Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterman-Palin Controversy?

Options
  • 12-06-2009 3:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Palin apparently took issue with some of night talk show Letterman's jokes, one in particular that gave reference to the pregnancy of her out-of-wedlock daughter? This raises a couple of issues? Should the children of politicians be held safe from jokes, or should comics be allowed to exercise their rights to free speech?

Last night on The Late Show, David Letterman said that Gov. Sarah Palin had called him "pathetic" for making jokes about her and one of her daughters. "I haven't been called pathetic once since [my] honeymoon," he joked.

Letterman said he knew they were "cheap laughs" he was going for; in his usual self-deprecating way, he noted that's what he's been doing "for 35 years." As for his joke about Palin's "slutty-flight-attendant look," he said unrepentantly, "I kinda like that joke."

Sources:
    http://watching-tv.ew.com/2009/06/david-letterman-vs-sarah-palin-this-very-well-could-be-my-last-show-not.html
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31275358/?GT1=43001

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Children maybe.

Teens going preggers? Coming out of the closet? Where's my pen.

I don't think anybody poked fun at McCain's litter (its a litter) of kids not out of some sort of venerated respect but because there was no story there. And Kudos to him for adopting 3 of them. Frankly Palin made a campaign issue out of her children, with Trig, her Down Syndrome baby, being the spearhead for Pro-Life. The rest followed.

She's just bitter it cost her the election, among other things. Let her whine. Letterman is well within his rights here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wasn't the Palin Kid paraded in front of the media to a) preach abstance b) to tell kids don’t have sex until after you are married c) to tell eveyone what a jerk the ex boyfriend is....

She (or should i say the Mom) put herself out there in the spotlight so she is fair game.

Anyway freedom of speach puts this "controversy" to bed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

didn't john mccain get in alot of trouble for telling a joke about chelsea clinton?

Trouble like ....??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There was similar discussion as to whether Michelle Obama was off-limits. If I recall a strong argument saying that 'once she injected herself into the spotlight by effectively campaigning for him, unlike Mrs McCain who kept a low profile, she became fair game'

There is a dividing line of immunity, I'm just not entirely sure where it is. Seems to be something to take on a case-by-case basis.

NTM

• Advertisement

I guess its a bit like The Thunderdome: opt-in opt-out. She dragged her kids into it so they could be a shiney Pro-Life beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What's funny (not funny-ha-ha, funny-this-woman-is-messed-up) now is how the Palins are not dropping this, and are accusing Letterman of making jokes about statutory rape.

They're insisting - rather absurdly (surprise, surprise) - that he was talking about her fourteen-year-old daughter, and not the one who actually got pregnant.

I think we need to hear the actual tape at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What's funny (not funny-ha-ha, funny-this-woman-is-messed-up) now is how the Palins are not dropping this, and are accusing Letterman of making jokes about statutory rape.

They're insisting - rather absurdly (surprise, surprise) - that he was talking about her fourteen-year-old daughter, and not the one who actually got pregnant.

The 14 year old was the one that went with her to the Yankee game. Letterman made a joke about her daughter getting knocked up by Alex Rodriguez during the 7th. You can see where people feel that Letterman made that comment towards her 14 old daughter instead of Bristol. His joke writers should atleast be fired for not doing their homework.

All family members should be off limits. Anybody who thinks the that the Palin kids getting savaged like this is funny definitely have some issues to deal with.

Well it turns out the daughter was there on the taxpayer's dollar. Surely the taxpayer should be allowed to have a good hiss.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Well it turns out the daughter was there on the taxpayer's dollar. Surely the taxpayer should be allowed to have a good hiss.

They were in NY for a charity and Rudy Gullianni's guest at the ballgame.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    They were in NY for a charity and Rudy Gullianni's guest at the ballgame.
    and who paid for the travel?

and who paid for the travel?

So by your logic I can make a joke like that about the Obama daughters since obama is spending a hell of alot more than plane tickets.

You're welcome to see how far you get with that.

But as far as I know Sasha and Malia never Opted In the same way Bristol Palin did when she became the Pro-Life Poster Girl.

You're welcome to see how far you get with that.

But as far as I know Sasha and Malia never Opted In the same way Bristol Palin did when she became the Pro-Life Poster Girl.

So making a commercial means its open season for the most vile attacks possible? I hope you never have kids.

This is a vile attack

This is a monologue joke

I love how its been spun in such a way that its attacking the daughter more than its attacking Spitzer though. When I hear the joke, I hear Spitzer being a dirty bastard, hiding in urban jungle bushes. I don't hear the Palin girl dressing up on the street corner. Which I find is a rather obscure interpretation, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

All family members should be off limits. Anybody who thinks the that the Palin kids getting savaged like this is funny definitely have some issues to deal with.

Off-limits, by who? The thought Police? Letterman is a comedian, he is within his rights to poke fun at famous people; he is within his rights to push the envelope. If he goes too far, on his head be it. Did he go to far this time? No. How do I know this? Because the only people who care are Palin and a few internet warriors.

Fire the Scriptwriters? Sorry, I enjoy freedom of speech. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So making a commercial means its open season for the most vile attacks possible? I hope you never have kids.

Vile attacks? Simmer down will you? It was a joke.

Some people are beyond understanding any point. You seem to be one of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

There are two issues here:

1. The daughter of a candidate being the butt of a joke

2. illegitimacy and children out of wedlock being the locus of a joke, which is apparently still acceptable in the US, where it is still heavily stigmatised, obviously or it wouldnt be joke material.

• Advertisement

I think it has a lot more to do with the teen pregnancy than the wedlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think it has a lot more to do with the teen pregnancy than the wedlock.

I think the subtext is that she was a teenager having sex without a ring on her finger and her mother's a conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't think the children should be fair game, really, even teenagers as they'll take the criticism/jokes the hardest or most personally.

However, I think the Palins deserve every little bit they get. If you're going to come out preaching abstinence and pro-life BS, using your daughters as shining examples, and one turns out to be a teenage slut, then you deserve anything that's thrown at you.

As I said before the kid (the older one) was doing the media circuit so she is fair game.
    When you see Obama's kids doing interviews on good morning america about having a kid out of wedlock then they are fair game also.

I think the big thing here is Palin is trying to make out that the "LIberal" Media once again get away with this while if it were a comment about the obama kids there would be outrage. Apples and Oranges but the likes of fox say that this is the same thing.

They are trying to compare this to the Imus "nappy heads" comment yet it is nothing of the sort.

Bad taste is one thing but racist comments are another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ironically, Letterman may realise a boost in ratings as a result of his flap with Sarah Palin. See article:
    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=414369&gt1=28103

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

some fun links here.

this 1 talks about how the right have suddenly gone PC.
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2009/06/the_phrase_poli.php

and this one mentions Palin giving a talk radio guy props for being un-PC.
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0609/Palin_Screw_the_political_correctness.html

bonus link :p
    http://www.firedavidletterman.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Letterman apologies for crude joke about daughter, but not about Sarah Palin jokes. Explains misinterpretation (again and again) about confusing older and younger daughters. Appears that comedians have PC limits on freedom of speech in USA?

Source: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=414594&gt1=28103

Only when their ratings are concerned and their jobs are on the line. He may have realised a short boost but in the long run this sort of thing could seriously alienate a lot of potential viewers.

Only when their ratings are concerned and their jobs are on the line. He may have realised a short boost but in the long run this sort of thing could seriously alienate a lot of potential viewers.
    Methinks that Jay Leno would have phrased it a bit different and gotten away with it? Of course the Leno audience is a bit different demographically than Letterman, which Conan O'Brien is learning the hard way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Appears that comedians have PC limits on freedom of speech in USA?

I thought Colbert was taking a bit of a risk on the 'don't ask, don't tell' skit he did in Baghdad last week, but he seems to have gotten away with it. It's all down to the audience.

NTM

Advertisement