Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favicon.ico - what took ye so long?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

There's threads because we care ;)
    I prefer the eyes on this chap

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

DeVore wrote: »
    lol...Oh for GOD'S SAKE people.... Scroll up to our logo and see, there it is in it as the "O" in Boards. Thats been there since before Facearse was a twinkle in someone's eye.

<snip>

I cant believe there are two separate threads about this, lol...

People use this site, when things change, people like to discuss said changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

That's AOL talk. Boards is all about independent thought, facebook is all about having as many friends as possible. The day boards becomes facebook is the day I stop posting on boards, and I'm not alone in thinking that.

Boards.ie will never become facebook, however facebook is merely an internet tool. Boards.ie may follow that path.

Anyway, why exactly can't I pick between the two favicons?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Boston wrote: »

Anyway, why exactly can't I pick between the two favicons?
    Only one favicon.ico can exist on a website. Although, I think it may be possible to have one favicon.ico to exist on a sub-folder, but I'm not sure if that works for all browsers. Either way afaiu there can be only one. /highlander

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Customising the favicon delivered to users would require a modification to multiple styles*, an extra user preference and a little bit of code to handle switching favicons. It wouldn't work with all browsers** and all of it would probably need to be thrown away and re-implemented when vBulletin 4.x arrives***. It would also make it harder for us to cache stuff server-side which would mean everyone would have to pay a performance penalty for the few who would want the functionality.

If anyone has an idea for implementing custom favicons which would work cross-browser and not impose any performance penalties on the majority of users, feel free to start a thread in the Development forum.

* The template that would have to be edited is customised for several styles.
    ** Some browsers obey <link rel="shortcut icon"... but others just blindly fetch http://<domain>/favicon.ico
    *** vBulletin 4.x is apparently a ground-up rewrite. I expect lots of our customisations to break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

:(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wasnt giving out I was chuckling (indicated by the "lols" :) ) because it was such a small change we didnt give it a seconds thought until Ross said "I bet there will be threads about this :) "

When we make big changes we'll discuss them, but I'm not running to feedback for every minor tweak and fix. :):)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Conor wrote: »
    No bother. :)

Only so we can hose down his cage. :D

Hang on..........CuLT is gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Hang on..........CuLT is gone?

No, Ross still works here.

Advertisement