Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skip bag

Options
  • 12-06-2009 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all

A rented house a few doors up got an A1 waste skip bag about 3 weeks ago. The bag has been sitting on the footpath filled since then. There has been people from outside the estate in having a route.

Is there anything I can do to get it removed (other than paying for it!)? The people who rent the house don't speak any English - so talking to them is ruled out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Cutie_pc

PS mods if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move my post :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Contact the litter warden or your local council? I'd be suprised if it's legal. In fact i wouldn't be shocked to find that even normal skips are technically illegal dumping unless you have permission to put them on a public path or road. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spockety wrote: »
    In fact i wouldn't be shocked to find that even normal skips are technically illegal dumping unless you have permission to put them on a public path or road. Anyone know?
    Most councils have a skip licencing procedure in place.

Victor wrote: »
    Most councils have a skip licencing procedure in place.

I presume responsibility lies with the skip co. then? My folks have got skips loads of times and I don't recall ever having to get a council license.

Wonder what the terms of the licenses are...

I imagine the skip company usually organises it.

http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/PERMITS/Pages/SkipPermit.aspx

Of course, skips bags aren't skips. :) Or are they?

EDIT: Skip bags are skips - see the definition of skip in bye-law 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I am confused by the whole skip bag thing. Surely anyone could get a skipbag in any woodies and use it wherever I wanted regardless of if the skip bag company have a permit.
    If a skipbag is a skip does that mean I can't call the county council.
    Sorry I was so slow to reply to you

• Advertisement

Not a problem.

I think you should talk to the council.

Firstly thanks for all your advise.

I rang the council today, litter warden called to the people today and told them they have until Friday to remove it or they will be getting daily fines.

The litter warden took my number when I rang today and called me on his way as he got lost :) Really nice guy, said the skip bag is fully of household waste and bills etc which is illegal. He asked me what I wanted the outcome to be - eh to have it gone! he asked if i wanted them fined or just told to get rid of it. He gave me his mobile to call if it isn't gone my Friday.

Interestingly he also rang A1 waste and told them if the person rings to have it collected before Friday that they have to collect it by then or they will also be fined.

He told me that he spends half of his day dealing with skip bags as people pick them up in woodies/ tesco and fill them up but never arrange ot have them collected.

I am delighted that it sorted so quickly by dublin coco :)

PS He said repeatedly that my name would not be mentioned to the people!

Great outcome. Not surprised to find yer man is dealing with skip bags constantly, they are a friggin eyesore and left all over the place for weeks on end. They are an easy in as they are free to take away from DIY stores, but maybe people need to be told that there is a time limit on them, and they can't just leave them sitting outside on the pavement for weeks while they drop bits and pieces into it every so often.

Hi
    A final update, when I got home last night the skip bag was gone :)
    I am very happy its gone and so impressed with the litter warden

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Haroldscross

spockety wrote: »
    Contact the litter warden or your local council? I'd be suprised if it's legal. In fact i wouldn't be shocked to find that even normal skips are technically illegal dumping unless you have permission to put them on a public path or road. Anyone know?

You only need a permit for a skip if its in a pay and display area.
    You can leave a skip on a road or footpath once its collected by A1 or whay ever skip company it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

sorry for hijacking this old post, but does anyone know where i can pick up "free" skip bags anymore? i was in woodies and they are charging €14 for the smallest, and something like €50 to collect... dont worry, i am not going to leave it in my garden for weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sbut does anyone know where i can pick up "free" skip bags anymore?
    Check the refuse company that would be collecting it?

Advertisement