon be considered the greatest of all time, they've raised the bar considerably. Real in turn have had to spend 250 million just to try to keep up with them. The two clubs would dominate any league I feel.

(yes, I'm waiting for Manchester and Chelsea fans' sniggers, but they are two ageing teams that I really don't rate this season, both falling over themselves the closer they get to the finishing line.)

When Laporta goes, Guardiola steps aside, Xavi retires, then we will probably see things return to normal, where Barca would lose about 7 to 10 games in a league campaign. People forget that it was only 3 years ago that Sevilla were in with a chance of winning the title on the final day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Rumours of Ash Cole to Madrid in the Chelsea thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I don't think the league is as bad as people are making out. Look at the quality of some of the players across the ranks of Sevilla, Valencia, Atlético Madrid, Bilbao, Villarreal etc. you don't and would never get that in Scotland.

I'd imagine the poster wasn't referring to the quality of players - moreso the dominance of Barca & Real making the league a two horse race season after season. But like you say it could all change in a matter of years when certain players retire etc. etc. - imho - don't really see this happening however!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The problem I believe is that Barca, through having an abundance of the best talent in the world, including one who might soon be considered the greatest of all time, they've raised the bar considerably. Real in turn have had to spend 250 million just to try to keep up with them. The two clubs would dominate any league I feel.

(yes, I'm waiting for Manchester and Chelsea fans' sniggers, but they are two ageing teams that I really don't rate this season, both falling over themselves the closer they get to the finishing line.)

When Laporta goes, Guardiola steps aside, Xavi retires, then we will probably see things return to normal, where Barca would lose about 7 to 10 games in a league campaign. People forget that it was only 3 years ago that Sevilla were in with a chance of winning the title on the final day.

Good post. Last season was probably a better indication of the strength of the Spanish league rather than this one.

I think that the likes of Sevilla and Valencia are far better than what their points tally suggests this season. There seems to be an element of resignation in the teams that they cannot touch the big two though.

Regardingt he "Scotland" comment, I do not think they man it in terms of quality, I think they mean it in the mundanely predictable top 2 which has a stranglehold on the whole league.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Rumours of Ash Cole to Madrid in the Chelsea thread.

How much more detestable could one club become. A Madridista buddy of mine said its bad enough have CR9, but if Cashley joins he is finished with them. Hopefully Rafa goes to them and all.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I'd imagine the poster wasn't referring to the quality of players - moreso the dominance of Barca & Real making the league a two horse race season after season. But like you say it could all change in a matter of years when certain players retire etc. etc. - imho - don't really see this happening however!

Regardingt he "Scotland" comment, I do not think they man it in terms of quality, I think they mean it in the mundanely predictable top 2 which has a stranglehold on the whole league.

bingo.

How much more detestable could one club become. A Madridista buddy of mine said its bad enough have CR9, but if Cashley joins he is finished with them. Hopefully Rafa goes to them and all.

Stick JT, Stephen Ireland, Joey Barton, Craig Bellamy and Robbie Fowler in there and it's be real "get the hurls" time.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Metzelder off to Schalke on a free,always thought he would have done well in the Premiership

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11881_6119474,00.html

Gillington wrote: »
    Metzelder off to Schalke on a free,always thought he would have done well in the Premiership

Surprise that as I read last week he was on the verge of a move to Wolfsburg. No loss anyway as he was never given a proper run in the team. Best conclusion for all parties I reckon.

Wouldn't it be funny if Vicente del Bosque wins the World Cup this summer and becomes the popular choice to succeed Pellegrini.

A World Cup with Spain would surely be more fashionable than anything Mourinho achieves. Pérez and the Madrid press would no doubt target him like they do Wenger.

He'd be mad to go back, but Capello did.

Fingers crossed for Real to crumble under the pressure tomorrow night.

Come on Mallorca :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Madrid have signed Di Maria apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ush1 wrote: »

Have only seen bits and pieces of him, the reported 40m is crazy money.

Ush1 wrote: »

Where did you see that ?

Nothing in Spanish press from what I can see.

EDIT: Saw something now. Argentinian paper claiming its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Where did you see that ?

Nothing in Spanish press from what I can see.

EDIT: Saw something now. Argentinian paper claiming its true.

Yep.

If it's true, can't see them going for Ribery aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Lol a rumour in Marca yesterday claimed Real Madrid are going to launch a £120m offer the way of Barcelona for Messi. they are trying their absolute best to deter Barcelona in the last 2 games (one game now). Hopefully it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Lol a rumour in Marca yesterday claimed Real Madrid are going to launch a £120m offer the way of Barcelona for Messi. they are trying their absolute best to deter Barcelona in the last 2 games (one game now). Hopefully it works

That's actually been doing the rounds for nearly a week now, can't remember where it came from originally.

Barca would laugh at that to be honest.

Anyway he would cost at least twice that :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Barca would laugh at that to be honest.

Anyway he would cost at least twice that :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D

Twice? Pffffffffff £120m is an acceptable offer for Messi

In fairness to Marca, they attributed that rumour to the English press, the Mirror I think.

• Advertisement

101 goals in the league with 1 game to go, at least we've been well entertained.

Fair dues to Real on putting in a stellar performance this season by pushing Barca all the way.

Expecting more of the same again next season - Valdano has said tonight that there could be many new signings to come like last season.

La Liga Team of the Season by Eduardo Alvarez:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=786445&sec=soccernetawards&root=soccernetawards&cc=5739

Does anyone think that Mourinho or anyone else can really achieve more than Pellegrini's 96 points and 100 plus league goals tally next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Does anyone think that Mourinho or anyone else can really achieve more than Pellegrini's 96 points and 100 plus league goals tally next season?

They wont score anywhere near 100 goals under Mourinho thats for sure but he will tighten up the defence.
    Mourinho is a similar type of coach to Capello,primarily defensive and I cant see that style going down too well with the fans.
    Winning the league couldnt save Capellos job before and I cant see it being enough for Mourinho.
    Its an almost impossible task,you have to win,you have to win with style and you also have to finish ahead of the best club team in the world.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

They might have just as well called it a Barca/Real X plus Luis.

Now I'm not entirely sure on the inclusion of Filipe Luis. Surely he was there for the first half of the season but if you miss the entire second half can you be in the team of the season? Though there wasn't really any one clear choice at left back this season that I can think of. Ah sure we can put Arbeloa in there instead of him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think the attack is alright, with Ronaldo, Kaka, Higuain, etc. But I think Lucio would be a great addition, and possibly going for Michael Essien in midfield.

So....

If Jose did take over who/what players would be want to bring in?

Presumably if hes going to stick to his usual 4-3-3, you'd be looking at something like this in midfield and attack:

Higuain

????
    Ronaldo

Kaka

---Alonso
    Diarra

Not dissimilar to the Inter formation at present with kaka in the Schneijder role and Ronaldo, Higuain and a new signing as the front three he employed at Inter in Milito, Eto and Pandev.

Could see them splashing on Di Maria as the third man in attack and possibly upgrading on Diarra as a DM. Maybe someone like Mascherano.

He likes to buld his team from teh back so could see him investing in at least one centre back and left back (Ash Cole?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What will happen Ramos if Real sign Maicon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

So....

If Jose did take over who/what players would be want to bring in?

Presumably if hes going to stick to his usual 4-3-3, you'd be looking at something like this in midfield and attack:

Higuain

????
    Ronaldo

Kaka

---Alonso
    Diarra

Not dissimilar to the Inter formation at present with kaka in the Schneijder role and Ronaldo, Higuain and a new signing as the front three he employed at Inter in Milito, Eto and Pandev.

Could see them splashing on Di Maria as the third man in attack and possibly upgrading on Diarra as a DM. Maybe someone like Mascherano.

He likes to buld his team from teh back so could see him investing in at least one centre back and left back (Ash Cole?)

He won't go as defensive as Inter. He'll revert back to the Chelsea 4-3-3, with one DM and someone to partner Kaka in the centre like Gerrard. Could well go for Di Maria or David Silva on the left. They need a left back but it won't be A.Cole unless Kaka is part of the deal.

JPA wrote: »
    What will happen Ramos if Real sign Maicon?

I'd have Ramos over Pepe in CB, but we'll have to wait and see, Mourinho usually goes for experience over youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

How long will mourinho be given to win the champions league?

2 weeks. Max.

Lukker- wrote: »
    2 weeks. Max.

That's going to be tough :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One season I'd expect.
    I dont like the idea of Mourinho becoming coach .
    He is primarily a defensive coach and his teams never play open attacking fluid football a prequisite for any Real team.
    Defensive coaches like Capello have in the past won the league but still been fired because the style of football they played wasn't deemed attractive enough.
    Perhaps Real are so desperate to finish ahead of Barca in La Liga and win the Champions league that they will accept success at any cost even if it means Mourinho grinding this way to the title.
    Pellegrini did a good job this season in getting Real to amass 96 points in the league and play attractive football despite the fact his hands were tied with player personnel and he had to incorporate 4 new Galacticos into the team.
    The team wasnt that far off winning the league .
    Mourinho will sweep in now,make a few defensive tweaks and take all the plaudits .

I can't believe pelligrini gets 96 points and is fired

• Advertisement

I don't think he's being fired because of not winning the leauge, it's probably getting knocked out by Lyon that was the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mourinho will sweep in now,make a few defensive tweaks and take all the plaudits .
    This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I cant help but wonder how Mourniho way of playing will go down with the fans at the Bernabau, his style is more of a counter attack football which will suit Real down to the ground with the attacking payers they currently have. If Mourniho takes over I can see him buying a few Chelsea defenders like Alex or Carlvaho, maybe even JT who knows but he will want some stability at the back first and foremost.
    The attacking players they have to choose from is frightening, who have they got let me see: Ronaldo - Kaka - Benzema - Raul - Higuain, even some defenders are attacking players and some more midfielders like Van Der Vaart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's life as a Real Madrid coach.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This.

Thats an astonishing underestimation of what Mourinho and other top class managers of their ilk do. Its not as simple as making a few "defensive tweaks" to craft a champions league wining squad, no matter how many galacticos they have. Management at the top level these days is so detailed and intricate, most of it is beyond any of our comprehension, not to mention successful management at the level that Jose invariably delivers.

Thats an astonishing underestimation of what Mourinho and other top class managers of their ilk do. Its not as simple as making a few "defensive tweaks" to craft a champions league wining squad, no matter how many galacticos they have. Management at the top level these days is so detailed and intricate, most of it is beyond any of our comprehension, not to mention successful management at the level that Jose invariably delivers.

I'd have bet my left testicle that giving Pellegrini one more year would result in the same amount of silverware as hiring Jose. Manuel knows the ins and outs of La Liga, and was finally coming to terms with his best formation players. Jose will now look like he's the key difference for Real, despite it being an 'inevitable' conclusion imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seems like another appointment from the ego of Perez, a Galactico, except this time the Galactico is a manager.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'd have bet my left testicle that giving Pellegrini one more year would result in the same amount of silverware as hiring Jose. Manuel knows the ins and outs of La Liga, and was finally coming to terms with his best formation players. Jose will now look like he's the key difference for Real, despite it being an 'inevitable' conclusion imo.

Perhaps in La Liga, but Jose's CL pedigree is hard to ignore. Certainly, them winning the CL anytime soon is far from "inevitable," its an astonishingly difficult competition to win, no matter who you are, or how much you spend.

JPA wrote: »
    Seems like another appointment from the ego of Perez, a Galactico, except this time the Galactico is a manager.

Could go spectacularly wrong, given Mourinho is a very independent man, and won't take kindly to backroom interference. Interesting to see how he deploys Kaka/ Ronaldo, and if Perez tries to sell Higuain.

• Advertisement

Perhaps in La Liga, but Jose's CL pedigree is hard to ignore. Certainly, them winning the CL anytime soon is far from "inevitable," its an astonishingly difficult competition to win, no matter who you are, or how much you spend.

It's literally inevitable that they make it past the first K.O round. Winning it is a whole different ball game, but I think Perez easily has the ability to win a CL. Instead they have to fork out 50 million on the big named Mourinho.

Advertisement