Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eZe^ wrote: »
    Could go spectacularly wrong, given Mourinho is a very independent man, and won't take kindly to backroom interference. Interesting to see how he deploys Kaka/ Ronaldo, and if Perez tries to sell Higuain.

Both of them will know what they are getting into, you would think at least.
    I predict a spectacular 2 seasons and that will be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

flahavaj wrote: »
    Perhaps in La Liga, but Jose's CL pedigree is hard to ignore. Certainly, them winning the CL anytime soon is far from "inevitable," its an astonishingly difficult competition to win, no matter who you are, or how much you spend.

Yeah, in the knockout stages all you need is to concede 1 away from home, and to not score or just concede 1 at home to be in deep ish. But with Mourinho he would be superb at those type of situation so who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It's literally inevitable that they make it past the first K.O round. Winning it is a whole different ball game, but I think Perez easily has the ability to win a CL. Instead they have to fork out 50 million on the big named Mourinho.

How so 50 million? I read Moratti was prepared to forego his 16 million buy out clause as thank you for delivering the CL.

The way I see it he's the best manager in the world. If a club like Madrid aspires to having the best team and players, they may as well hire the best manager to train them. If he wrests la Liga away from this astonishing generation of players that Barca have (no to mention the signings they're making) and wins the CL it will be an incredible achievement, as good as anything he has done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

How so 50 million? I rea Moratti was prepared to forego his 16 million buy out clause as thank you for delivering the CL.

The way I see it he's the best manager in the world. If a club like Madrid aspires to having the best team and players, they may as well hire the best manager to train them. If he wrests la Liga away from this astonishing generation of players that Barca have (no to mention the signings they're making) and wins the CL it will be an incredible achievement, as good as anything he has done before

Something Manuel Pellegrini was only 3 points away from doing this year. Pellegrini was working out the kinks in his team, and had them playing good attacking football in the latter half of the season. They are breaking up an already winning formula for a risk that may go spectacularly well, or ridiculously bad. I just don't think it's a risk worth taking if I was a Madridista.

How so 50 million? I read Moratti was prepared to forego his 16 million buy out clause as thank you for delivering the CL.

The way I see it he's the best manager in the world. If a club like Madrid aspires to having the best team and players, they may as well hire the best manager to train them. If he wrests la Liga away from this astonishing generation of players that Barca have (no to mention the signings they're making) and wins the CL it will be an incredible achievement, as good as anything he has done before.

Really? Winning the league and CL with a team assembled with several hundred millions and world record fees would be as good as his wins with Porto or Inter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Add to that Madrid players have come out and said Pelligrini should not be sacked.

JPA wrote: »
    Really? Winning the league and CL with a team assembled with several hundred millions and world record fees would be as good aa his wins with Porto or Inter?

When you're up against Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and David Villa etc it is!

Really? Winning the league and CL with a team assembled with several hundred millions and world record fees would be as good aa his wins with Porto or Inter?

Considering he'll be given no more than a season to do so, then yes. The level of expactation will be such that unless he hits the bround running and wins pretty much straight away he'll be fired. Matching the ridiculous levels of expectation that Perez has for Madrid is next to imossible. If he does so it'll have been a monumental achievement that few if any managers have the sheer self belief and talent to pull off.

Considering he will have to finish above Barca, (who themselves have spent an absolute fortune, will do so again this Summer on the likes of Villa and Cesc as well as having an extraordinary generation of home grown talent), just to win La Liga, it would be every bit as good IMO, if not better.

Something Manuel Pellegrini was only 3 points away from doing this year. Pellegrini was working out the kinks in his team, and had them playing good attacking football in the latter half of the season. They are breaking up an already winning formula for a risk that may go spectacularly well, or ridiculously bad. I just don't think it's a risk worth taking if I was a Madridista.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pellegrini is getting absolutely blagguarded. Far be it from me to stand up for the ridiculous decisions that Madrid make at board room level. They're idiots, pure and simple. I think Pellegrini is a fantastic manager and whatever club gets him next will have gotten a very talented guy. Liverpool could do an awful lot worse than get him in tbh.

Considering he'll be given no more than a season to do so, then yes. The level of expactation will be such that unless he hits the bround running and wins pretty much straight away he'll be fired. Matching the ridiculous levels of expectation that Perez has for Madrid is next to imossible. If he does so it'll have been a monumental achievement that few if any managers have the sheer self belief and talent to pull off.

Considering he will have to finish above Barca, (who themselves have spent an absolute fortune, will do so again this Summer on the likes of Villa and Cesc as well as having an extraordinary generation of home grown talent), just to win La Liga, it would be every bit as good IMO, if not better.

But Pellegrini was very close to winning La Liga in his first season after having a team put together with very little say in it. So next season they should all be settled better and should have improved anyway.

• Advertisement

But Pellegrini was very close to winning La Liga in his first season after having a team put together with very little say in it. So next season they should all be settled better and should have improved anyway.

Fair point. With the signings they are making Barca are gonna be even better too though, frighteningly so, and even more highly motivated after losing to Inter.:p

Fair point. With the signings they are making Barca are gonna be even better too though, frighteningly so, and even more highly motivated after losing to Inter.:p

If Mourinho can motivate Kaka to up his game, tighten up the defence and if Ronaldo and Higain perform on the same plate, next season will be superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I cant wait for La Liga to begin,I'm salivating at the prospect of it.
    The EPL is a distant second now in terms of viewing priority and standard of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I cant wait for La Liga to begin,I'm salivating at the prospect of it.
    The EPL is a distant second now in terms of viewing priority and standard of football.

La Liga is as unbalanced as the SPL and I don't think any English sides would have got knocked out of Europe by Lyon. Distant second IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lukker wrote:
    I don't think any English sides would have got knocked out of Europe by Lyon.
    They knocked Liverpool out.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    They knocked Liverpool out.

So did Fiorentina and Debrecen technically. If Liverpool, Arsenal, United or Chelsea met them in a semi final I still think all the English teams would win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Real confirm Mourinho will be there new manager.

Gotta feel for Pellegrini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

A shame about Pellegrini he did a great job, I reackon he'll be deligted with his redundency package though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A shame about Pellegrini he did a great job, I reackon he'll be deligted with his redundency package though.

Would he do well in the Premiership does anyone reckon?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Would he do well in the Premiership does anyone reckon?

Hard to know. Great tactician but Villareal was little South America. He signed great players from there cause of his connections with the continent.

• Advertisement

Feel bad for Pellegrini, but he went into the Madrid job with his eys open and the hefty compensation he'll get will be a nice consolation. Real football people will know he did an excellent job at Madrid in the light of almost impossible expectation and did a lot to enhance his reputation in his year there. He'll land a very good job somewhere else. Liverpool could do a lot worse if Rafa parts company with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Essien and Cashley to Real Madrid? Unfortunately it comes from the Daily Express, but that would be a pretty sweet addition to the team. Diarra would most likely be on his way as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Feel bad for Pellegrini, but he went into the Madrid job with his eys open and the hefty compensation he'll get will be a nice consolation. Real football people will know he did an excellent job at Madrid in the light of almost impossible expectation and did a lot to enhance his reputation in his year there. He'll land a very good job somewhere else. Liverpool could do a lot worse if Rafa parts company with them.

It didnt matter who they brought in as they are facing what is likely the greatest Barca side in history hence to astronomical spending spree. Mourinho or not it will be extremely difficult to unsurp this side. The three points difference at the seasons end was misleading to be honest, Sid Lowe pointed it out as did Kinaldo ;) and they were both spot on as far as I am concerned. The second Clasico of the season was very telling and showed them to be miles apart. I also believe when you take into consideration that Iniesta - one of the key players of this Barca side had a stop start season with injury and never got into it at all it was even more surprising that Barca did so well.

Not sure what Perez is at to be honest as the fans couldnt give a toss what he thinks. If you dont play the attack minded football at this club you just do not last. I wouldnt be at all surprised if Perez just wants Mourinho to use his style of football to wrestle a title from Barca or Champions league out of desperation because of his astronomical spending spree and then show him the door. Pellegrini was getting there. He tweaked the team over the first few months of the season and then it started to come together. I think he did a stellar job considering he had seven new players to integrate into the team - I mean how difficult must that have been ?

I would also highly doubt he would move to England as he is entwined so deeply in Spanish and south american football. Quique has been confirmed for next season as has Alvarez and with Emery safe all the big jobs are off the market. Perhaps a stint at Mallorca could be a possibility now that Manzano has been let go because (absolute disgrace to be honest) of the financial uncertainty surrounding the club. Wherever he ends up I wish him all the best. One of the Gents of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I wonder what Jose will mean for Alonso. If he signed Essien, would Essien play alongside Alonso or replace him?

I wonder what Jose will mean for Alonso. If he signed Essien, would Essien play alongside Alonso or replace him?

Essien, Alonso and Kaka would be a pretty w*nk-tastic midfield three. Stick Ronaldo, higuain and AN Other (Di Maria/Silva) ahead of them and throw in Jose'a ability to get his teams to defend properly and you have a serious force to be reckoned with.

No way could Real sign Essien.

No way could Real sign Essien.

Not saying its gonna happen or anything but the reality of modern football is if the player says he wants to move, the player gets his move. This goes for all players at all clubs. No club is safe from it tbh, no matter who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Its Real, the only players they can't sign is Messi and Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

TheTosh wrote: »
    Its Real, the only players they can't sign is Messi and Torres

or defenders?

The three points difference at the seasons end was misleading to be honest, Sid Lowe pointed it out as did Kinaldo

Strange..... if Real had of beat Sevilla in Sevilla they would have only needed a win on the last day. So im unsure how this 3 points win on the last day of the season shows anything really other than 3 points. fairly sure all leagues abide by the same rules and it points that win leagues nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Has Guti got another contract for one year? Was reported today on some sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Headshot wrote: »
    right
    im going to make few predictions

Manuel Pellegrini to be fired around christmas,dressing room bust ups,
    Real madrid end up with nothing again

pfft, you really haven't got a clue. :D

http://www.goal.com/en/news/article?contentId=1945211

Extensive interview with the new man in the whitehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tough for the coach.

Just looked at the stats, last 20 games of the season, 18 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw. ****ing unreal performance.

Good article here about Mourinho's style of football and how it isnt suited to that demanded by Real Madrid
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=790698&sec=europeopinion&root=europeopinion&cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Pellegrini was treated shamefully and I hope Real Madrid's bank account has been suitably lightened as a result.

As for all this talk of Mouinho's defensive style of football not being suited to Real Madrid... maybe he's due a change of style? He certainly has (most of) the players to be a lot more adventurous.

Could we be about to see a new side to Mourinho?
    I bleedin' well hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jose wants Lampard, Gerrard, Ashley Cole for Real shocker! ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/27/jose-mourinho-lampard-gerrard-ashely-cole

Does he have the answer to the third secret of Fatima as well?

With Pepe back Real will have a top class team all over the pitch, they are definitely due a trophy or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Pepe is pants.

Do they still make Pepe jeans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

"Real don't respect coaches" - Pellegrini

Yahoo Sports article here.
    The Chilean criticised Florentino Perez's running of the club, and claimed he has not spoken to the club president for nine months.

"I came here with high hopes and great pride to manage this team. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do and I had differences from the beginning of the season," Pellegrini said in a Cadena Ser radio interview.

"There were a lot of disagreements in the club. I asked for them to keep (Wesley) Sneijder and (Arjen) Robben, who were two very important players for me. I missed having a debate on sporting issues, with the coach included.

"As (former Real coach and current Spain boss) Vicente del Bosque said, even the club show no respect for the position of the coach, and they don't give them the authority internally or externally.

"Florentino's project is extraordinary but I think he's got it wrong".

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Pepe is pants.

Do they still make Pepe jeans?

Pepe is a quality CB. And will go on to do great things in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Absolutely ridiculous that a club would sell two players that the manager wanted to keep hold of. For all their might and prestige, their operations are pathetic. A joke of a club.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous that a club would sell two players that the manager wanted to keep hold of. For all their might and prestige, their operations are pathetic. A joke of a club.

Sher Perez' openly admitted that the only reason he sold them was because he needed to make 'some' money from the transfer market. Pellegrini said it was ok to sell VdV, but said Sneijder and Robben were in his plans, they even trained over preseason with the squad. But when they couldn't flog VdV, Perez' panicked and sold who he could against the wishes of Pellegrini.

Archimedes wrote: »

Once Perez took charge he decided to try to clear out all the dutch players for some strange reason ,he must have something against Holland.:)
    I always liked watching Real play but now that Mourinho is going there I feel disappointed as I feel their attractive style of play will be comprimised.
    I honestly hope that they dont win a thing this season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Once Perez took charge he decided to try to clear out all the dutch players for some strange reason ,he must have something against Holland.:)

Pretty sure it was the fact that they were Calderon's players rather than the fact that they were Dutch...
    I always liked watching Real play but now that Mourinho is going there I feel disappointed as I feel their attractive style of play will be comprimised.
    I honestly hope that they dont win a thing this season .

Jose is an awesome manager. I have no doubt Real will play some awesome stuff under him. The fact that they might occasionally be smart about protecting leads etc is nothing to be dismissive of imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was the fact that they were Calderon's players rather than the fact that they were Dutch...

That is exactly what he was at. He doesn't want anybody else getting any credit for any success that might come Real Madrid's way under his presidency.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Jose is an awesome manager. I have no doubt Real will play some awesome stuff under him. The fact that they might occasionally be smart about protecting leads etc is nothing to be dismissive of imo.
    You know he will be successful, the only question is when his time is up there will he walk before Perez gets the chance to can him.
    Its deffo gonna happen, sparks will fly between those two from day one. There certainly isn't room long term for those two egos in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

eagle eye wrote: »
    You know he will be successful, the only question is when his time is up there will he walk before Perez gets the chance to can him.
    Its deffo gonna happen, sparks will fly between those two from day one. There certainly isn't room long term for those two egos in Madrid.

Completely agree.

Maybe it's my own bias talking, but it really seems like it's all set up to be a short term arrangement while he waits for the United job to become available.

I hope that's the case because I think he'd be an absolutely brilliant replacement for Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What time is the first circus of the summer in a Bernabeu? He is being "unveiled" today yes?

gimmick wrote: »
    What time is the first circus of the summer in a Bernabeu? He is being "unveiled" today yes?

Already happened.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/05/31/1951336/official-real-madrid-present-jose-mourinho-as-new-coach

eagle eye wrote: »

He's waiting for Carletto to take the Italian job then its back to Chelsea to win the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PHB wrote: »
    Just looked at the stats, last 20 games of the season, 18 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw. ****ing unreal performance.

good f*cking grief.

as i've said elsewhere, if Rafa were to leave, we would be damn lucky to get someone of Pellegrini's calibre in.

he has f*ck all to be ashamed of. it was just unlucky for him he managed Real Madrid;

1) during Perez's presidency; and

2) during the time of Pep's Barcelona.

• Advertisement
Advertisement