Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband intermittant problems

Options
  • 12-06-2009 5:46pm

Two or three times per hour there's a problem with the internet. Pages stop loading and I get "page load error". If I wait a minute or two it comes back. But this has been happening for about a month now and ITS REALLY ANNOYING me. Downloads are constantly getting interrupted. I've had Eircom since January 2007 and had had no problems. I upgraded from 3mb to 7mb bundle last November.

What number do I ring to contact Eircom about it? It's probably a premium number right? :mad: Any help/advice from you kind sirs would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

FFS , does nobody read around here :(

Line Stats Please...also change DNS to opendns , instructions on www.opendns.com

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.00 11.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

I read on another thread that the microfilters can "go"...might this be the issue? Can I get Eircom to replace them or must I purchase them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

stats look ok

Unplug everything INCLUDING filter fones skyboxes and plug only modem straight into wall

see what happens, if stable then introduce filter etc etc till it goes and then track down the suspect device .

it could be the modem or your network card too

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Horrific last few days here (Dublin south)

Up and down all the time.

opo wrote: »

I've been watching it more today and every time the internet "stops" the red light appears on my router. So it must be Eircom? It was fine yesterday but today it's horrific. It goes every 10 to 20mins. I'm having to continually restart my downloads ...ITS FCUKING TERRIBLE SERVICE EIRCOM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

opo wrote: »

Same - I am in Shankill and it had been up/down for the past few days. My wife is at home now and its down again. I have done all the usual tricks and no joy. I would call eircom but don't have a couple of hours to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Same here, except on an eircom reseller, UTV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Same has been happening me in Drogheda for three weeks now.

From what I can figure out, there might be a problem with my local exchange though.

That said, haven't had a problem today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

3mbit BT desynching on me all weekend here in Dundalk...sometimes as much as 3-4 times per hour on saturday evening. Don't know if this is a re-occurance of an old problem I've had or if it's something on the exchanges or further up the line...bloody annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

It never fails to amaze me.

I've had loads of problems with Eircom in the past, and I'm far from their biggest fans, but I wouldn't log onto an online forum and start shouting about their "FCUKING TERRIBLE SERVICE" until I'd at least rang them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is often the case too that the fault is not with the isp at all and even a rudimenatary amount of diagnosis (based on advice given here with monotonous regularity:rolleyes:) can help fix the problem.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    It never fails to amaze me.

I've had loads of problems with Eircom in the past, and I'm far from their biggest fans, but I wouldn't log onto an online forum and start shouting about their "FCUKING TERRIBLE SERVICE" until I'd at least rang them.

You know you're half right? I took out the filters and it's been fine! :) So I ordered new ones which came today so hopefully that'll sort it.

I wouldn't put too much faith in ringing them however. Ordering the filters was difficult enough understanding the thick Indian accent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just to re-emphasise the importance of attempting some diagnosis.

I was up with a friend this evening whose speeds and bb performance had disimproved since the Eircom speed upgrades a while ago.

He should have been on 3Mb but was only syncing at 1440 and his snr was down to 6 his attenuation was also pretty high.

The house is about 30 years old and I had thought that he only had the one phone socket. Just as an aside I asked him had he ever had any extension sockets. He tells me that there is an extension for the past 20 years in one of the bedrooms which he hasn't used in years.

Simply unplugging the phone from that extension brought the sync back to where it should be with the 3Mb product but brought the snr from 6 up to 23!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

^^ True that! I remember starting a thread not too long ago and coming to the same conclusion. As soon as i replaced my old ****ty phone cable and filter from the modem the CRC errors stopped and the SNR went up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Two or three times per hour there's a problem with the internet. Pages stop loading and I get "page load error". If I wait a minute or two it comes back. But this has been happening for about a month now and ITS REALLY ANNOYING me. Downloads are constantly getting interrupted. I've had Eircom since January 2007 and had had no problems. I upgraded from 3mb to 7mb bundle last November.

What number do I ring to contact Eircom about it? It's probably a premium number right? :mad: Any help/advice from you kind sirs would be most appreciated.

:(I have the same problem, pages like Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc. not being found. 'Page canot be found, please check you have entered the correct address', complete with telling me I should have 3 W's, not 2!!! But it's only happened in the last 2 evenings. I'm in Clonmel, Co. Tipp. Even if I hit 'Refresh', I still get this problem. Is it safe to run OpenDNS? I'm not very good with technical stuff and don't want to lose everything by running something I don't understand. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

cardol wrote: »
    :(I have the same problem, pages like Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc. not being found. 'Page canot be found, please check you have entered the correct address', complete with telling me I should have 3 W's, not 2!!! But it's only happened in the last 2 evenings. I'm in Clonmel, Co. Tipp. Even if I hit 'Refresh', I still get this problem. Is it safe to run OpenDNS? I'm not very good with technical stuff and don't want to lose everything by running something I don't understand. :(
    What could you possible loose? DNS servers simply change facebook.com to 69.63.184.142 - Eircoms are running a muck and the moment with timeouts and high latency, open DNS are public servers that are customisable and work very well. Changing them will get you back online.

footer_logo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Having the same problem myself the last few days... pages were taking ages to load and the last 2 nights after multiple refreshes a page MIGHT load.. Am in the Donaghmede (Dublin 13) area....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

:... Is it safe to run OpenDNS? I'm not very good with technical stuff and don't want to lose everything by running something I don't understand. :(

Yes - its safe to change settings to opendns. I have been using OPENDNS with Eircom BBand for years and also have upgraded to 7mbps with no issues.

Just as you replace the EIRCOM DNS addresses with OPENDNS addresses, If you note the original Eircom addys you can always change back at will. Your call.

I set up an opendns HOW TO here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998&page=10

POST Number #144

Aidan

OK, but what do you mean by customisable? Will I have to make manual changes to my favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

dub45 wrote: »
    Just to re-emphasise the importance of attempting some diagnosis.

I was up with a friend this evening whose speeds and bb performance had disimproved since the Eircom speed upgrades a while ago.

He should have been on 3Mb but was only syncing at 1440 and his snr was down to 6 his attenuation was also pretty high.

The house is about 30 years old and I had thought that he only had the one phone socket. Just as an aside I asked him had he ever had any extension sockets. He tells me that there is an extension for the past 20 years in one of the bedrooms which he hasn't used in years.

Simply unplugging the phone from that extension brought the sync back to where it should be with the 3Mb product but brought the snr from 6 up to 23!

Im not sure what snr is but i think this is it:

SN Margin (dB) 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 30.50

Does that look about right? I have been on a 3meg line and recently got upgraded to 7meg and ever since the performance has been terrible.

Looking into replacing the filters to see if that helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

I'm having the same issue here. But I'm on OpenDNS, both on the router and on the individual machines. This is crazy how often the happens on Eircom. I'd love to know what their actual uptime percentage is and what their SLA is.

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Im not sure what snr is but i think this is it:

SN Margin (dB) 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 30.50

Does that look about right? I have been on a 3meg line and recently got upgraded to 7meg and ever since the performance has been terrible.

Looking into replacing the filters to see if that helps too.
    Filters aren't the issue, your attenuation of 30dB puts you about 3-4 KM's from your local exchange. At that distance, the maximum your line should be able to handle is approximately 5-6MB. Contact Eircom and ask them to drop your profile for you. Too much speed down the line makes things worse, you need a balance - depending on the amount your line can handle.

Mine currently are:

SN Margin (dB) 13.90 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 25.50 14.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

As it stands, I've been disconnected 3 times since the last post

c0mpliant wrote: »
    Mine currently are:

SN Margin (dB) 13.90 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 25.50 14.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

As it stands, I've been disconnected 3 times since the last post
    Your stats look fine. Are you connecting wireless or with a cable? Are you using Open DNS?

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Your stats look fine. Are you connecting wireless or with a cable? Are you using Open DNS?

I'm connecting with both. My desktop and my laptop. The issue is occuring on router beside me, Internet icon changing to red then flashing green while it re-establishes.
    Yeah I'm using OpenDNS, both on the router on each individual machine

c0mpliant wrote: »
    I'm connecting with both. My desktop and my laptop. The issue is occuring on router beside me, Internet icon changing to red then flashing green while it re-establishes.
    Yeah I'm using OpenDNS, both on the router on each individual machine
    Some people are having issues setting the OpenDNS on the router, causing either disconnections or no connections at all - keep the DNS servers manually assigned on your desktop and your laptop (leaving the IP, Subnet and Gateway still automatic) and automatic on the router and see if that makes a difference for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

hows this for CRC errors :)

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2176 384
    SN Margin (dB) 5.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 57.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 3627 31

superfly wrote: »
    hows this for CRC errors :)

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2176 384
    SN Margin (dB) 5.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 57.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 3627 31
    What do you expect, your on a 3MB package and your line can barely handle 1MB.

Ring Eircom as soon as you can and ask them to downgrade your package, I'm not saying change profile on purpose because your paying for 3MB when you should be paying for their lowest package of 1MB. Ring through to Care, not support.

aidanodr wrote: »
    Yes - its safe to change settings to opendns. I have been using OPENDNS with Eircom BBand for years and also have upgraded to 7mbps with no issues.

Just as you replace the EIRCOM DNS addresses with OPENDNS addresses, If you note the original Eircom addys you can always change back at will. Your call.

I set up an opendns HOW TO here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998&page=10

POST Number #144

Aidan

Aidan - you say you're with Eircom, why is this happening? I'm thinking about changing from Eircom to something else, even though it will be a hassle, but this is doing my head in. I know OpenDNS is more reliable, but still feel unsure about manually changing my Eircom DNS for another. It seems very technical and I'm not that sure if I can do it. I've just managed to get this webpage tonight after 4 hours of 'address not found' results, so I'm making the most of it!

P.S. I can get this site, but still can't get Facebook or something like Sky News.

P.P.S. I now can't even close the Facebook tab on my browser, tried 'reload' earlier but it brought up posts from 7 hours ago, nothing newer even tho' I knew there were newer posts because I posted 2 new ones. It that Eircom too? Sorry to bombard you like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

:(I have the same problem, pages like Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc. not being found. 'Page canot be found, please check you have entered the correct address', complete with telling me I should have 3 W's, not 2!!! But it's only happened in the last 2 evenings. I'm in Clonmel, Co. Tipp. Even if I hit 'Refresh', I still get this problem. Is it safe to run OpenDNS? I'm not very good with technical stuff and don't want to lose everything by running something I don't understand. :([/

im in clonmel also and have been having the same trouble since saturday.. red light on the modem , no connection etc.. highly frustrating. rang them and they said they were aware of problem are were doing their best blah blah.. below is a bit from their support website which "explains" the recent problems.

Customers may have recently experienced delays in web browsing and may have been unable to access the Internet. In some cases, customers may have been redirected to incorrect websites.

This issue has been caused by an unusual and irregular volume of internet traffic being directed onto our network, and this impacted the systems and servers that provide access to the Internet for our customers.

eircom is working continuously to minimise the impact for customers and has taken a number of steps, including software updates and hardware interventions, to fully restore internet service.
    think we just have to wait for them to get the act together..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement