Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows vista optimisation

• 12-06-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Just wondering: are there any good sites or freeware applications to optimize windows vista performance.

Ive done the usual things such as going through my startup list and optimising visuals for performance etc.

Its still slow though and I still have 77 processes running!

What next?

Registry cleaning etc?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you can get yourself into real trouble by randomly searching for freeware like that.

Start with registry cleaning. get CCleaner (thats not a typo).

~70 is norm afaik. Im running 79 at the moment but then again I've been busy today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm after knocking about 30 secs off my boot up time by using CCleaner, defragging my hard drive and knocking off unimportant start-ups.

This is well worth a read.

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks I will try that CCleaner!

Any other tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭halkar

If you are confortable around Vista you can start turning off the Windows Search and Windows Tablet PC input services. Blackviper.com have list of services that you can turn off or set to run manual with good decription of those. You can always set services auto if you suffer side effects.

Also run msconfig.exe from run box or cmd box, go to startups tab and clear our all the stuff that you do not need to start when Vista starts. You can leave antivirus or firewall software, thouchpad software if it is laptop, any multimedia key assigning software and clear the rest. You can always start those manually when needed e.g messenger, cd copying stuff. Put the most used apps such as those to your quicklaunch taskbar to start when you need them. Amount of rubbish that goes on startup these days is unbelievable. 70 processes running is very high me thinks. Must take long time to boot up. Mine usually about 40 processes on start up and takes about 40-60 seconds to workable Vista. You can also disable the annoying UAC (thingy asks you confirm everything you want to do in Vista) in Tools tab and clicking on Disable UAC and Launch.

There are a lot of sites with good info on how to optimize Vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other option is to hibernate or suspend instead of a full boot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Advertisement