Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nice to see Mourinho at MAdrid, will make next season entertaining,

i wonder when the "Mind Games" with Pep will start ... they probably allready have !

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

If he wins the champs league whos goin to sack him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Perez, just like he did with Del Bosque. Who won the Champions League. Twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

4 year contract, to be terminated in 12 months. You wait and see.

maybe they have learned from that mistake,eventually

Perez doesn't learn, he's everything that's wrong with football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lukker- wrote: »
    Perez doesn't learn, he's everything that's wrong with football.
    Perez is a money man pure and simple, and while I'm certain he wants to see Madrid succeed on the pitch, he is all about financial stability and he certainly wins in that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

Mourinho to last the season ??? Wonder what odds on that ?
    For football sake I hope they win Fck all for the next 5 years, Madrid is everything thats wrong with football, 11 managers in 11 seasons ???????/

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

secman wrote: »
    11 managers in 11 seasons ???????/
    I read somewhere today it's been 11 in 7 seasons. Even worse.

• Advertisement

if you think thats bad. City had five in one season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

gimmick wrote: »
    What time is the first circus of the summer in a Bernabeu? He is being "unveiled" today yes?

remember i confirmed that he was joining madrid about 10 days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

secman wrote: »
    Mourinho to last the season ??? Wonder what odds on that ?
    For football sake I hope they win Fck all for the next 5 years, Madrid is everything thats wrong with football, 11 managers in 11 seasons ???????/

Secman

Love Madrid. I hate the way Barca get this holier than thou reputation they have they are far from it.

I reckon Mourinho will last 2/3 seasons then leave on his own free will. I doubt he will be sacked and I can see Madrid winning La Liga next season. Hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Love Madrid. I hate the way Barca get this holier than thou reputation they have they are far from it.

Care to elaborate on this?

conno16 wrote: »
    remember i confirmed that he was joining madrid about 10 days ago

Mourinho confirmed around the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

realmadrid wrote: »
    If he wins the champs league whos goin to sack him?

They did it to both Vicente Del Bosque and Jupp Heynckes. If Mourinho doesn't bring a brand of football that Madridista's enjoy (or do the double) he'll be lynched by the likes of Marca and AS.

• Advertisement

Think there were other reasons for Perez sacking del bosque. the makelele pay rise issue,ronaldo leaving and signing of beckham to name just three. I think Mourihno has gone in with more power to sign who he wants and let players who he doesnt want go. I hope he wins the la liga,copa and champions league. I see him stayin for at least 2 to 3 seasons and moving on as he wishes possibly to united of his own accord. I hope at least he knocks barca off their perch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

realmadrid wrote: »
    Think there were other reasons for Perez sacking del bosque. the makelele pay rise issue,ronaldo leaving and signing of beckham to name just three. I think Mourihno has gone in with more power to sign who he wants and let players who he doesnt want go. I hope he wins the la liga,copa and champions league. I see him stayin for at least 2 to 3 seasons and moving on as he wishes possibly to united of his own accord. I hope at least he knocks barca off their perch!

If SAF retired at the end of last season, he be factually at old trafford now.

Hes buying his time I'd say until Fergie hangs up the hair dryers. And its not a bad waiting ground , Real Madrid. But hes long said how he admires sir alex ferguson and considers him the best.

I'd say he will go to United, try win some silverware and build a legendary team, in the hopes it will secure him the title of the greatest manager.

I think its a breath taking story, he is literally hunting every trophy he can get in every division and taking on big club after big club to success. Hope he does wonders at Madrid, I really do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Two decent articles here. The first one is pretty dated - it was wriited last week, the second is a very good read
    Pérez and Pellegrini: Perfect Strangers

Thursday 27 May 2010 12:08
    One of the many theories being bandied about by Madridista Mulder types is that Florentino Pérez will be standing behind José Mourinho as he writes his team sheets next season, clearing his throat in a very aggressive manner indeed should he see the words “Karim Benzema” under the heading “substitutes”.

That theory was poo-pooed most forcefully by Manuel Pellegrini on Wednesday. In a farewell interview with radio station Cadena Ser, the chilled-out Chilean revealed that rather than having constant interference from the Madrid president, the pair had not actually had a conversation since August. “I don’t know him, either as an individual or as a president,” confessed the unemployed coach.

What’s more, it seems Pellegrini was free to go about his managerial business fairly unmolested during his year at the Santiago Bernabeu. “I played who I felt I had to play and wasn’t under pressure to pick who [the board] wanted.”

Of course, not having any kind of relationship with the boss and constantly choosing Gonzalo Higuaín over Benzema probably didn’t help Pellegrini’s case when the decision was made on Wednesday to dispense with his services halfway through the coach’s two-year contract with the club.

“Madrid bets on stability, but stability comes from winning titles and being leaders in the world,” claimed Pérez in announcing the firing of Pellegrini, the seventh coach under the club president’s two tenures.

Manager No.8 is expected to arrive in the Spanish capital towards the end of the week once a compensation deal has been agreed with Inter Milan. But with a bit of time to kill before making his move to Madrid, Mourinho spoke to AS in a rather swanky Milan café and whetted local appetites by confessing that he loves signing players who are 33 or 34 and is looking to pick up three or four defensive footballers over the summer.

Mourinho also gave Guti the very bad news that he is most unimpressed by the maverick midfielder’s reported U-turn over his decision to leave the club: “For me Guti has gone. I read what he has been saying and that’s what counts. He said goodbye to the fans, did a lap around the pitch..."

Over in the Catalan capital, Joan Laporta reacted to the news of Madrid’s latest movements by giving a graceful and most generous speech outlining Mourinho's managerial merits and detailing how he would be looking forward to the battles to come between the two great clubs in the years ahead.

Actually, that’s complete gubbins. Possessing the maturity of a eight-year-old, the King of Catalunya put his fingers to his nose, wiggled them around and claimed that one of Mourinho’s children was a Barcelona fan, as if that was somehow relevant.

The outgoing Barça president then proceeded to throw huge lumps of mud in the direction of the favourite in the club’s upcoming elections. But more on that another day.

One of la Liga’s other big beasts - and Atlético Madrid - have both announced that they will be sticking with their managerial guns next season by extending the contracts of their current coaches.

Sevilla have gone for the very cheap option by making Antonio Alvarez their full-time coach after a report from sporting director Monchi told José Maria del Nido that the man who took over from Manolo Jiménez in March wouldn’t cost very much at all.

However, a mere couple of minutes before the announcement of the manager’s renewal was made on Tuesday night, Del Nido had claimed that Alvarez was “one of 1,328 candidates that we have, many of whom don’t have a club… we have a lot of holidays ahead of us. We will make the decision calmly. We're not in a hurry.”

“If I’ve been chosen from 1,328 candidates then my worth has gone up,” joked Alvarez.

Atleti also confirmed that Quique Sánchez Flores will start the season at Vicente Calderón. Of course, as most readers know by now, finishing it there is a very different kettle of kittens, indeed.
    Mourinho gives tough message to Madrid

Monday 31 May 2010 17:00

The first clue the blog had that The Special One had entered the room was the cacophonous click of cameras and cries of ‘hijo de ***’ from the 15 strong flashmob of cameramen jostling and jarring to get the best shot of Madrid’s latest manager leaning back into his chair in the Bernabeu press centre.

With his special arms folded behind his special back, Mourinho was a picture of cool-as-f*ck tranquility, an image that stood in perfect contrast with that of his fretting and feverish new boss, Jorge Valdano, the gentleman who had once written rather disparaging remarks about his junior partner’s pragmatic managerial stylings.

Madrid’s sporting director was doing his level best to smile for the four minutes that the two endured being snapped and filmed - Mourinho didn’t bother with such pleasantries - preparing for his opening speech, a speech that contained an apology for his 2007 comments in a Marca article and insistence that the air between the pair had been well and truly cleared.

It certainly didn’t look like it for the hour that the pair spent sat next to each other fielding questions from the media, 60 minutes where Mourinho already looked like he was wearing both the trousers, boxers and socks in their footballing household.

Whilst Valdano grimaced, sweated and tried to find something to do with his ever-so-trembly hands, Mourinho did what he does so brilliantly - shrugged, stared, and straight-batted almost of all of the questions sent his way from CNN to la Sexta.

Admitting from the off that his Spanish was more than a little rusty after two years in Italy, Mourinho’s behaviour was at his best for the first half an hour of his presentational press conference.

However, Florentino Pérez’ eighth coach was by no means of a mood to launch a charm offensive with the local press by saying that he accepted his latest role not “because he was born to manage Real Madrid,” as his questioner suggested but because “not managing [Madrid] would be a gap in anyone’s career.”

“I’ve done enough to deserve to be here,” he added later, in case the earlier point was not quite clear enough that Madrid needed him more than he needed Madrid.

“I’ve come here with everything a coach can win in world club football.”

It was once he had eased himself into the local lingo when Mourinho was at his most revealing - or on dodgy Bernabeu ground, if you like - with some of his answers triggering a wonderful look of “no! no! no! no! no! no!” on his suffering sporting director’s face.

The message from Mourinho was that the Galactico reboot was over and done with.

José confirmed that he was only looking for three or four additions to the squad and that “the profile of the player is more important than their name” - a philosophy that may be news to Florentino Pérez, who has no doubt been spending his days flicking through World Cup sticker albums to help him select his latest blockbuster signing.

A 10-tonne piano of a hint at Mourinho’s sporting direction had already been dropped onto the heads of the journos when answering a question on his relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo with the response that he would “persuade him that the most important thing is not the coach or the players but the team.”

“My side will be built with the objective of winning titles,” announced Mourinho.

Another insight from Madrid’s new man is that his Madrid will not be stuffed to bursting point with Spanish players, something that has been a bit of an obsession with Marca in recent years but probably won’t be anymore with Mourinho claiming that a club’s “identity has nothing to do with nationality.”

Although the former Inter man spoke for just an hour, he delivered his treatise of how he sees the club being run under his four year regime: no superstars, no ‘Spanish-isation’ and no desperate desire to win the Champions League - “I like dreams, not obsessions.”

The obvious problem with this statement of intent is that it is already in conflict with everything Florentino Pérez has been preaching in his second spell at the Santiago Bernabeu - stars ahead of the squad and the Champions League as the be-all and end-all at the Bernabeu.

But if the Madrid president is willing to let Mourinho work in his own way without interference then their new coach clearly has the confidence and ability to flourish in his latest role.

However, it is this Portugal-sized ‘if’ that is the key factor on whether Mourinho will succeed where so many before him have failed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Riiiiight.

so according to a few sources (AS, Corriere, etc) Mou want's to sign Maicon, Di Maria, Gerrard and Kolarov.

How would you expect Real to line up with those signings?

I'd expect something like this.

Iker

Maicon
    Ramos
    Pepe
    Kolarov

Xabi
    Gerrard

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Di Maria

Gonzalo

subs:
    Arboloa
    Albiol
    Lass
    Marcelo
    Benzema
    Gutti
    Raul

something like that?

IMHO, technically better than Barca. Stronger back 4. lacking steel in midfield though. Can't see Gerrard wanting to play defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Seaneh wrote: »
    Riiiiight.

so according to a few sources (AS, Corriere, etc) Mou want's to sign Maicon, Di Maria, Gerrard and Kolarov.

Iker

Maicon
    Ramos
    Pepe
    Kolarov

Xabi
    Gerrard

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Di Maris

Gonzalo

subs:
    Arboloa
    Albiol
    Lass
    Marcelo
    Benzema
    Gutti
    Raul

something like that?

IMHO, technically better than Barca. Stronger back 4. lacking steel in midfield though. Can't see Gerrard wanting to play defensively.
    Alonso?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

syngindub wrote: »
    Alonso?

his first name is Xabi

syngindub wrote: »
    Alonso?

What Len said.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

If Maicon is signed what will that mean for Ramos, can't play CB imo and Jose will bring in a good CB

TheTosh wrote: »
    If Maicon is signed what will that mean for Ramos, can't play CB imo and Jose will bring in a good CB

He's already got Albiol and Pepe, both highly capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Riiiiight.

Iker

Maicon
    Ramos
    Pepe
    Kolarov

Xabi
    Gerrard

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Di Maria

Gonzalo

subs:
    Arboloa
    Albiol
    Lass
    Marcelo
    Benzema
    Gutti
    Raul

something like that?

You're deluded if you think that team is technically better than Barca. Go through who's better in each position;

Goalkeeper - Casillas (even though Valdes has comfortably out performed him over the past two years)
    RB - Maicon (and I'm being generous here)
    CB - Pique and Puyol (the partnership is miles ahead of anything at Real)
    LB - Abidal (Best LB in the world until he got injured last season)

DM - Xabi Alonso (Fair enough, clear winner)
    AMF - Xavi and Iniesta (Kaka has proven nothing yet at Real)

LF - Messi (Some people will pick Ronaldo, fair enough)
    CF - Villa (Higuain may go on to be better, but not right now)
    RF - Di Maria (and that's selling Pedro/ Ibrahimovic down the river)

That Barca team is still a much more fluid outfit than Real. Madrid have more much more depth, and more players capable of turning a game from a loss to a win in a few minutes. Real with that team will be one of the best counter attacking teams of all time, and it's got more big names than Barca, but it's a very unbalanced midfield, Gerrard and Kaka will clash just like Gerrard does with Lampard. Xabi will have to play both the DMF role and the play maker. The La Masia lads are still streets ahead of that Real team in terms of technical ability and balance imo.

I know you still rate Kaka as being better than Messi, but that team is going to need another period of time to gel, just like Pellegrini needed last year. Can't wait to see how Arbeloa, Albiol, Garay, Marcelo, and Van Der Vaart take it if Real sign those players. They'll probably have the greatest squad of all time though.

eZe^ wrote: »
    You're deluded if you think that team is technically better than Barca. Go through who's better in each position;

Goalkeeper - Casillas (even though Valdes has comfortably out performed him over the past two years)
    CB - Pique and Puyol (the partnership is miles ahead of anything at Real)

DM - Xabi Alonso (Fair enough, clear winner)
    AMF - Xavi and Iniesta (Kaka has proven nothing yet at Real)

LF - Messi (Some people will pick Ronaldo, fair enough)
    CF - Villa (Higuain may go on to be better, but not right now)
    RF - Di Maria (and that's selling Pedro/ Ibrahimovic down the river)

That Barca team is still a much more fluid outfit than Real. Madrid have more much more depth, and more players capable of turning a game from a loss to a win in a few minutes. Real with that team will be one of the best counter attacking teams of all time, and it's got more big names than Barca, but it's a very unbalanced midfield, Gerrard and Kaka will clash just like Gerrard does with Lampard. Xabi will have to play both the DMF role and the play maker. The La Masia lads are still streets ahead of that Real team in terms of technical ability and balance imo.

I know you still rate Kaka as being better than Messi, but that team is going to need another period of time to gel, just like Pellegrini needed last year. Can't wait to see how Arbeloa, Albiol, Garay, Marcelo, and Van Der Vaart take it if Real sign those players. They'll probably have the greatest squad of all time though.

It's hardly being generous picking Maicon ahead of Avles seeing as he is CLEARLY a better player!

I actually don't think Kaka is better than Messi, I think they are totally different players and to try compare them in pointless. Kaka is far more creative, far more inteligent and a lot stronger. Messi is faster, has better close control and balance it's all swings and round abouts but I do think that when he is fit Kaka is untouchable and one of the best player sI have ever seen, his combination if technique and physique is almost perfect.

Picking Di Maria ahead of Ronaldo is a bit mental if you ask me.

I rate Pique but you well know I have no liking of Puyol. Devoid of a brain and technique. Constantly forced into unneeded last ditch tackles because of his lack of positioning sense which is made worse by his lack of pace and to top it off, he's not even particularly good in the air.

I really don't see how you can say Valdes out preformed Iker. There are two stand out goalkeepers in world football (have been for 10 years now) Buffon and Iker and, honestly, everyone else is a distance behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

:pac:

Casillas has been a great keeper since he was like 18. Sure he has the odd bad game but hes much more solid than Valdes.

Maicon is a better defender than Alves.

Abidal! The best left back in the world last season? I'm not feeling that. Evra, Ashley Cole were still ahead of him.
    I agree with some points you made in your post but Real aren't a million miles away from Barca. The margin between the two is very fine. With Jose there....I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

its no coincidence Valdes is 28 and has only 1 cap for the spanish team. hell even Pepe Reina has has 20 caps.

Casillas is the best keepr available to spain. Valdes is nowhere near it.

Maicon is way way way better than Alves. Alves had more potential but never lived up to his reputation. Macion was excellent for Inter and i think he will be for Madrid. but he could flop the way Alves did but under Mourinho i doubt it.

Pique and Puyol are the best center half pairing in Spain right now. no disputing that. Madrid never seem to have a settled center half pairing. maybe Mourinho will get Albiol and Ramos to form a good partnership to make room for Maicon at right back.

Adibal is way better than Marcelo. goes without saying really. Marcelo has lots of potential but hasnt shown it at Madrid. yet!!

Alonso is the best at what he does. sits back and acts as playmaker. he has a superb 50 yard pass to pick out forwards. if Masherano goes to spain i think he would be a better defensive midfielder. not as good a passer but definitly a better DM.

Xavi and Iniesta are the best center midfielders. great passing ability. but if Gerrard and Cesc go to Spain then i think that dynamic would change. Gerrard would make any team great. Cesc is a younger Xavi. i think Cesc and Gerrard would be the best 2 midfielders(eventually)

Messi and Ronaldo on the wings would be ideal. world class players. united fans will have you believe ronaldo is the better while everyonbe else claims messi is the best. but me. i know they are both quality. messi may edge it but have them on both wings and you have yourslef a world class team.

Villa is better than Higguain and Benzema. at this present time.................... Villa is in his late 20's while the later two are 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Abidal best LB in the world until he got injured, rofl is all I got to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paulegend wrote: »
    i think Cesc and Gerrard would be the best 2 midfielders.
    Are you seriously speaking Steven Gerrard in the same breath as Xavi and Iniesta? Miles behind them.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Are you seriously speaking Steven Gerrard in the same breath as Xavi and Iniesta? Miles behind them.

after this season yea your right but i do rate Gerrard alot higher than Xavi or Iniesta

and yea id say Adibal is one of the best left backs in the world. obviouls Cole is better but he isnt playning in Spain

after this season yea your right but i do rate Gerrard alot higher than Xavi or Iniesta

and yea id say Adibal is one of the best left backs in the world. obviouls Cole is better but he isnt playning in Spain
    To be brutally honest, I don't think there was ever a point where Gerrard was as good as Xavi and Iniesta are right now, and at the moment, he is pretty much miles off. In a different category in the hierarchy of players, absolutely miles off.

CSF wrote: »
    To be brutally honest, I don't think there was ever a point where Gerrard was as good as Xavi and Iniesta are right now, and at the moment, he is pretty much miles off. In a different category in the hierarchy of players, absolutely miles off.

wow. ok thats fair enough. i wont ask who you support:D

i just think that as a box to box midfielder Gerrard is an all rounder. Gerrard those both the jobs of Xavi and Iniesta meaning he is an all rounder better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Oh my ****ing god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

xavi>>>>>>>gerrard. gerrard is phenomenal, but xavi is out of this world. supposedly he hasn't misplaced a pass since 2004! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Xavi is no Michael Carrick :pac:

Abidal the best left-back in the world and Gerrard is better than Xavi, I've heard it all :pac:

redout wrote: »
    Oh my ****ing god!

yes??????

dont show your typical colors.

i said after this ONE bad season that Gerrard wouldnt have been as good as Xavi.

not hard considering Liverpool where rubbish this year.

but Gerrard does both the jobs of Xavi and Iniesta. he is a much much better player all round.

form is temporary class is permanent.

Xavi is a huge talent no doubt. but does he have the shooting attributes of Gerrard? would he work in a box to box role like Gerrard??

even mr ferguson has claimed Gerrard to be one of the best midfielders in the world and the best all round midfielder in England.

Abidal the best left-back in the world and Gerrard is better than Xavi, I've heard it all :pac:

who said he was the best in the world????

maybe if you learn to read you could have smarter comebacks

• Advertisement

yes??????

i said after this ONE bad season that Gerrard wouldnt have been as good as Xavi.

but Gerrard does both the jobs of Xavi and Iniesta. he is a much much better player all round.

Xavi is a huge talent no doubt. but does he have the shooting attributes of Gerrard? would he work in a box to box role like Gerrard??

even mr ferguson has claimed Gerrard to be one of the best midfielders in the world and the best all round midfielder in England.

Xavi dont do much defence nor score goals - He aint suppose to.

What he does do is create space and crack open defences for fun, better than anyone else.

If there is a more intelligent player in world football please enlighten us.

Xavi must seriously be one of the most underrated, unappreciated players of his generation.

To rate Gerrard "alot higher than Xavi" is nothing short of proposterous, borderline ludicrous.

I will take a guess that you are not a regular la liga follower but ffs even the Pool fans on here I couldnt see agreeing with your claim.

Xavi dont do much defence nor score goals - He aint suppose to.

What he does do is create space and crack open defences for fun, better than anyone else.

If there is a more intelligent player in world football please enlighten us.

Xavi must seriously be one of the most underrated, unappreciated players of his generation.

To rate Gerrard "alot higher than Xavi" is nothing short of proposterous, borderline ludicrous.

I will take a guess that you are not a regular la liga follower but ffs even the Pool fans on here I couldnt see agreeing with your claim.

actually one of my mates is a Barca fan so yea we watch alot of la liga down the local.

my claim isnt that Gerrard is miles better. i think youll find my claim is Gerrard is the better all round player................... but im sure youll read into that what you want aswell. stop being a blinkered fan and just see what i am saying.

Gerrard is the better player because he can both defend and attack.
    Xavi - better passer. can pick a 50/60 yard pass better than Alonso which says alot.
    Gerrard - excellent tackler. better striking. makes space for Torres. gets more physically involved than Xavi.

i think Xavi is the best midfielder in Spain. in fact i said that in my original post. but i think as an all round player id pick Gerrard ahead of him. ideally id pick them both(also something i said in my original post).

but as i said if you where not being a blinkered fan youd realise that

actually one of my mates is a Barca fan so yea we watch alot of la liga down the local.

So I'll take it you know what you are talking about.

my claim isnt that Gerrard is miles better. i think youll find my claim is Gerrard is the better all round player................... but im sure youll read into that what you want aswell. stop being a blinkered fan and just see what i am saying.

Your claim was that you rate Gerrard "alot higher than Xavi" its in black and white!

Gerrard is the better player because he can both defend and attack.

They do not play the same position so to rate one better than the other because he does a different job is ridiculous and short sighted.

Xavi - better passer. can pick a 50/60 yard pass better than Alonso which says alot.

I would agree Xaxi is a better overall passer but Xavi wouldnt be in Alonso's league at long range passing. Sure its Alonso's speciality.

Gerrard - excellent tackler. better striking. makes space for Torres. gets more physically involved than Xavi.

Xavi, although he can tackle his game doesnt depend on or is based around it and he doesnt need to be great at striking the ball as again it aint his job although he is pretty nifty at dead balls. As for creating space - its what he does.

i think Xavi is the best midfielder in Spain.

Thats a no brainer.

in fact i said that in my original post. but i think as an all round player id pick Gerrard ahead of him.

Well you are entitled to think that.

ideally id pick them both(also something i said in my original post).

I cannot see were you said that though I have noticed you edited your original post about 4hrs after you originally posted.

but as i said if you where not being a blinkered fan youd realise that

I best get onto an optician.

yea i edited it there because

i think Cesc(future) will be better than Xavi(present). i thought it went without saying but i guess it doesnt...................................

but i did just talk about it when i said i think Cesc is a younger Xavi............................... meaning future.

i also said i think Gerrard is the better all rounder and would be a great addition to any team.

i cant see anymore where we are differing in opinion as i would easily have both in my team as center midfielders(not differnent positions just different roles).

but if i had to just choose one it would be Stevie G

who said he was the best in the world????

maybe if you learn to read you could have smarter comebacks

That smart enough for ya bud?

yea i edited it there because

i think Cesc(future) will be better than Xavi(present). i thought it went without saying but i guess it doesnt...................................

How in the name of god does that go without saying :confused:

but i did just talk about it when i said i think Cesc is a younger Xavi............................... meaning future.

How does that imply he will be a better player ?

I thought we were talking about Gerrard.

i also said i think Gerrard is the better all rounder and would be a great addition to any team.

i cant see anymore where we are differing in opinion as i would easily have both in my team as center midfielders(not differnent positions just different roles).

but if i had to just choose one it would be Stevie G

• Advertisement

That smart enough for ya bud?

jesus its a real cliqua style group here aint it:D

i thought you where commenting about what i said:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

yes??????

Been a few seasons since Gerrard was anything like a box to box midfielder. He spent the bulk of the last three seasons as the second striker/attacking midfielder.

Xavi has been more consistent at a higher level for the last few years than Gerrard has.

I don't think there is any doubt as to which of them is the world class player and which one is on the tier below that.

But in terms of being the more adaptable player capable of slotting into different positions, then Gerrard gets the nod on that score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I actually don't think Kaka is better than Messi, I think they are totally different players and to try compare them in pointless. Kaka is far more creative, far more inteligent and a lot stronger. Messi is faster, has better close control and balance it's all swings and round abouts but I do think that when he is fit Kaka is untouchable and one of the best player sI have ever seen, his combination if technique and physique is almost perfect.

Messi>Ronaldo>>>>>>>>>>>>Kaka

yes??????

Embarassing, solid proof that opinions can be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Xavi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gerrard

Sorry no comparison there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement