Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clifden Air Show and GAAW

• 12-06-2009 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Its gas when you think about this the GAAW were having panic attacks last week protesting about the Red Arrows displaying at Salthill and the fact that some of the pilots have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Clifden Air Show is on tomorrow and not a word about the pilots of the Blades display team which was set up by ex members of the Red Arrows and some of them have served in the above war zones. They only protest about anything to do with Salthill because it gets them in the news, you will not hear a word from them until next year when they will go ranting on again about military aircraft thats if any show is on next year.

Most pilots of civil display teams around the World have military service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

A fighter type jet just flew over me there. Anyone else see it. It was quite low. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

GAAW being illogical?! No way! :pac:

I haven't even heard about this airshow, any more details of who'll be there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sure how would they (GAAW) get there? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

First I've heard of this too... they kept that quiet!

Found this: http://www.connemaraairshow.com/

Just took some pics of that cool (bi-plane?) that went overhead, trying to figure out how to add them here if anyone can drop me a hint. Have them in a folder on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Create an account on http://photobucket.com/, upload them there and put the links/images here.

Or more easily, you attach them to your post. Click on the "Manage Attachments" button beneath the text box when replying and add them from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Go to wthax.org , pick your file, it'll upload and give you the code to put here...
    (no registration required)

I've created an album on boards (I think?) so maybe this will do it. I didn't edit or zoom pics because I wanted to see if I could get them up first. If anyone wants me to zoom in etc etc etc let me know and I'll see what I can do.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=645

These work but are quite tame, i'll do the upload to photobucket or whatever.

http://omg.wthax.org/IMG_5848.jpg
    http://omg.wthax.org/IMG_5854.jpg
    http://omg.wthax.org/IMG_5860.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

There is a Vickers Vimy out at Carnmore now, yet no protest she was a WW1 Bomber.

There are also some folland gnats part of a display team there too, these are also ex Military aircraft...

I wonder if i displayed an F15E after she had been disbanded or WFU would they still protest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Steyr would you know if and when that plane is returning to carnmore today or tomorrow, would love to get a pick of it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Vickers Vimy replica flew over the town a while back , cool.

Hitting the surf so can only put up the couple that are above in the thread. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

The GAAW should fúck off and stop annoying everyone, shower of moaning cúnts. Seriously, have they nothing else to do? Do they have a website or anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Vimy Bomber was deployed in Iraq AFAIK , that makes it a war machine like all the others .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i dont think they have a site, probably cause the internet/networks were developed by the american military "war machine" back in the sixties, they also dont use computers cause they were pioneered by code breaking machine/number crunching by the british "war mongers" during/after ww2

You see nearly all inventions we take for granted these days have they're routes in the military, something the gaaw ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Oh Yes! Delighted. :D:D

Was unaware of this but I'm going to Clifden tomorrow anyway by coincidence.

Should be great.

The GAAW have so few friends really. For the most part I am a 'mind my own business' type of guy, but on my way back to town in the sun after the Red Arrows, I saw these guys' balloon setup at Spanish Arch and heard the ranting in the megaphone. I muttered something in annoyance under my breadth and a guy standing on the Claddagh bridge spoke up and wholeheartedly agreed with me. Two other passersby said something even more vitriolic (and one of them even looked a bit hippyish ironically!). The GAAW bring out the worst in people and are an embarrassment to the city. The Red Arrows were fantastic free public entertainment and these guys pull out this ludicrously tenuous link with a morality issue. Get a life.

BTW they can tell you a lot about wars waged by UK, US, Israel. But little about any of the 30+ wars going on right now on the continent of Africa. They are a sham and should disband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sure how would they (GAAW) get there? :D

Hot air balloon?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

There is a clifden air show? :confused:
    They advertised that well.
    I won't be able to make it, shame The Blades are pretty good.

I bet this would be the GAAW's favourite part http://www.connemaraairshow.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=160

Anyway I'm off the RIAT in July, the worlds largest military airshow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Jez GAAW really f...ked up on this they must have left Galway (Hopefully)
    check out Team Viper Pilots and the Blades.
    The Pilots

36,000 hours flying experience including: Over 500 displays

Red Arrows
    RAF front-line fast-jet
    Extensive vintage jet experience
    Commercial airline operations
    Chris Heames - Age 57, Squadron Leader

11,000 hours
    5,500 fast jet hours
    EE Lightning
    F4 Phantom
    Tornado
    Hawk
    Hunter
    Gerald Williams - Age 40
    1,000 hours
    Hawker Hunter
    Aero L-39
    BAC Strikemaster
    DH Vampire
    DH Venom
    Phil Millward - Age 39 Squadron Leader

2,600 Hours
    Tornado
    Hawk
    Tucano
    Hunter

And The Blades Pilots

The Pilots
    Including the five full-time display pilots, there are eight ex-RAF, fully-qualified commercial pilots who fly passengers during The Blades' corporate flying events.

The eight Blades’ pilots have two OBEs, a Distinguished Flying Cross and a ‘Mentioned in Dispatches’ between them. With over 20,000 hours of military flying between them, their heritage is outstanding. Two of them commanded RAF Harrier Squadrons in the most exacting of circumstances (in Iraq and Afghanistan) and one of them led the Red Arrows. Six of the Blades were Harrier pilots, two were Jaguar pilots, all were RAF instructors and Blades 1 to 4 are all former Red Arrow pilots.

Display Pilots

Myles Garland – Blade 1
    Dave Slow – Blade 2
    Andy Evans – Blade 2/3
    Andy Offer - Director/Blade 3
    Mark Cutmore – Blade 4

Corporate Pilots

Chris Norton - Director
    Chris Margiotta
    Richard Mackintosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Vimy Bomber was deployed in Iraq AFAIK , that makes it a war machine like all the others .

So were Hummers..I've seen one going around town without a group of protesters trying to block it. Hrumph!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Steyr wrote: »
    There are also some folland gnats part of a display team there too, these are also ex Military aircraft...

Think you maybe mistaking the folland gnats for the Strikemasters of Team Viper.

As far as the vickers vimmy, sorry I missed that. Can't get up to Carnmore and have been keeping an eye out in case it flew over but obviously missed that as well. Shame, it was suppose to be at Biggin Hill last year but did'nt turn up on the day I was there, so this thing is jinxed with me.

Nice to see something aviation wise going on in the west and best of luck to them. Lets hope we get our own back next year.

As far as the GAAW are concerned, well, this is a very small air show but packed full of the stuff that they would be mouthing about if it was Salthill.

skelliser wrote: »
    You see nearly all inventions we take for granted these days have they're routes in the military, something the gaaw ignore.

Shhhhhhhhhh I wonder have any of them protested at Boeing or Mc Donnell Douglas or Airbus for their Military Aircraft???

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Think you maybe mistaking the folland gnats for the Strikemasters of Team Viper.

My mistake, i thought they were due.

Steyr wrote: »
    Shhhhhhhhhh I wonder have any of them protested at Boeing or Mc Donnell Douglas or Airbus for their Military Aircraft???

Or SAAB, Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Rover, etc etc for providing vehicles to armed forces all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'd have gone to Clifden for this if they'd advertised the bloody thing. I mean come on, I live in Galway, get all the free papers in the door and yet I only find out the date the day before on a forum? Ridiculous.

I'd have gone to Clifden for this if they'd advertised the bloody thing. I mean come on, I live in Galway, get all the free papers in the door and yet I only find out the date the day before on a forum? Ridiculous.

I'm sorry about the fact that you didn't know about this show. I've known about it since the beginning of the year I had'nt really considered posting it. Maybe I will start an Irish airshow thread on Aircraft and Aviation and let others post any they know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

i think boards.ie needs an anti GAAW forum. It would be well deserved anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

No show for the Gaaw as it might rain in Clifden, also local politican O Cuig claims to
    be a proud member of the Gaaw, and that the organiser should be congratulated, as
    they have kept out planes of mass descruction. Double standards or what. I'd say that
    he may have had a quiet word to stop them going as Clifden and that area could do with
    an injection of tourism and flag waving ballon releasing jerks will give it a bad name.Also
    it is a 90 year anniversary of Alcock and Brown so it may be just a once off show.

JackyJoe wrote: »
    No show for the Gaaw as it might rain in Clifden, also local politican O Cuig claims to
    be a proud member of the Gaaw, and that the organiser should be congratulated, as
    they have kept out planes of mass descruction. Double standards or what. I'd say that
    he may have had a quiet word to stop them going as Clifden and that area could do with
    an injection of tourism and flag waving ballon releasing jerks will give it a bad name.Also
    it is a 90 year anniversary of Alcock and Brown so it may be just a once off show.

Don't they make you sick:mad: I suppose the Red Arrows are planes of mass destruction? Vickers Vimmy's were bombers in the first world war. Total double standards and selective condemnation depending on what suits them at the time.

• Advertisement

I thought I heard jets all right - this wasn't widely advertised as far as I can see.

Fair play to Alcock and Brown.

Some of the line up:
    blades1.jpg
    Team_Guinot_Folded_Arms.jpg
    strikemaster1.jpg
    260_01.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement