Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The party is over

• 12-06-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have a brand new human arriving in a couple of weeks - its our first. So its time to get rid of my hair dressers Porsche and get a new car. Well a new to me car.... Im looking for suggestions on what to get. I was thinking about getting the new Audi A5.

Well, that was my plan until I had to buy Anglo Irish Bank and several other lending "institutions". Now I think I might be best off keeping a few quid under my mattress and not spending so much on a car.

I don't want to get a 4 door and would probably be looking to spend between 10-20k. All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    I don't want to get a 4 door
    The novelty of a 2 door might wear off pretty quickly when dealing with a baby in the back seat. The doors would also be longer making it more difficult managing the baby's needs in tight car-parks.

PS - good luck with the new arrival. Hope all goes well! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Agree with the back doors bit - it would be a pain in the backside with a small kid.

Just a suggestion - Something like a Leon FR? Hidden rear door handles make it look like less of a 5 door plus should not be too much down on the Porsche performance wise. Plus there is plenty of room in the back.

This should be achievable for under €20k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/2.0T-FSI/200903191500004/advert?channel=CARS

Also, check out a Skoda Octavia - I know its obviously a family car but the boot is huge - good for baby gear. This ones a diesel too.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/VRS-TDI-/200921192901084/advert?channel=CARS

Both are basically a Golf underneath, and come with the GTi's 200 brake petrol angine as well as a 2 litre 170 brake diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think there are a few cars that conceal the back door handles pretty well. The current Civic is another one I can think up. Listen I know that right now you want to try and keep the 'cool' factor for as long as possible but trust me once that little one starts wailing it's lungs for the first time, your out look will change dramatically and you'll start to realize what's more important then posing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mmm, new kid on the way, what more of an excuse do you need...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-HSE-/200920192811354/advert?channel=CARS

congrats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

What about an RX-8. Its got back seats, 5doors and a boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

haha - I dont know if I could...

mmm, new kid on the way, what more of an excuse do you need...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Land-Rover/Range-Rover/3.0-HSE-/200920192811354/advert?channel=CARS

congrats!!
    flazio wrote: »
    I think there are a few cars that conceal the back door handles pretty well. The current Civic is another one I can think up. Listen I know that right now you want to try and keep the 'cool' factor for as long as possible but trust me once that little one starts wailing it's lungs for the first time, your out look will change dramatically and you'll start to realize what's more important then posing.

Head says - yes
    Heart says - I just cant do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

eh.. dude... baby = 4 doors.

S4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You may not want to hear this, but if you've a baby on the way you really want an estate. The good news is, once you've got used to the practicality of a good estate you'll never want to go back. If you want something quick, you'd get a good Audi S6 or an Octavia VRS or (my choice) a Legacy/Outback 3.0 for that kind of money. I've a Forester 2.5XT auto, and it struggles a bit to hold all the sh1t two kids require - it'd probably be OK if it was just the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

jimbling wrote: »

S4?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/S4/B7-4.2-V/200922192955245/advert?channel=CARS

EDIT: And as the above poster said...... the S4/S6 avant is savage as well.

jimbling wrote: »

S4?

Yep - the S4 is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Golf GTI? 3 or 5door... 06/07 are going quite cheap!

Anan1 wrote: »
    You may not want to hear this, but if you've a baby on the way you really want an estate.

Someone ban him :D , I have a 3year old and have driven coupe's for the last few years with no problems at all.

steve06 wrote: »
    Someone ban him :D , I have a 3year old and have driven coupe's for the last few years with no problems at all.

Woo Hoo - I was just about concede defeat to the 4 door's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

OP Have you managed to shift your Porsche yet? I'm in a similar boat and need to get rid of my Boxster. Have it on Carzone but was shocked at their new pricing structure (thats an argument for another thread however!!) and was wondering how you plan on shifting yours if you haven't already?
    Don't want to spend too much changing, was thinking of going sideways rather than trading up?
    Anyone fancy swapping a Golf GTi or similar for a boxster :p

Woo Hoo - I was just about concede defeat to the 4 door's.
    My current car is an Alfa GTV - it was a pain trying to get a buggy in the boot but f*ck it :D

Christmas food shopping was fun... this was after the boot was full!
    f09c1bfe7c.jpg

The other half had a few bags under her feet and on her lap too :)

3 year olds are grand, but babies are like little women going on holidays - everything has to be brought with them.

3 year olds are grand, but babies are like little women going on holidays - everything has to be brought with them.
    I know, he use to be a baby, still had a coupe though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

My current car is an Alfa GTV - it was a pain trying to get a buggy in the boot but f*ck it :D

f09c1bfe7c.jpg

I hear your pain but thats fine till a can of flying peas kills your 3 year old with a blow to a temple in an accident. OP IMO just buy a proper family car until the kids are older. Like some of the posters have shown you ,you can still have a fun car that fits the kids too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

/goes to Boots

I know, he use to be a baby, still had a coupe though! :D
    I dunno, maybe you're right and I am overreacting. All this 'children's rights' bullsh1t tends to get in on one after a while.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Get an estate until the child is about 4/5. Then switch back to a 2 drs for rest of your life!!

Look, you don't need to completely change your life... buy 2 cars. I have the GTV and an Almera GTI, both 3dr cars but the Almera is more manageable. I hope to get an Elise soon to replace the Alfa and maybe a TT to replace the Almera.

The other half might be getting a Santa Fe so if she does that I'll ditch the TT idea and just get an Elise. My son is old enough now that I don't need to carry around a lot of crap so the small cars do me ok, for a new born I'd go with a 5dr golf GTI or an S4 as mentioned by someone else - fun and practical... but with 20k you could get an Elise and Santa Fe too ;)

positron wrote: »
    Get an estate until the child is about 4/5. Then switch back to a 2 drs for rest of your life!!
    It's hard to go back - after a good estate, a coupe is like a pair of (tight) jeans with no pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

here's an estate and you still get to keep the prosche engine, gearbox and brakes:)

if I ever have a kid i'll definatly be using it as an excuse..

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1072522.htm

There's a 43k miles one of them in Dublin, RHD, asking €23,500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

As mentioned earlier I think the RX8 is a great compromise with those back doors. Fantastic looking car as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I have a brand new human arriving in a couple of weeks - its our first. So its time to get rid of my hair dressers Porsche and get a new car. Well a new to me car.... Im looking for suggestions on what to get. I was thinking about getting the new Audi A5.

Well, that was my plan until I had to buy Anglo Irish Bank and several other lending "institutions". Now I think I might be best off keeping a few quid under my mattress and not spending so much on a car.

I don't want to get a 4 door and would probably be looking to spend between 10-20k. All suggestions welcome!

A5 Sportback - All the looks of an A5 Coupe with the added bonus of 2 extra doors. And this is the good part - its cheaper than an A5 Coupe - first teaser pics should be released next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Doesn't matter what size car you buy, it will be filled with baby sh1te! you find out after the second and third one that you didnt really need all that rubbish that was brought for the first one.
    when my first was born, I went from colt -> lancer -> xantia and still didnt have enough space;) then we copped on and found that a changing bag, buggy and one of them baby seats that attaches to the table was all you really need.

+1 on the 4dr though, if you value your back and a nag free environment:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Why not get an A6 - huge boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I know its a 4 door but seems great value, have a passat myself similar size to this and its just about right for all babies stuff, especially when going away for weekend :-)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/vRS-170B/200924193069864/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Onkle wrote: »
    /goes to Boots

Too funny. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It's a bit of a compromise for sure but I've had no trouble for the past year with newborn+4yo to now 1yo and 5yo and all their accessories with an E46 coupé. Family doesn't have to mean four or five doors if you choose wisely.

Homer wrote: »
    OP Have you managed to shift your Porsche yet? I'm in a similar boat and need to get rid of my Boxster. Have it on Carzone but was shocked at their new pricing structure (thats an argument for another thread however!!) and was wondering how you plan on shifting yours if you haven't already?
    Don't want to spend too much changing, was thinking of going sideways rather than trading up?
    Anyone fancy swapping a Golf GTi or similar for a boxster :p

Not yet - I might even hang onto it...

• Advertisement

f09c1bfe7c.jpg

Is there not a warning on plastic bags to keep away from children ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i've got an audi s6 for sale. Nogaro blue saloon. It's flashy fast and practical. Huge boot. It's on donedeal and cbg have a look you never know. Well under budget too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have a brand new human arriving in a couple of weeks - its our first. So its time to get rid of my hair dressers Porsche and get a new car.
    You may not want to hear this, but if you've a baby on the way you really want an estate.

Well, here's the solution to your problem:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/16/ebay-find-of-the-day-porsche-wagon/

:D

Seriously, though, with a kid, you need space. We had our daughter in December, and while our Mazda 6 is big enough, I'm definitely looking to get a big estate (Volvo V70 or some such) just to make things easier, especially for weekends away.

Prams/buggies are huge even when folded, then you've got the changing bag, the bag of spare clothes, the bag of toys. And that's just for going to the shop. Coming back, you'll have all your usual shopping, plus the giant bag of nappies and two tonnes of cotton wool - and that will just last a week.

You'll probably need a trailer just for the Vaseline.

Best of luck with your new arrival!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

phutyle wrote: »
    You'll probably need a trailer just for the Vaseline.

But then you'd expect that, trading in a Porsche in the current economic climate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Keep your current car.
    Then go out and buy a family car.

Done the same thing my self.

• Advertisement
Advertisement