Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pound experience

Options
  • 12-06-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

has anyone been to the pound to adopt a dog lately?? not sure if its the pound manager or just some jumped up little receptionist but my god the woman needs to learn some manners and how to speak to members of the public. was in there today VERY interested in adopting a dog, filled out the forms the usual and she starts quizzing me about where i live and i was being honest by saying that the dog would be coming down the country every weekend and she snaps my head off that thas going to upset the dog and she cant give a dog to someone like me. So basically she was willing to destroy a dog than to let it into a loving home where the dog would b treated VERY well and loved and adored (U no urself). i was appalled by her behaviour and quite frankly i wont ever step foot inside another pound now ill happily buy a new puppy from someone!! I personally think people who arent capable of speaking to a member of the public with some respect then they shouldnt work in such a job!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've edited the title as it's somewhat liabelous for us to name places like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Sounds very bad but dont let it put you off giving an unwanted animal a good home.
    If you are looking for a pet, drop down to Remi and Helena in ASH.
    http://www.ashanimalrescue.com/

They are good people who I'm sure would be delighted to hear that you plan to take your dog on weekends away.
    The have dogs of all ages and never put one down. The really put everything they have into looking after animals.
    I'm sure all rescue centres do but I knew Remi and Helena before they started rescueing animals and know how much they gave up to do this.
    Good luck whatever you do but you'll always get a welcome in ASH and plenty of good, realistic advice on looking after your new buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

eddie12 wrote: »
    Sounds very bad but dont let it put you off giving an unwanted animal a good home.
    If you are looking for a pet, drop down to Remi and Helena in ASH.
    http://www.ashanimalrescue.com/

They are good people who I'm sure would be delighted to hear that you plan to take your dog on weekends away.
    The have dogs of all ages and never put one down. The really put everything they have into looking after animals.
    I'm sure all rescue centres do but I knew Remi and Helena before they started rescueing animals and know how much they gave up to do this.
    Good luck whatever you do but you'll always get a welcome in ASH and plenty of good, realistic advice on looking after your new buddy.

+1, they are fab in Ash. our fella came from there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I got my Border Collie X from Ash, he is a legend, great place and lots of lovely dogs. Dogs in Distress have lots of animals too needing homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

I agree, please dont let stupid people like that put you off. Try to think of the needy animal not the ignorant human. I had to talk to a lot of unhelpful people before I got my two furballs and even though one woman in particular made me feel like an unfit parent :mad:, I was glad I persisted.

I now foster for two rescues as well as having my own two adoptees.

(I did write to that womans superior about how I felt about her.......made me feel much better. ;) )

Try again somewhere else PLEASE. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Going to the pound especially for the first time is daunting enough, I bawled my eyes out. (I was there to do a run for a rescue and also to get a dog for my bf's granny - I bawled my eyes out at the thought of picking just one dog and leaving the other suitable one behind me :( ) Luckily the lady working there was lovely and very understanding, as were Paws when I rang to say err, theres some more greys here any chance you can take them too? (they said yes!! :D)

Anyway my point is I'm sorry that happened to you and I hope it won't put you off rescuing a dog. ASH as mentioned are amazing and there are lots of other rescues (and pounds!) to choose from. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Try to think of the needy animal not the ignorant human.
    Try again somewhere else PLEASE. :D

+1
    There are so, so many dogs needing homes, so many rescues and shelters full to the brim, and so many other pounds....also full, with the 'inmates' running out of time. Don't waste your energy focusing on the wrong thing, look elsewhere, or if your heart is set on that particular dog- call back to the pound when yer one isn't there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

i recently got a dog from the pound. They said he was found straying around Kilcoole. Never said with or without collar.. I was wondering if he had a collar is there someone out there looking for the poor dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

I got the same treatment as the OP when I was trying to adopt a cat. The lady on the other end of the phone seemed like she was trying to talk me out of adopting, even when I said I'd take an old cat or a special needs one. She was meant to call me back and never bothered.

So I went to the Drogheda Animal Rescue Centre and they gave me a one-eyed toothless cat who I love to bits. That is one fantastic shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm suprised with the good reaction to a certain charity in this thread.

I had organised with a member of staff to drop a few kittens (and a substantial donation) to them one day. I took a holiday from work to arrive when they could accommodate me. I rang on the morning to say that I had gotten the number in the litter wrong, there was one less and was that ok. I was told by the man who answered the phone that he would not be taking any animals that day. I explained that I was talking to another member of staff a week ago and confirmed with her THE NIGHT BEFORE and based on those conversations, I had taken a holiday and dropped my OH to work so I could have the car. He said "I seriously doubt that happened". He accused me at least 3 times in that conversation of lying. He was rude and insulting. I would not recommend them to anyone TBH. Much better rescues out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Wow helena that's unbelieveable... yet obviously it happened.
    How rude!! I'd be very very unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

To be honest, I know how quickly things, one min you're collecting 2 terriers, you get there and you have 2 terriers, a greyhound, an agressive little toy breed, not enough crates and a tiny toyota starlet. :)

It was his attitude more than anything else that p'd me off. If he had said he simply can't take them because he got a few in the night before, that would be fine. But to tell me that I was lying. :mad:

Advertisement