Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re smear test

Options
  • 12-06-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hi, sorry if this has been posted before but I'm just wondering does anyone know if the procedure for a smear test has changed at all in recent years?

The reason I ask is that I've just had my second smear in 6 months (the first showed a minor abnormality so I had to retest) and both of the smears were unbearably uncomfortable and also a bit painful. Both were highly unpleasant experiences.

The funny thing is though that I had at least 2 other smear tests in past years and they didn't hurt at all (which is what I understand to be normal). I mean, I could feel the instrument and all that but apart from being embarrassed :o it was fine. I couldn't feel the swab being taken at all.

But as I say, the last two were awful. I could feel intense pressure and also the actual collecting of the cells was painful.

I'm very sorry if I'm putting people off here but I'm just wondering if the test has become more invasive? A friend of mine speculated that they actually open the cervix now as opposed to getting a sample from the outside of it.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, the last two were done by the same practitioner - could it be something that she is doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi there

I've had mixed experiences but the last two I had I could feel the scraping so to speak. It did hurt a bit - I wasn't in agony but I was very tense.

I dont know if it has become more invasive, I wouldnt have thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I've had a few over the years and don't recall it being like that. My last one was in April and it was just uncomfortable but mainly because i was very tense

• My GP told me about a year ago that the procedure was being changed, so you may be right. Personally I've always found smears extremely painful and I'm not a wuss in the slightest (have regular colposcopies etc!) I have always been able to feel a horrible 'scraping'. Still, it is only a few minutes - definitely worth a bit of pain to make sure everything is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

[quote=[Deleted User];60666228]My GP told me about a year ago that the procedure was being changed, so you may be right. Personally I've always found smears extremely painful and I'm not a wuss in the slightest (have regular colposcopies etc!) I have always been able to feel a horrible 'scraping'. Still, it is only a few minutes - definitely worth a bit of pain to make sure everything is OK.[/quote]

Is the colposcopy basically the same as the smear? Does it take longer? I'm hoping I won't need one but just in case......
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

I have to say I have found the exact opposite! My first 2 smears were done before the roll out of the screening programme, and I found them quite uncomfortable. The latest one, a few weeks ago, was done under screening programme and was totally painless, just embarrassing:o. The nurse told me that previously they used a metal speculum which a lot of women found uncomfortable, now as part of the new programme they use a plastic one and a swab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I'd say mine was much more invasive the last time (ripped to shreads) and took a lot longer than the previous two. Different doctor mind you. Although in saying that I still was out within 15 mins after questions etc

• Tupins wrote: »
    Is the colposcopy basically the same as the smear? Does it take longer? I'm hoping I won't need one but just in case......

It depends, my first one took forever, the next few were much quicker. It depends on what they see on the camera thing really - they usually explain what they see and what needs to be done about it as well as taking swab (basically a smear).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

The first smear I had taken I was very nervous and therefore I was very tense 'down there' so the procedure took longer and I did feel a bit of a pinch. It wasn't very pleasant. However, the second one I had done I was much more relaxed and didn't feel a thing!! Just relax and I'm sure everything will be fine:o. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I agree with this one, recent one was very uncomfortable unlike ever before... still waiting on results which is the horrible part!! I thought maybe I just forgot what it was like the last time cause it's been a while but looks like something embarrassing just got a little worse:D The joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

My last one was very painful too. My first two were fine, no pain at all. But this one was bad. Nurse thought I had thrush but I had none of the sympthoms. I treated it anyway. so glad it was clear, have to go back in 12 months though and am already not looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Theyll ring me with the results right? Or do i have to ring the doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I always found them a little uncomfortable but i have to say the last one was quite painful. I think for me it was because I hadnt been getting clear readings so she really got stuck in there to be sure she got a good cell reading this time. She said as well the thing about the plastic vs the old steel yoke.

Anyway- as sore as it was for a few minutes it was worth it because she did actually get a proper clear reading.

It's not a fun thing to do- for most people anyway!, but it is so worth it. Dont be put off for the sake of a bit of discomfort.

As far as i know they will send you out a letter either saying it's clear or asking you back for a retest. If you get anything other than clear call your smeartaker and they will go through the results in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I got a letter to say that everything was normal and to have another one done in 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Girls ye have me scared now :( I haven't been for one yet, I know I should but I keep putting it off. The whole Jade Goody thing made me think I really need to cop on and get it done. I've recently gone to a new doctor as mine retired and I really don't like the new one, she's very cold and not friendly at all and this was only me getting my pill repeated so I don't think I'd want to go to her for a smear! Are the Well Woman and IFPA centres the best place to get this done? Even the thought of it is making me ill (I know I could be a lot more ill if I didn't do anything about it!) do any of ye have any recommendations of a good doctor who makes smears as stress free as possible? I'm thinking of the Well Woman/IFPA centres as they're obviously more experienced. Thanks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

I find it depends on the practitioner plus the last time i had it done i was in a lot of pain and the doc pulled it out and re-applied loads of lube onto the contraption thingy. I didnt feel it after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Peggypeg

I've had a load of them done, for some reason they always come back with 'borderline changes' so I get them done around every 6 months. I've found the family planning clinic in Tallaght brill. They're really friendly and if you say 'ouch' they'll put on more lube. Seriously though, the best thing to do is relax, I know it's easier said than done but deep breathing really works for me, couple of big deep breathes and it's over before you know it. Have to say though it really is only a bit of discomfort and a little shocking but it's over in a sec and it's so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

I find them extremely uncomfortable as well, my doc says its due to the fact that I have a hooked cervix apparently its not uncommon and doesnt affect me at all except for the smears. I just try to relax and go to my happy place for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

To all of you who find your smears to be uncomfortable/painful - it may be worth your while to enquire with the GP/Practise nurse whether you have a retroverted uterus (where your uterus tips backwards towards your bowel, rather than sitting forwards) as it can also affect the position of your cervix, making it a bit more difficult to find. Sometimes the speculum has to be jiggled :eek: around a bit more before it can be seen. A bit more pushing around to take the sample also.

Advertisement