Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

seller trying to scare me?

• 12-06-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

i bought a car in the uk 2 months ago and was told it was in good nick but i ended up having to spend loads on repairs much more than seller said so i got back onto him asking for a refund and now hes saying the police called to him saying i was caught with no tax driving to ship. i was told that police wouldnt mind no tax or mot as its for export. i did a sub on my insurance with the reg so was fine for that.

do u think hes trying to scare me so i stop looking for a refund? is there any way i can check if i was caught and pay a fine if i need to as ive to go to uk again soon in the same car on its irish reg and dont want any trouble. i thought itd be ok to drive it back to holyhead and on the ship for export.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Sounds like bull crap - Im sure if there was a fine pending he would have forwarded it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Barr wrote: »
    Sounds like bull crap - Im sure if there was a fine pending he would have forwarded it to you.

+1

Sounds like rubbish from the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

i bought a car in the uk 2 months ago and was told it was in good nick but i ended up having to spend loads on repairs much more than seller said so i got back onto him asking for a refund and now hes saying the police called to him saying i was caught with no tax driving to ship. i was told that police wouldnt mind no tax or mot as its for export. i did a sub on my insurance with the reg so was fine for that.

do u think hes trying to scare me so i stop looking for a refund? is there any way i can check if i was caught and pay a fine if i need to as ive to go to uk again soon in the same car on its irish reg and dont want any trouble. i thought itd be ok to drive it back to holyhead and on the ship for export.

cheers

Private or Trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

maybe not becuas i didnt give him my address or anything like that and he could have been lazy too. he did say the police were there, is drivingw ithout tax something police would call to a place for instead of sending a letter? this guy sells vehicles for a living i think so hed have a few

is there any way i can call a uk number to check if the uk reg has any pending fines against it and what can happen if i dont get it sorted before i go over in same vehicle on the irish plates? can they see its the one that owes them tax and arrest me?:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its quite possible that you would have been caught by an ANPR camera on the way back to the ferry but they're hardly going to throw you in prison for it next time you go to the UK, especially since the car was exported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You have nothing to worry about.
    Tell the vendor that if he telling the truth, that a matter between you and the uk police and does not in any way share or form pertain to the other matter of him selling you a DUFF car.

Still, if its a private sale - you don't have a chance anyways.

Stephen wrote: »
    Its quite possible that you would have been caught by an ANPR camera on the way back to the ferry but they're hardly going to throw you in prison for it next time you go to the UK, especially since the car was exported.

yea i didnt want to pay to get it mot'd and taxed just for 3 hours driving in the uk!!
    You have nothing to worry about.
    Tell the vendor that if he telling the truth, that a matter between you and the uk police and does not in any way share or form pertain to the other matter of him selling you a DUFF car.

Still, if its a private sale - you don't have a chance anyways.

well he said for me to give him my details so he can pass them on to police or else he'll have to give them the details of my account where i found it:confused::confused:

is there any where i can ring in the uk to just find out for sure if theirs a fine on the uk reg? i dont want any hassle the next time im over there at all so would like to get it all sorted now so if anyone knows please tell!!

What account?

the website account were i found it ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

You still haven't clarified if it was a private sale or from a registered garage in the UK?

If it was a private sale you have no come back but if it was from a registered seller/garage and you can prove the car was faulty BEFORE you bought it you'll have a case.

If its a registered business find out if it is a member of a governing body....like SIMI over here and say you'll take your case up with them if the garage doesn't try and solve it.

As for the fine....the Police'd hardly call out to the garage, they would've sent something in the post if there was one. Ask him for proof.

• Advertisement

i dont know if it was a proper set up i got a receipt just written on an blank a5 page with no company details or anything and the place i bought it just liked a private place but i think he buys and sells a few vehicles

im not really looking for advice on how to get the refund i just want a bit of my money back because it was described wrong but i paid in cash

i just want to know will i have any trouble next time im in uk and is there anywhere i can find out if there actually is a fine on the uk reg and the police were after me:confused:

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ring the DVLA and say you are the owner of the car and that the seller has contacted you about the car being caught for driving without tax. How honest you want to be with your own info is up to you but you sound like you want to sort it out. The fine is £80 but could go up if you don't get it sorted.

rang dvla they said a fine is nothing to do with them so them so they said contact police so i did

they said theres no police interest in the vehicle and its shown as exported and nothing has come up in there systme about tax or anything

what a ****bag the seller is :mad::mad::mad:

cheers for the advice lads

at least you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭rustynutz

If you bought it through Ebay contact them about him selling an item not as described,worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

Have you tackled the seller again armed with this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sloppy

Sounds like you've dealt with a rogue here, and I would just put it down to experience and use a bit more common sense in checking out your next car, unless it's something really serious.

But just for the record I have brought hundreds of cars through Holyhead with no uk tax on the screen with no problem, but one day I got stopped by a policeman in the port, and gave me an on the spot fine for no tax. I had an invoice from the seller, a V5, my Irish Motor Traders insurance, and Irish trade plates. He said he would have impounded the car if the tax was out of date for more than a month, and also would have impounded the car if I couldn't give him a UK address that a summons could be served on, which luckily I have. There was no talking to him. Another time I was stopped by a slow moving Range Rover on the M6 outside Birmingham armed with the number plate recognition camera. Again I had no tax and had all the correct documents in the car including my Stena corporate card so I could show I was going straight to the boat. He just told me to go on my way.

Moral of the story, it depends on the policeman and his mood, and common sense will probably apply, but just a word of warning. They do have the right to impound your non taxed car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't get how anyone can buy a car on ebay. You can't see it, check it, or drive it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't get how anyone can buy a car on ebay. You can't see it, check it, or drive it.
    The OP did see it as they collected it. They were made aware of issues with the car but seemed to believe that they wouldn't cost much to fix.
    IMO, the OP bought a form of lemon, somewhat knowingly!

Advertisement