Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't share media to XBox from laptop anymore

• 12-06-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I had been using my laptop to share videos and music to the xbox through the wifi connection. It had been working away fine but then the other day the laptop wasn't registering on the xbox anymore. Tried testing the connection and going through some of help guides on the net but it didn't do anything.
    The laptop is still connecting to the internet ok and so is the xbox. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

Demeyes wrote: »
    I had been using my laptop to share videos and music to the xbox through the wifi connection. It had been working away fine but then the other day the laptop wasn't registering on the xbox anymore. Tried testing the connection and going through some of help guides on the net but it didn't do anything.
    The laptop is still connecting to the internet ok and so is the xbox. Any ideas?

is that possible didn't know can you teach me how to do it m8? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

are you using media player or tversity? i had that problem last week but i just had to change my sharing settings, they had reset for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Demeyes wrote: »

I presume you're using some kind of Windows are you? I had trouble with my connecting to my Linux desktop in the past. I'm convinced it was because it realised it was Linux :). It started working again when I upgraded the DD-WRT firmware on my router. Not sure if this will help you at all but you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're using media sharing in Media Player, a windows update might have knocked it off.

On the library menu in media player, make sure sharing is turned on.

If you get an error when you try and turn it on again, it means your sharing database is corrupt and needs to be recreated (basically forcing you to rescan your library again).

Here is what you need to do to rebuild it: http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No idea if the OP's problem is solved, but a friend of mine had this issue this morning, and the usual stuff didn't work (ports, firewall, rebuild database etc.)

After some googling, it looks like Windows XP SP3 breaks streaming, and both of these tweaks fixed his streaming.

1. Reset your DRM license.
    http://alpharhyme.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E89E2055203275F9!155.entry

2. Fix an issue with XP not being able to resolve DNS.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3262D5BE-EB48-4FB1-AB4A-AF9F22F40166&displaylang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Thanks for the help guys, the difficulty seems to be in turning the media sharing back on the laptop. It's using Media Player on Vista, tried all the usual firewall stuff berfore I posted because none of it helped. I did see something similar to Mr E's post about deleting files and letting WMP rescan the library for it similar to what. I'll give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

if u have something like tversity installed and are not using it uninstall it i think it uses the same sharing as windows and media player you need to get rid of it so media player can use it.

Advertisement