Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed problem....please help

Options
  • 12-06-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

Could anyone who knows about these things have a look at these stats and let me know what they think....
    DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)288384SN Margin (dB)6.006.00Line Attenuation (dB)46.5030.00CRC Errors40

Im having download speed problems after upgrading from a 1mg to a 3mg package. Speeds have gone from around the 85kbs to 30kbs in the last few days.
    Have spoken to Imagine and eventually they came to the conclusion it is a noise issue. Eircom technician rang and said there was no noise on the line and it wasnt his problem. He was as useful as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest.
    I have tried disconnecting all other devices, updated all modem software, checked for virus or spyware etc, and connected my laptop using a cable and the speeds remain the same.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not the easiest to see what exactly those numbers are, as they're all joined together, but I'm guessing your sync speeds are 288 down and 384 up. The 288 down is why your speeds are low (288kbps is crap), and nothing you do from the router onwards (PC, wired vs wireless) will make a blind bit of difference.

6dB SNR is crap too, anything below 10dB is bad.

Info
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
    and
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

It's definitely a line noise issue, but what's causing the problem is unknown. It could be a line problem, or there could be something in the house causing it. Trying a different modem would be one way to rule it out as the source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

6db is standard on adsl2 from bt but it is crap for eircom or resellers who cannot work at 6db ,

disconnect everything from line including filters , plug in modem only , run stats again .

Advertisement