Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Units on ESB

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a new house that has storage heaters on nightsaver. None of the units are turned on (switch beside them is off) and afaik the only thing that runs off the nightsaver is the immersion. I got my first bill and for one month of hot water its 51 euro, while everything else in the house (computers, tvs, cooker etc) cost only €26 for same period.

Seems very expensive for just water for one month. Never had this system before, is this the norm?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

ESB billing cycle is every two months, the first bill may be only one month though, but that would be unusual.

The meter will record all energy used during off peak times as night rate units, not just the energy consumed by the immersion. So lights, cooking, washer/dryer, dishwasher, TV, fridge/freezer etc will all contribute a small amount to the night rate units on the bill, depending on your living habits. Having said that the bulk of it will be due to the immersion.

Also, some storage heaters have a combined convector heater for daytime use, if so it will have two switches beside it, make sure both are switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

It was the first months bill, thats why it was only for a month. Next one is a 2 monther.

Nothing else really on at night other than a landing light and computer.

I'll wait to get the next one then I'll investigate further.

Thanks for reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

any convection heaters in the bedrooms used during off-peak hours will add to off-peak units

Advertisement