Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to find out when Nokia N97 and Omnia HD will be available on o2

• 12-06-2009 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Anyway to find out when the Nokia N97 and Omnia HD will be available on o2?
    I'm due a good upgrade and I want to try and hold off for these phones. No point using a diamond upgrade on something that is just about to be replaced! My rep is a rude b1tch frankly & I hate talking to her. She did say the two phones are in testing currently and there is no date on when available!

If they aren't available on o2, would they be able on Vodafone sooner? I've 3 mobile on a business 2500 minute package. Monthly spend about €600 pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Praetorian wrote: »
    Anyway to find out when the Nokia N97 and Omnia HD will be available on o2?
    I'm due a good upgrade and I want to try and hold off for these phones. No point using a diamond upgrade on something that is just about to be replaced! My rep is a rude b1tch frankly & I hate talking to her. She did say the two phones are in testing currently and there is no date on when available!

If they aren't available on o2, would they be able on Vodafone sooner? I've 3 mobile on a business 2500 minute package. Monthly spend about €600 pm.

If they really are currently in testing then it could be a couple of months yet, depending on how well testing goes, and it could still be some time before you are advised of an actual release date. They might possibly be available on another network before O2 releases them, but again, if they're in testing, it's hard for a release date to be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

N97 is going to be an o2 so no worries for you. Will be a few weeks but is coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for the replies lads. I'd prefer the omnia hd myself, the n97 doesn't look like it's going to be anthing special. Just a shame they won't commit to a date. They must already have these phones for months. How much testing does a network need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vodafone aren't launching the N97 anyway. I found that out today for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Is it my imagination or are vodafon really losing ground in Ireland. o2 aren't great, but jesus voda are really rubbish, especially with high end phone availability!

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or are vodafon really losing ground in Ireland. o2 aren't great, but jesus voda are really rubbish, especially with high end phone availability!

I am reluctant to comment on that :o

How fast that Vodafone bring new phones to the market has been something that I have grumbled about for 6 or 7 years now. Being slow to introduce them is one thing but not launching some handsets just doesn't make sense to me. Saying that, it not making sense to me does not necessarily mean that there isn't reasonable explanation for not launching some handsets here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Being slow to introduce them is one thing but not launching some handsets just doesn't make sense to me.

Costs a lot of money, maybe not worth it from their point of view, maybe be holding for another. The N86 is coming very soon which won TIPA Award for the Best Mobile Imaging Device in 2009

Davy wrote: »
    Costs a lot of money, maybe not worth it from their point of view, maybe be holding for another. The N86 is coming very soon which won TIPA Award for the Best Mobile Imaging Device in 2009

While I admit that the N86's camera is a cut above the rest, being that it has a variable aperture lens allowing for better low light shots, awards for handsets are not necessarily indicative of their prowess in a certain field.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Are you sure about that?
    Been holding out on my upgrade since JAN for it so i hope they do come through and offer it.

One of the vodafone MODs on there forums has left the door open for hope though

Ev from Vodafone wrote on 11 June 2009 - 06:27 PM:

Thanks for your post regarding the new line of smartphones we are introducing over the coming months.

We are happy to announce the release the New HTC Magic in September/October.

As for the N97 we don't have a release data as of yet, but watch this space!

Fingers crossed

Are you sure about that?
    Been holding out on my upgrade since JAN for it so i hope they do come through and offer it.

One of the vodafone MODs on there forums has left the door open for hope though

As far as I am concerned, the person who told me word is gospel on such matters.

If it is launched here by Vodafone, I can only assume that he intentionally lied to me for any number of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Whats the story with all the testing? It must be highly unlikely Nokia's flagship phone wont work on O2s or any other network.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Whats the story with all the testing? It must be highly unlikely Nokia's flagship phone wont work on O2s or any other network.

As Vodafone have their Vodafone live! service, which incorporates java games, ringtones etc, they may wish to ensure that these features are compatible; besides the obvious, call, sms, Internet etc.

There are also a number of other factors that could possibly be the cause, e.g. 3G to 2.5G handover issues, email client issues, battery life issues, firmware issues etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Rsaeire wrote: »
    As Vodafone have their Vodafone live! service, which incorporates java games, ringtones etc, they may wish to ensure that these features are compatible; besides the obvious, call, sms, Internet etc.

There are also a number of other factors that could possibly be the cause, e.g. 3G to 2.5G handover issues, email client issues, battery life issues, firmware issues etc.

But why does it take so long? That sort of thing could be done within a week couldnt it?

Venom wrote: »
    But why does it take so long? That sort of thing could be done within a week couldnt it?

The testing process can take longer depending on whether issues have been found and whether they are minor or serious. If an issue is found, the network may need to contact Nokia and discuss the issue and this may lead to Nokia sending the operator a revised firmware. Once the handset is flashed with the new firmware, the network may still be experiencing the same issue and so the process starts again; this is just one scenario that might occur during the testing process.

Advertisement