Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert: reasons why a budget deficit can be a good thing?

• 12-06-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hello. I have my economics exam on wednesday and I'm really quite awful at grasping economic theories and what not, so I'm basically trying to learn from past paper questions. Anyway, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this question;
    Discuss two positive consequences of a gov. current budget deficit

So, I know a deficit is expansionary and stimulates the economy, but im not really sure how to answer this, the marking scheme is two marks per point, and then 3 marks each for explaining the point.

any help would be really appreciated, thank you !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Nicked from p.19 of this marking scheme:
    1. It stimulates the economy
      Through the multiplier, it increases aggregate demand and reduces unemployment.
    2. Public sector pay cuts
      Public sector union may be more willing to take pay cuts if they know the government hasn't much money. Similarly the public would be more willing to have taxes raised than if there were a large surplus.
    3. May be funding good things
      Paying higher teachers' wages may get better teachers, or it may be funding hiring more nurses which are good for society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

point 4. If you use the budget deficit to buy bigger guns than your neighbour, you can just invade them and take all their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

thank you very much the economist, for going to the trouble of finding the answer, i should have looked harder!
    although tbh, im not sure how well point 4 would go down with the examiner...

Advertisement