Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Care Course? (Galway)

• 12-06-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I'm learning to drive this summer and I'm afraid I know very little about cars.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who could teach me, either.

I have a pretty good mechanical mind though, and I pick things up quickly, so I think it'd be worth learning a few things. I'd like to learn how to change a tire, how to change a battery, the different parts under the hood, basic stuff. I really need a total beginner's class.

Is there anyone offering this type of thing? Even a really good, up-to-date book would suffice I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can't help with an answer, but fair play for your approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You should get a haynes manual for your car, they're excellent. Also, get to grips with the fundamentals of an engine through the website http://auto.howstuffworks.com

All of this will give you a great grounding in the mechanical basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't have a car yet - I was hoping to learn a bit before buying one so I can learn what to look out for in terms of problems, that sort of thing.

I'll definitely take a gander at the website :)

Thanks for the suggestions... any others are welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 poxx

I heard there might something coming up soon like this in kilkenny and maby in dublin too, will keep you posted ( a little far away from you though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

An instructor I had while serving my time did one in Athlone IT AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Join the AA. Seriously its worth every penny. If you want to learn stick to the internet. Get out the manual of whatever car you buy and look for where all the things they ask you in the Driving Test are.

Changing tires is dirty business in a garage let alone on the side of the road. It takes quite a bit to loosen the lugs and then manhandle the spare up onto the hub. Let the AA man worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know that some of the IT colleges do night courses in motor maintenance. Did you enquire at GMIT?

Advertisement