Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be the first boardsie to get swine flu?

Options
  • 12-06-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

So, with the diseased Victoria being responsible for tipping the world into an official pandemic, has anyone here gotten a dose of the piggypox?

My brother in Perth was sure he had it recently. But I called off the snipers, as he declared it a false alarm in the nick of time. You'll never know how close you came, bro ;)

So, does anyone know a confirmed case? Or has anyone's plans been affected by it? A girl I worked with has cancelled her trip of a lifetime to Europe because of it...and she's an infectious disease nurse. I told her she's a nutcase, but she went and did it anyway. Hope the rest of you have been untouched. But would be interested to hear if you've taken any steps to avoid becoming diseased.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

tallaght01 wrote: »
    So, with the diseased Victoria being responsible for tipping the world into an official pandemic, has anyone here gotten a dose of the piggypox?

My brother in Perth was sure he had it recently. But I called off the snipers, as he declared it a false alarms in the nick of time. You'll never know how close you came, bro ;)

So, does anyone know a confirmed case? Or has anyone's plans been affected by it? A girl I worked with has canceled her trip of a lifetime to Europe because of it...and she's an infectious disease nurse. I told her she's a nutcase, but she went and did it anyway. Hope the rest of you have been untouched. But would be interested to hear if you've taken any steps to avoid becoming diseased.
    the day i get swineflew pigs will fly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

getz wrote: »
    the day i get swineflew pigs will fly

gardachopper_169966t.jpg:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...A girl I worked with has cancelled her trip of a lifetime to Europe because of it...and she's an infectious disease nurse. I told her she's a nutcase, but she went and did it anyway.
    She cancelled a trip to somewhere where it is currently summer, so the number of cases of flu are going down, so that she can stay somewhere that it is currenlty winter and the number of flu cases will be on the rise?

Think you were right in your diagnosis of a severe case of "nutcase" there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The Aussies quarantined an infected family in a fcuking Sydney hotel, and (though only heard this word of mouth) quarantined another famil in that YHA near Central station. If you are trying to contain the spread of a disease putting them somewhere with a gang of people constantly on the move to the 4 corners of Oz and beyond is a great move.

Then letting that state of origin match go ahead, even some of the players caught the flu. Really, the disorganisation of the average Aussie in charge of anything is mind boggling, Ive never seen a more scatter brained culture (I thought nobody coud beat the counry that spent alot of money building an unersized tunnel, but really like!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm feeling a bit fluey today but I don't think we need to call in the infectious disease squad. A girl at work got sent home this week because her bf was quarantined by the government as he came in contact with someone with swine flu. She got three paid days off and didn't even have to take sick days.

I would love to be quarantined at home for the week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I work in a small rural hospital in Victoria, so yeah, swine flu is affecting my daily life. Not least because I think if I use any more bloody antibacterial hand gel my hands may fall off at the elbows...

Our hygiene practice has increased - disinfecting things more regularly - anywhere we don't have electronic sensor doors, our cleaners are wiping down door handles and such like more often for instance. There are all the routine hygiene practices still in place, but we're all trying to be careful with 'washing hands more often' and so on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I am mildly concerned that I never bothered to get the regular seasonal flu jab last northern hemisphere winter and am now about to come and spend another winter down south with all you people sneezing all over the place. Not concerned enough to change my plans at all though, I'm just hoping that my mum hasn't seen too many news reports about you sick Kiwis/ Ozzies before I get on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Pighead

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

After all the news media hysteria in the States, the pig flew with the earlier bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Someone my cousin knows supposedly has it. They were on some ferry trip/cruise, and got it there. So its close enough to me now. Sydney region too.

I don't feel well right now at all....thats the hangover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

kraggy wrote: »
    Pighead

Oh he's utterly ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

only way it's affected me in any way is that working in a hep c clinic, the infectious diseases doctor we work alongside doesnt have time for us at the moment, and it takes aaaaaages to get some of our genotypes and viral loads back from the lab, cos they're so busy testing everyone who flies into the country or somesuch.

other than that, life goes on as normal. thought my boss had a point when she said she wouldnt mind catching it now and hopefully build up some sort of resistance before it mutates.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

"I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down" said the big bad wolf
    "F*ck off or we'll sneeze on you" said the three little piggies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I am sick of people turning up with "pig flu" to the ED. What part of phone ahead first does nobody understand?

I'm waiting to catch it myself - sweating like a pig here in North Queensland "winter"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I've heard it's really no worse than regular flu. I live in the heart of Melbourne's Northern suburbs and have not heard of anyone I know getting it. I think everyone's getting a little too hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I live in Melbourne and my flat-mate teaches kids from every school in the city about voting so I think he’s pretty high risk and as I live with him I’m not to0 hopeful about my chances. If he so much as sneezes I’m going to murder his ass and burn the corpse.

Actually I don’t really mind getting it now so I’m immune once it mutates and starts killing everybody (Not that I think it will). If I catch it I can come around your houses and sneeze in your face for a small fee in order for you too to become immune to the killer version!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh crap, our GP was going to take monday off cos another GP at his regular practice was sick with flu but then he couldnt go to either cos he'd caught it too, and a chick at our office (who i spent all friday/saturday drinking with) went home after about an hour at work today with flu-y symptoms and feeling like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cassle

Been sick with A flu for about a week and a half now. Doctor's appointment tomorrow at 9am. Moving from Tassie to NZ in a few weeks so I definitely don't want pig flu. Unless it means I have to stay here and will extend my visa, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i deal with the public in Melbourne, so if anyone is going to get it, its going to be me.
    which would be nice coz i could do with a couple of days off work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My brother in Perth was sure he had it recently. But I called off the snipers, as he declared it a false alarm in the nick of time. You'll never know how close you came, bro ;)

Eh, I had the sniffles! And are u gettin that mixed up with my sore back? I wouldnt be that unlucky to have swine flu and a bogey spine! Tho I spose I could claim I had Swine-abifida!

I heard theres nearly 100 cases of piggypox in QLD? Da will be dissappointed ur not doin ur job! Tho i spose ur only workin half time, and u can always blame that other bloke! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Well, ma has notions of me running the WHO someday, so she'll be gutted we've lost the battle :P

Here in QLD we've decided to take our foot off the gas a bit with regard to this. The craziness of the last few weeks was in order to try and stop it getting into the community, which it has now.

So, we're just switching to the "protect" phase currently, which translates into the "it's already here, let's just protect vulnerable people from getting it". unfortunately the media have dressed it up as us increasing the "threat level" while "decreasing the defence level" so the public thinks we're nuts. Everyone has an opinion on our strategy, though.

I rang up a private lab this morning, who were testing samples for us from a special school (so big time risk to the kids if they get it). The receptionist said "why do you even need these samples now, do you not know they're reduced the threat level" :rolleyes:

But the plan here is to stop quarantining people, and to focus on the young, elderly and sick instead.

Advertisement