Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserves canned for next season

Options
  • 12-06-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/reservesnews120609.html

Won't be entering the reserve league anyway.
    t has been decided that our Reserve side will not be entering the Barclays Premier Reserve League for the 2009/10 season.

The Club is committed to aiding the development of our players within the Professional and Academy squads in the best way possible.

It is felt it would be of greater benefit providing our 18 to 21-year-old players with a tailor-made games programme, which includes experiencing competitive football with loan transfers, tournaments and private friendly fixtures that allows greater flexibility around the First Team's fixture schedule.

It also enables fixtures to be arranged as and when they are required for First Team squad members.

We have outlined our thoughts to the Premier League and explained how we feel this programme provides a better alternative in meeting the changing requirements of our players.

"I just think it gives you the option of fixing up a game where and whenever you want rather than being tied to a fixture schedule which can sometimes prove difficult around First Team games," reasoned Manager Harry Redknapp.

"This way we can create our own schedule and play games when we want to. There are always clubs looking for games so I think this will suit us better.

"The youngsters need to go out on loan and get playing like they did last year. It was a great experience for those lads who went out so we will be looking to do the same again this season."

The reserve fixtures tended to be rather haphazard, games were often called off due to wear and tear on the pitches we were due to use. Still not sure this is a good move though, probably signals a big clear out of the squad to a more manageable number who will be easier to keep sharp.

In fairness, the Academy side have done well the last 18 months and we let plenty out on loan towards the end of last season. I suppose time will tell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

This is unusual,i'v never heard of any other team doing this.or have they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tippspur wrote: »
    This is unusual,i'v never heard of any other team doing this.or have they ?

Newcastle under Keegan in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I would imagine it means that there will be a huge clear out, with a squad of maybe 24. The promising young lads will be loaned out and the lads not playing regularly will be kept sharp with specific friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I would imagine it means that there will be a huge clear out, with a squad of maybe 24. The promising young lads will be loaned out and the lads not playing regularly will be kept sharp with specific friendlies.

Yep, nail on head there.

When you think we've had Rocha on professional terms and he's been reserve fodder since Jol left it does leave one wondering if reserve team football is a good idea or not.

Advertisement