Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on these foods?

• 12-06-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Few things i'm not sure if are good, bad or ok for me. Any advice appreciated

Trying to lose a small amount of weight before putting it back on by redistributing and wondering which of these should be completely cut out or if some can be kept

Chicken fillets (like used in deli etc.)
    Rashers with fat cut off
    Butchers beef burgers
    Baked beans
    Scrambled eggs (low fat milk and small bit of butter with salt and pepper)
    Omelette (plain)
    Oven cooked homemade chips (are they a lot better than the same pre-packed?)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

They're all fine, really.

Grill everything instead of frying. Have lots of lean meat and fish. Have five or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Watch your portion size on things like potatoes, pasta and rice - keep them small to medium. Make sure you are getting in some good fats like a little olive oil on your salad, or a small handful of nuts as a snack.

Stick with wholefoods as much as possible. Get a bit of exercise too. You'll be there in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

They're all fine, really.

Grill everything instead of frying. Have lots of lean meat and fish. Have five or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day. Watch your portion size on things like potatoes, pasta and rice - keep them small to medium. Make sure you are getting in some good fats like a little olive oil on your salad, or a small handful of nuts as a snack.

Stick with wholefoods as much as possible. Get a bit of exercise too. You'll be there in no time!

Thanks for that. Should be grand so just trying to plan what I can and can't eat. Also are all nuts ok? I've heard dry roasted aren't too great.

Nuts are very good for you. Try to get raw unsalted ones - they haven't been cooked in oil and salted. The taste is different at first but they are still delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Dry roasted are full of salt so best to avoid... if you've a Holland and Barrett near you, they have a huge range of nuts and seeds to choose from. Have a sprinkle of mixed seeds on your cereal every morning, excellent for you.

Your list sounds fine - not 100% sure on the butchers burgers, I'd rather a small bit of really good steak personally (you never are quite sure how much fat they put in those things - unless you pick your piece of steak and he minces it right in front of you which is unlikely). Have lots of fish too - oily fish is excellent for you and very reasonably priced these days.

Have at minimum 5 portions of fruit and veg (but far more veg than fruit) and actually nearer to 7 - 10 if you want to get optimum benefits.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

*Honey* wrote: »
    Have at minimum 5 portions of fruit and veg (but far more veg than fruit) and actually nearer to 7 - 10 if you want to get optimum benefits.

I find it really hard to get enough veg. Fruit is pretty easy but I find I cant eat veg for Breakfast, for lunch Im limited to salad and I dont really want to eat that every day so that really just leaves dinner and as veg is quite filling its hard to eat a lot.

Id be interested to know is there much difference between something like McCains oven chips and homemade potato wedges (i.e. potatoes cut with some olive oil and put in the oven). I make my own wedges but I wonder is it worth the hassle...is there that much of a difference?

• Advertisement

For veggies, try snacking on raw carrots and sugar snap peas during the day. A portion is only a handful. At lunch time have vegetable soups or salads as well as whatever else you're eating. At dinner have at least two veggies, but you can be creative with them. Make veggie kebabs, toss in a marinade and grill. Cut aubergines and courgettes into slices and cook with a little salt and olive oil on a grill pan. Have a dish of roasted peppers, mushrooms and butternut squash, sprinkled with lots of garlic and black pepper. Boil a corn on the cob, then bbq it and eat it with a pat of low fat butter. Your veg don't have to be carrots and cauliflower, boiled.

Making your own wedges is, if possible, much better than using oven chips. Not only can you have a larger portion for less calories, but you are getting in good fats with your olive oil, and they taste far, far better. You can spice them up with whatever seasonings you fancy too.

If you have one vegetable snack (say, some raw carrots), two portions of veggies at dinner, and two pieces of fruit in the day you are getting the 5 you need.

Advertisement