Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teen Hit by 30,000 MPH Meteorite, Survives?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Can't leave a foot long scar on something that's only 3 inches.

(awaits penis joke-its in there somewhere)
    That's what you say to all the women, right, Brian?! :p
    stovelid wrote: »
    Moral: excessive masturbation provides an invaluable, protective callus shield on your hands.
    Well, if I needed another reason, that's a damn good one!

I don't really, though ...
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Edit: you're way off according to my calculations. im assuming the "pea sized" meteorite didnt way more than 2 grams, and with E=0.5mv^2, i get 2.304x10^12 J (joules)

according to WolframAlpha, 2.304x10^12 J of energy is roughly equal to or roughly 1/11th of the energy produced by nuclear reactors from the ENTIRE world!:eek:
    Has CM been Tea_Bagged?!! :eek:

Apparently not ... this time!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

Time to move this to the nerds forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theres a nerd forum? Oh wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overheal wrote: »
    Theres a nerd forum? Oh wait
    Actually, this is the nerd forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I'd like to see Dead Like Me again. Any tv channels showing it?

Only illegal ones. You might need to surf the channel to find it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/space/5511619/14-year-old-hit-by-30000-mph-space-meteorite.html
    "The teenager survived the strike, the chances of which are just 1 in a million - but with a nasty three-inch long scar..."

"At first I just saw a large ball of light"

Sounds like something out of Harry Potter to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

sdonn wrote: »
    Sounds like something out of Harry Potter to me...

lol isn't the new Harry Potter movie coming out soon. Maybe it's some new way of advertising the movie. Like in that episode of the Simpsona when they thought they found an angel's skeleton and it turned out to be a hoax set up by the people who were opening a new mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Something traveling so fast that it leaves a fkn crater would have just pulverized his hand no matter what angle it made contact with it.

Actually one would think even the impact with earth - which allegedly left that big crater - would have generated enough energy to kill him. I mean if it came off his hand he must have been pretty close to that impact.

This seems to have 'bull' written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

A kid with the name Gerrit Blank only deserves to get hit with a meteorite in my opinion. What type of name is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

A kid with the name Gerrit Blank only deserves to get hit with a meteorite in my opinion. What type of name is that?
    German?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

yah inorite, one time I got hit by a meteorite and I barely felt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I doubt if the crater was caused by the force of impact, something the size of a pea would have been slowed by the athmosphere. However a crater could have been formed by extreme heat rapidly evaporating moisture in the soil, explaining a split second delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭powerzjim

demon child

Advertisement