Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter changes tune

• 12-06-2009 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Now that it's no longer English teams dominating the transfer market, Sepp Blatter describes the recent dealings of Kaka and Ronaldo as being good for Football.
    "It means that our product is still a good product," Blatter said ahead of the Confederations Cup. "If this is the game of the people, they need stars."
    By that logic, England doesn't have any "people" in it. Only Spain does. Perhaps he hasn't read up on where the game originated.
    I wonder what he'll say when Chelsea/City/United open their Cheque-books. Unbelievable.

Read it here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Quick. The English need our help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

SectionF wrote: »

chip_on_her_shoulder.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Today

Yesterday
    It'll be interesting to see how English supporters react when their league is no longer the centre of the universe, and as clubs continue to fold when faced with the might of the goggle box.

Yesterday
    God forbid. Hands off our English players! :(:confused:

broken_record.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The English are so 2008/2009. This is a Madrid forum now. Get with the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

davyjose wrote: »
    Now that it's no longer English teams dominating the transfer market, Sepp Blatter describes the recent dealings of Kaka and Ronaldo as being good for Football.

By that logic, England doesn't have any "people" in it. Only Spain does. Perhaps he hasn't read up on where the game originated.
    I wonder what he'll say when Chelsea/City/United open their Cheque-books. Unbelievable.

Read it here

China.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Little harsh dont ye think. Fired/resigned = yes, Dead = no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

stovelid wrote: »
    The English are so 2008/2009. This is a Madrid forum now. Get with the times.

At the risk of knocking those chips off shoulders, the thread was started by a user to provide a one-stop shop for all of the threads that had started/were due to be started about Real. It helps keep the forum tidy.

Funnily enough, there's interest in what's happening at the club given their two high profile signings.

Rest assured, I doubt Elverys are replacing the Sunderland Ipswich shirts just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

chip_on_her_shoulder.jpg

Pic is class. I'm laughing thinking what the hell the original context of it was. :D

Was it for a advert for something, or did somebody doctor it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Man i can't stand Blatter. That's all i'll say on here. While in the real world i'm screaming abuse at him across the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Perhaps he hasn't read up on where the game originated.

Perhaps you should. Football actually originated in China. The English simply took it and claimed it as their own. Pretty familiar now that I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

In fairness, blatter has some great ideas.....;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3402519.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Football was invented by a chippy chap wearing a cloth cap in Worthington in 1832

3017667_5d5b0d5226_s.jpg

Or it was the Greeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

iregk wrote: »
    Perhaps you should. Football actually originated in China. The English simply took it and claimed it as their own. Pretty familiar now that I think about it.

Perhaps you should. I said "football", not "kicky-random-object-around-field", seeing as how we're getting picky 'n' all.

Anyway, to say there is bias against English clubs -- considering Platini has kept relatively shtum, and well, that semi-final in Stamford bridge -- is starting to seem less and less like a crazy, screwball conspiracy theory, and more like fact.

Perhaps you should. I said "football", not "kicky-random-object-around-field", seeing as how we're getting picky 'n' all.

Anyway, to say there is bias against English clubs -- considering Platini has kept relatively shtum, and well, that semi-final in Stamford bridge -- is starting to seem less and less like a crazy, screwball conspiracy theory, and more like fact.

No, you really, really should.

Football, as in two teams kicking an air filled ball through across a field, and trying to score in two sets of goals with nets, with a full PROFESIONAL league was invented by the Chinese, and then the basic rule structure was brought back to Europe along the spice roads in the middle ages.

Despite what Skinner and Badiel would have you believe.

Documented evidence of an activity resembling football can be found in the Chinese military manual Zhan Guo Ce compiled between the 3rd century and 1st century BC. It describes a practice known as cuju (蹴鞠, literally "kick ball"), which originally involved kicking a leather ball through a small hole in a piece of silk cloth which was fixed on bamboo canes and hung about 9 m above ground. During the Han Dynasty (206 BC–220 AD), cuju games were standardized and rules were established. Variations of this game later spread to Japan and Korea, known as kemari and chuk-guk respectively. By the Chinese Tang Dynasty (618–907), the feather-stuffed ball was replaced by an air-filled ball and cuju games had become professionalized, with many players making a living playing cuju. Also, two different types of goal posts emerged: One was made by setting up posts with a net between them and the other consisted of just one goal post in the middle of the field.

No, you really, really should.
    Acyually, it's not that important dude. Someone got pedantic about an aside comment I made in my OP. The fact is, I've put enough effort into justifying myself already. But...
    Football, as in two teams kicking an air filled ball through across a field, and trying to score in two sets of goals with nets, with a full PROFESIONAL league was invented by the Chinese, and then the basic rule structure was brought back to Europe along the spice roads in the middle ages.

Despite what Skinner and Badiel would have you believe.

It's not Football though. It's a game kicking a ball across a field. So they invented GAA and Aussie Rules too???

If you can prove they had an offside rule, I'll agree they played Football (aka Soccer)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

*Checks Sky website and see another ridiculous comment from Blatter*

*Logs onto boards to see what folk are saying about*

*Clicks into "Blatter changes tune" thread and gets a history lesson about the origins of soccer*

*Goes to make more coffee*

Now that it's no longer English teams dominating the transfer market...

By that logic, England doesn't have any "people" in it. Only Spain does...

I wonder what he'll say when Chelsea/City/United open their Cheque-books.

broken_record.jpg

What country do you think the OP is about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Acyually, it's not that important dude. Someone got pedantic about an aside comment I made in my OP. The fact is, I've put enough effort into justifying myself already. But...

It's not Football though. It's a game kicking a ball across a field. So they invented GAA and Aussie Rules too???

If you can prove they had an offside rule, I'll agree they played Football (aka Soccer)

Ah, they were the only ones anal enough to bother writing down the oficial code of rules. Big deal.

But there was no offside rule written down in that pub in London either, and the rules of football, including the offside rule, change constantly.

But as you said, it doesn't matter.

The important thing is that Blatter is talking out of his ar$e as usual.

What country do you think the OP is about?

I support an English team, and Blatter is showing bias against an English team. Am I not entitled to point that out? Or do we need to pretend we're all Bohs fans to have any real national pride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

stovelid wrote: »
    Pic is class. I'm laughing thinking what the hell the original context of it was. :D

Was it for a advert for something, or did somebody doctor it?

I don't know what the story is with it man, i just stumbled upon it. Cracker of a pic though, i'm gonna use it as much as i possibly can over the next few weeks.

Anyway back on topic.
    considering Platini has kept relatively shtum

Platini has spoke out against it with a much more realistic view of things as opposed to Blatter and his bizarre comparison of Ronaldo with a Picasso painting. Blatter is seriously out of touch, it's unbelievable he's the head of Fifa, definately some dodgy shenanigans going on there.

Here's the Platini article;

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_uefa-president-platini-says-ronaldo-record-deal-not-good-for-football_1264222.

I support an English team, and Blatter is showing bias against an English team. Am I not entitled to point that out? Or do we need to pretend we're all Bohs fans to have any real national pride?

Who mentioned nationalism?

When did following an English team mean that every utterance by a sports administrator that doesn't favour the EPL and the Sky4 have to be interpreted as a Johnny Foreigner attack on 'English football'?

I'm certainly no fan of Blatter's and I disagree entirely with his point of view on this, but I'm not going to go all Rupert Murdoch/BNP about it, just because I follow an English team.

Advertisement