Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Future of Libertas

Options
  • 12-06-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

So, what now? Nothing left but fond memories and allegations of bad debts?

Even now, I'll have to maintain that they have made Irish-EU politics fare more entertaining.
    Dutch branch of Libertas seeks €350,000 from Declan Ganley

JAMIE SMYTH in Brussels
    Fri, Jun 12, 2009

THE DUTCH branch of Libertas has appealed to Declan Ganley to pay them €350,000 they say they are owed to cover the costs of their European election campaign.

Libertas Spain has also expressed disappointment at the lack of financial support they got from the Libertas founder during the campaign, which saw the 14 Libertas parties across Europe pick up just a single seat in France.

“At this moment I have total bills of €350,000, which are in Declan’s name. I am not personally responsible for them,” said Eline van den Broek, the 28-year-old political scientist who led Libertas in the Netherlands.

Ms van den Broek told The Irish Times yesterday she had been assured by Mr Ganley that he would pay the money required to finance the party’s campaign in the elections. She said he had signed off on a campaign budget worth €1.1 million.

But she said she had still not received the cash despite making an emergency trip to Ireland in the middle of the campaign.

“I travelled to his home in Galway and waited until 2am to speak to him. When he came back from canvassing he told me he would pay the money,” said Ms van den Broek, who added that she felt Mr Ganley would hand over the money.

In a statement last night a Libertas spokesman said at no stage was any candidate “promised” money.

“At every stage in our campaign, we made clear that all of the money we spent would have to be raised from donors and supporters. We have always said that we would spend what we could raise, and thankfully in most member states we have raised enough to meet all campaign requirements.

“In the case of the Netherlands, we will continue to work with the Dutch team, providing all the necessary support to ensure that they can service any remaining requirements within the necessary time frame and in accordance with regulatory guidelines.”

The Dutch branch of Libertas spent €350,000 on its campaign on one million leaflets and TV adverts. The cash was raised on a personal contribution of €20,000 from Ms van den Broek and bank loans. But the party ran out of cash during the campaign and could not pay people to distribute its leaflets or pay a TV channel to broadcast the adverts.

In the elections Libertas won just 14,000 votes in the Netherlands and did not come close to taking a seat.

Ms van den Broek said she still thought Mr Ganley would provide the money to cover the debts and was not at the stage of taking legal action against him. “I think he has no bad intentions. I would ask what would his motivation be for not paying?”

The Dutch newspaper Volkskrant reported yesterday that Libertas Spain was considering taking legal action because it had received only a fraction of the €4 million it said it had been promised by Mr Ganley. But Miguel Duran, who headed the Libertas Spain list in the elections, refused to confirm the comments.

The future of Libertas’s European organisation is expected to be decided in the coming days. The office in Brussels has already laid off staff.

© 2009 The Irish Times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

he pisses off out of politics?
    and the party dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It serves them right for believing anything Ganley said. It's unfortunate, but they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Well its not like we didnt see this coming?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60607398&postcount=390

Is this the risk of running your party like a company rather then an actual party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Rabble

The really good thing is that the No campaign wont have any funding next time round. Even this govt should be able to push it through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Rabble wrote: »
    The really good thing is that the No campaign wont have any funding next time round. Even this govt should be able to push it through!
    Yes, it's great that a treaty that the government "backs" needs to be pushed through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Rb wrote: »
    Yes, it's great that a treaty that the government "backs" needs to be pushed through.
    If people would bother their holes to find out about it instead of following the which ever party line is shouted loudest, it wouldn't have to be pushed.

I'm hardly surprised Libertas is falling apart now, although I wouldn't be surprised if they come back under another name at some point. I'm curious to see if Ganley will pay his debts or just do a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Ganley's 785 MEPs will make that money back in no time.

Hopefully Libertas will soon be forgotten, remembered every now and again as a short and humorous, if slightly embarassing, tale in contemporary Irish and European history.

Advertisement