Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

miniDV Tape to PC on a Budget

Options
  • 12-06-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I've got a bunch of DV tapes I need to get onto my laptop. What is the cheapest way for me to do this? I do not have any DV equipment.

I'm guessing that I would rent a DV camcorder and use the firewire connection on my laptop to transfer it?

Thank you,

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Yes if you have a FireWire lead and FireWire port that is the easiest way. I presume you have software?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Bob Z wrote: »
    Yes if you have a FireWire lead and FireWire port that is the easiest way. I presume you have software?

I do indeed have the software Bob, I own Adobe CS3 Master Suite, that's got Premiere and After Effects.

Thank you for that,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need exotic software to transfer the raw DV footage to your PC.

You need a Firewire cable and WinDV. (38kb)

http://windv.mourek.cz/

Free and safe to use, no piracy required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Amalgam wrote: »
    Contrary to popular belief, you don't need exotic software to transfer the raw DV footage to your PC.

You need a Firewire cable and WinDV. (38kb)

http://windv.mourek.cz/

Free and safe to use, no piracy required.

Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

When you put it on your laptop what are you going to do then? if you are putting it back onto tape you need acamcorder with an firewire input(not just output) however if you are putting it onto dvd you dont need to worry about this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

I have a sony camcorder, but for the life of me, I cant transfer the video correctly from the miniDV format to the PC. I used both winDV and powerDirector but when I play the finished output file say on media player, its missing frames etc ie not smooth. Windv shows loads of dropped frames. I dont know what I'm doing wrong? The PC has a mini firewire port and I have a suitable cable to connect the sony to the PC but no luck todate. I'm not sure where the cable came from but I guess the fact that it fits both ends and the PC detects to camcorder its the correct type?

Any help would be much appreciated as I really need to free up tapes for this coming xmas!!!

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

sorted,

buffering to an extremely old IDE disk connected to a SATA bus controller, basically a pile of rubbish!!!

W.

Advertisement