Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording Vocals over Dance Tracks

• 12-06-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm currently using ableton 8 at the minute. Would be interested in putting some vocals over my music. Just wondering how this might be done. Could you do this by hooking a mic up to a soundcard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

What type of soundcard do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

I actually don't have a soundcard. Would you recommend any in particular? I wouldn't mind forking out as I want to take it fairly serious ;)

Are you PC or Mac?

Do you have Firewire or USB?

If you've got Live - You'll definitely need a couple of sets of outs so you can monitor what your doing, just like a real mixer.

Are you going to DJ or Produce?

Whats your $$$ limit around?

I'm using a PC but might be getting my hands on a mac soon. I would spend up to €300.

Edit to say, I've got a usb connection.

Bobon wrote: »
    I'm using a PC but might be getting my hands on a mac soon. I would spend up to €300.

Edit to say, I've got a usb connection.

If you are going to get a Mac - I'd recommend holding off & getting something that's FW. My experience of USB & Mac's is that they dont really go together. There can sometimes be a problem with not enough power on the Buss.. which causes the device to disconnect. Keep that in mind when you do get a Mac.. Do a bit of research on the internet about the card & possible conflicts with the Mac in google. Searchs like "Soundcard X problem with MacBook / MacBookPro / MacPro / iMac" etc.. can be very useful before you buy.

Thats what happened with my Audio Kontol 1 with the Mac. Absolutely fine on PC. Super soundcard with a couple of lines in, phantom power & monitoring - but just didnt work properly on Mac - Which was a shame. Has a midi controller on it too.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=ak1dj&ftu=9c028636788fe6b

You can get it cheaper from Musicstore:http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/IEP/Native-Instruments-Audio-Kontrol-1-USB-2.0-Audio-Interface/art-PCM0005956-000#

This is what I have - Its FW:http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/IEP/Focusrite-Saffire-LE-Firewire-Audio-Interface/art-PCM0005441-000

Its great - But its not something that you would move around the place too much.

If you are going to be DJ'ing with a Laptop, the AK1 is built like a Tank - Thick Stainless Steel - So would be a bit more sturdy.

Maybe some of the other Guys could add some suggestions. These are the only 2 cards that I would have good experience of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

are they your own tracks or someone else that your going to sing over?

Cheers for the info ICN. I suppose I will probably be sticking to the PC for a little while anyway.

Seannash, I would be attempting to throw lyrics over my own songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you're going to need a usb/firewire audio interface. And a mic.

Or a usb mic (Samson do a cheap good one if memory serves me right).

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

ICN wrote: »
    If you are going to get a Mac - I'd recommend holding off & getting something that's FW. My experience of USB & Mac's is that they dont really go together. There can sometimes be a problem with not enough power on the Buss.. which causes the device to disconnect. Keep that in mind when you do get a Mac.. Do a bit of research on the internet about the card & possible conflicts with the Mac in google. Searchs like "Soundcard X problem with MacBook / MacBookPro / MacPro / iMac" etc.. can be very useful before you buy.

Thats what happened with my Audio Kontol 1 with the Mac. Absolutely fine on PC. Super soundcard with a couple of lines in, phantom power & monitoring - but just didnt work properly on Mac - Which was a shame. Has a midi controller on it too.

If you're getting a recent mac you won't have a problem with power. USB 1.0 ports are fairly slow but USB 2.0 is faster than firewire and can generate enough power. Just make sure the mac has a few 2.0 ports, which most do.
    Most interfaces are compatible with mac and PC but obviously the manufactures will have all that information.
    I have a Novation Nio for my laptop which is good value and good budget option for recording vocals/ instruments and djing.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/articles/novationnio.htm

gsparx wrote: »
    If you're getting a recent mac you won't have a problem with power. USB 1.0 ports are fairly slow but USB 2.0 is faster than firewire and can generate enough power. Just make sure the mac has a few 2.0 ports, which most do.
    Most interfaces are compatible with mac and PC but obviously the manufactures will have all that information.
    I have a Novation Nio for my laptop which is good value and good budget option for recording vocals/ instruments and djing.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/articles/novationnio.htm

I'll have to disagree with you there Mate.

I've got a Mac Pro - And there is definitely an issue with 2.0 & Bus powered devices. I know because I had to Email NI Tech Support about the Audio Kontrol 1 issue so I could get a refund.

When I was getting all the clicking / silence & error messages, I did a check on the Net - Other people had exact same problem. Its a known issue.. Not just confined to soundcards.

There also was a problem with MacBooks or MBP's - the port closest to the screen.

It would be nice if the problem has been rectified now. Hopefully it has.

The Moral of the lesson?

Check it well out in advance. Doesnt matter what it is.

I didnt fully - & had to spend months Emailing NI, trying to get them to admit in Email that there was a problem (as exhibit A for a refund).

Thats my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

ICN wrote: »
    I'll have to disagree with you there Mate.

I've got a Mac Pro - And there is definitely an issue with 2.0 & Bus powered devices. I know because I had to Email NI Tech Support about the Audio Kontrol 1 issue so I could get a refund.

When I was getting all the clicking / silence & error messages, I did a check on the Net - Other people had exact same problem. Its a known issue.. Not just confined to soundcards.

There also was a problem with MacBooks or MBP's - the port closest to the screen.

It would be nice if the problem has been rectified now. Hopefully it has.

The Moral of the lesson?

Check it well out in advance. Doesnt matter what it is.

I didnt fully - & had to spend months Emailing NI, trying to get them to admit in Email that there was a problem (as exhibit A for a refund).

Thats my experience anyway.

That's unfortunate all right, ICN. It's definitely not unheard of for compatibility issues to arise with certain set-ups. You make a good point, research is essential.
    There are so many sites/ magazines reviewing these things too that it should be easier to make a decision.
    I've used the Novation Nio with a mac and PC and had no problems so I can vouch for that one.

Advertisement