Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gait Analysis

Options
  • 12-06-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Is there anywhere in Galway city that I can get a gait analysis carried out?

Cheers.

ACB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

There's a physio in Liosbaun Estate who does that (gait as in funny feet, right?). I think they're called "Galway City Physios) - they're just down from the Carparts Warehouse.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You can also get it done for free in Elvery's - the big one beside the Omniplex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 athcliathbhoy

Cheers lads. I'll pop down to Elverys tomorrow. Do you know if you need an appointment for this, or will it be fine if I just show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Umm, putting this tactfully:

Expect quite a big difference in the qualifications and skill of the people doing it in Elverys vs the physio. If you have a problem that's causing you to want the gait analysis done, you might find that the physio can give better advice than the shop assistants.

And a big +1 from me for Galway City Physio, too. I had very good assessment and treatment from them, and they're open good hours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 athcliathbhoy

Cheers JustMary . I was just looking to pick up a new pair of runners and was advised to get this done. Thanks for the advice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

JustMary wrote: »

Expect quite a big difference in the qualifications and skill of the people doing it in Elverys vs the physio. If you have a problem that's causing you to want the gait analysis done, you might find that the physio can give better advice than the shop assistants.

And a big +1 from me for Galway City Physio, too. I had very good assessment and treatment from them, and they're open good hours too.

While I would agree with that Elvery's is probably not the most thorough analysis available, I went to check it out, having never done it before. I felt in no way obliged to buy shoes.
    A few weeks later, due to injruy I had to go to the physio, who analysed my gait in a less scientific manner, but came to the same conclusion as the camera and treadmill method in Elvery's.

Maybe it was cos I went at a quiet time, mid-week afternoon, and got someone who seemed to genuinely know what they were talking about, but I came away happy enough - and even more so when a physio confirmed exactly the same thing, even down to the differences between gait of each leg.

... analysed my gait in a less scientific manner

FWIW, just because someone uses human observation rather than a machine doesn't mean it's "less scientific: the human who's been trained to do it manually will have been exposed to lot more science than the one who's only been trained to use a machine.

I wear custom-made orthotics. These are shoe-inserts, and correct some issues with how I walk. In some sports stores that do foot scanning (not Elverys - yet!) I've been told that I had to do the foot scan before they could recommend any shoes, even though it's obvious that the scan results are meaningless because they don't take account of the orthotics. Hence the scepticism.

Glad you're on the right road to getting sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

galah wrote: »
    There's a physio in Liosbaun Estate who does that (gait as in funny feet, right?). I think they're called "Galway City Physios) - they're just down from the Carparts Warehouse.

Good luck.

+1 for Liosbán. I got orthotics there and have them for about 5 years now.

As for the "free" test in Elverys...
    How often do you think their diagnosis would include you buying a pair of running shoes they happen to stock.
    Oh and technically speaking if there is no measurement involved then it is NOT scientific whether it solves your problem or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cian Noone

i find your comment both insulting and totally ignorant. The employees in elverys know as much about gait analysis as a physio because they are trained to know exactly what to look out for when looking at the gait of a person.Physios "advise" their patients to go to elverys as they have far more knowledge when it comes to recommending the correct running shoes. How can you know "to expect" a big difference between the physio and the employees in elverys when you more than likely have not had your gait analysis checked in both? Many physio's aroung galway are recommending going to elverys as they would know a lot more about the types of runners you would need after having a gait analysis done. AND physios are recommending customers to have their gait analysis done there as to double check that their diagnosis was correct! So the less ignorance the better justmary

Hmm, reg in Nov 09 to respond to an old thread. :rolleyes:

Which branch do you work in, and how many years training did you have before you were allowed to go on the shop floor?

fyi, my physio suggested that I could shop for a particular type of shoe in Elverys. She also suggested that I make an appointment for her to accompany me when I went there. She clearly didn't think that you know more than she does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would suspect a physio is better than a shop assistant at things that relates to the body. NB spurscormac above says they both came to the same conclusion.

Hmm, reg in Nov 09 to respond to an old thread. :rolleyes:

Which branch do you work in, and how many years training did you have before you were allowed to go on the shop floor?

fyi, my physio suggested that I could shop for a particular type of shoe in Elverys. She also suggested that I make an appointment for her to accompany me when I went there. She clearly didn't think that you know more than she does.
    i don't work there and you obviously do not realise the amount of people that come in looking for a shoe recommended by a physio and it is a totally wrong shoe. One physio sent in a customer to get either two types of shoes one neutral and one for anti-pronation. Elverys sell runners and employees are trained in that area. Physios simply are not.

Magnus wrote: »
    I would suspect a physio is better than a shop assistant at things that relates to the body. NB spurscormac above says they both came to the same conclusion.
    Of course they would. Physios cover aspects of the whole body, whereas all the shop assistant needs to know about is the information that will help people find the right runner. There are new styles and types of runners coming out EVERYday and the first people to know about the new additions and specs are shop assistants. And, if they are good at their job they will know exactly what runner to recommend. You would be surprised at how many people have been recommended the wrong runners having gone into elverys. Physios are not trained for years in types of runners employees are.

Cian Noone wrote: »
    i don't work there [...]

and you obviously do not realise the amount of people that come in looking for a shoe recommended by a physio and it is a totally wrong shoe.

So how do you know, given that you don't work there?

(Mods, yes, I will stop feeding the troll now ;) )

So how do you know, given that you don't work there?

(Mods, yes, I will stop feeding the troll now ;) )
    One does not need to work there to know the incompetency of some so called experts out there. And if you have a problem with your feet or gait your chiropodist should be your first port of call not a physio. You wouldn't go to a doctor with a toothache would you? Didn't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Go barefoot, or wear something like this

Advertisement