Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name that tune with Shazam...

• 12-06-2009 12:53pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Anyone else seen this in action or use it themselves?

www.shazam.com

I was told about it the other day and my initial doubts were proven wrong when it was shown to me in operation on an iPhone - I thought I'd throw a couple of relatively obscure dub techno tracks at it and assumed it would fail miserably - quite the opposite, the following track was correctly id'd by Shazam from a 20 second clip excerpt at the beginning of the track when its not even that distinct...

I did also try another more recent track from the same artist which it didn't manage to id but seriously impressed it got the other one. The only other tune I threw at it was Narcotic Influence by Empirion which it also got immediately.

Impressive software and I expect many will use it now in clubs, pubs etc to find out what's being played.

My on-the-fence attitude to the iPhone will probably change having seen this, I know its available for other handsets but it looks really great on the iPhone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have a Samsung phone with a similar application on it.

It's really handy when you're out and about and you hear a song that you don't know. It saves the results in your phone so you can then check the next day after having no recollection of searching for the track whatsover! Plus it gives you the option to download the song also.

The one on my phone is not great with obscure tracks but gets all the new stuff pretty easily.

It's a great idea really, and I suppose all new stuff is logged in the database and it's just logging all the older stuff that's the hard part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

wouldn't really be much use if you're trying to figure out what some unreleased bizzle is, surely?

wouldn't really be much use if you're trying to figure out what some unreleased bizzle is, surely?
    Nope

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

No obviously in the case of tunes that are being spun by a DJ for the first time to clubbers it will struggle but for a large percent of music it could be quite handy to have. I'm sure also as the user community increases it will become much more effective for niche music genres etc - look at youtube for example, I frequently find tracks uploaded there that have only been released as promos so as more of the same people use the likes of Shazam it will improve.

Or moreso Discogs. I reckon the site/application will as big as something like Discogs in a couple of years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yeah I have it on my iphone, works a treat. Nifty little app

Advertisement